Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF - PRIDE (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WOTF - PRIDE
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero, here is what I see:

quote:

CURRENT SCORECARD
luapc: 74 MVP
EricJamesStone: 68
Spaceman: 48
Chris: 36
Kathleen Dalton-Woobury: 22
KayTi: 12
annepine: 8
snapper: 8
IB: 8
darklight: 8
arriki: 8
kathyton: 6
tchern: 6
tchernabyelo: 6 <--is the same person as ^
crank: 4
icared: 4
bent tree: 4
Skadder: 4
NoTimeToThink: 2
Zero: 2

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
tchernabyelo, to answer the question of what counts as a year and what counts as a quarter:

The WotF year runs from October 1st of one year to September 30th of the next. Q1 is october 1st through december 31st inclusive and so on.

If you sent something today, it would be for Q1 2009.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my understanding, but I see lots of people talking about the current period as being Q4 2008...

I sent both my entires in June (one in 07, one in 08) so by the WOTF reckoning I believe that's Q3 2007 (HM, for a story that sold at pro rate to the next market it went to) and Q3 2008 (not even an HM, for a story that hasn't sold yet).

And yes, I'm guessing that tchern=tchernabyelo. Some people seem to have trouble with my nickname, I can't imagine why!

Oh, ETA - is luapc on 74? I make 10 rejects = 20, 9 HMs = 36, and one Semifinalist = 8, which sums to 64. Still a phenomenal record, though.

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited October 23, 2008).]

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, you guys rule!

Also, tch, I'm including the Q4-2008 in the "nice try" category and will adjust them later accordingly.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the quarter system followed by the staff of Galaxy Press, who run the WotF contest. Yes, June is Q3
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Spaceman, you deserve the persistance award for faithfully submitting to the contest (consecutively) since 2005. I hereby award you the gold star of valor.

Aw, shucks.

Regarding which quarter is when, the easiest way to remember is that they READ the 1st quarter during the real 1st quarter, so you are submitting for the 1st quarter during the real 4th quarter.

You are always one ahead.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Oh, and regarding quarter finalist. They changed the name from quarter finalist to honorable mention maybe two years ago. Too many people got confused between "quarter finalist" and "Finalist for the quarter." Thus, renamed to Honorable Mention. It's the same thing.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Thanks for that clarification. I can see why the need for a change.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Chalk me up for another semifinalst...
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, congratulations!

I didn't know we keep score. I found out last week that in my first ever submission to the contest, I got an honorable mention. Yeah! I was bouncing off the walls. I wasn't going to submit this quarter, but now I'm frantically trying to finish a revise and get the story in the mail.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, just found this thread. I've got WOTF pride - three nice tries floating around somewhere.

I can't remember exactly which quarter they were submitted (this is the problem with having two homes... your rejection slips are never around when you need them!) but I'm pretty sure they were 2004, 2005, 2007.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I've lost interest in short stories and instead find I'm more productive (and more skilled) working on my several novel ideas. So if anyone wants to take charge of this beast be my guest. I won't be updating it.
Zero
Member # 3619

Oh and PS. Congrats to everyone!
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I should start a WOTF shame thread. I haven't submitted since my HM in Q308

But i did have a nice try in Q208 bringing me up two points

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited March 23, 2009).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
My WOTF history is as follows:

Q4 2007: Honorable Mention
Q3 2008: Honorable Mention
Q4 2008: Honorable Mention
Q1 2009: Finalist!

=^)

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, congrats and good luck!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Brad. Good luck on winning!
Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

My streak of consecutive entries ended. I missed Q109.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
lolligagger.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I did too. I'm a page or two away from the end of a first draft and I hope to spend the next few months polishing it up for Q3.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you and I are about running neck-and-neck on this one (I've only got a couple of pages left to my monstrosity.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.