Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Nobel prize judge slams American literature

Author Topic: Nobel prize judge slams American literature
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
This is from early October, but interesting. The judge does seem to have pre-judged IMHO.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't look, but, if it's the story I heard at the time---and WARNING! this quick rant is going to involve political positions---it's just another example of the European positions, simultaneously anti-American and leftist, that infest Western Europe at nearly every level.

Every ostensibly-neutral organization gradually moves to the left, especially once it's out of the hands of those who actually created and funded it. The MacArthur Foundation, the Ford Foundation, and the Nobel Prize Committee.

(Does anybody really think Al Gore or Jimmy Carter really deserved their Nobel Peace Prizes?)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Leftist and anti-American aren't always the same thing, though they've been able to share platforms for some while now courtesy of a particularly hawkish regime in the US.

"Infesting". Interesting word choice, Robert.

Europe is actually a lot less anti-American than most Americans seem to think. There's a big difference between not liking the foreign policies of a country's ruling regime, and not liking members of the population of that country. I sometimes think that certain interests in America find it very convenient to conflate the two.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, tchernabyelo.

Engdahl doesn't speak for Europe's population of about 700 million people, a federation of nations considerably less united than the United States. Here in Britain, we can barely hold England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales together let alone agree upon our attitude towards “American literature”.

Furthermore, in the literature establishment such as it is, both here and in the USA, there isn’t even common ground on what constitutes “literature”, let alone the American variety. I would include F&SF in “literature” and in SF at least, American fiction leads the world.

If believing in liberal values--liberty, the rights of others to live their lives without unnecessary government or religious interference, and to care for the weak and vulnerable--is “infestation”, then I’ll vote for rats and roaches every time. And because of our liberal respect for the views of others, accusations of “infestation” from foreigners--who understand us better than we do ourselves on account of their frequent visits to our shores, understanding of our languages, knowledge of our various national histories and appreciation of the diversity of our cultures--never reinforce prejudices some feel against Americans.

The Guardian is Britain's foremost rat ‘n roach colony and here's its evil, leftist, subversive demolition of Engdahl's ignorant nonsense:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/oct/01/nobelprize.usa

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, being a genre writer and knowing the disdain that even American literary elites hold for it, I doubt anything genre would be considered literary by this man, so I could care less what he thinks. After all, I don't think any genre writer, American or otherwise, ever has, or ever will have, the chance at a Nobel Prize, even though there certainly are genre works that outshine some of the literary winners. It's all in your point of view, and if the Nobel judges refuse to consider everyone and every type of literature equally, they're always going to miss some treasures, so it's really a shame.

And to be fair to my fellow European genre writers, they are as left out as American genre writers. Someday I think that many genre works will be considered literary and worthy of Nobels, but probably not any day soon.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

In response to the statement that a genre writer will never win the nobel prize, Doris Lessing won the 2007 prize. She's written at least five science-fiction novels and is on record as stating that she considers the science fiction books as her most important books. She's a strong supporter of Greg Bear's Blood Music and she's been quite open about writing science fiction and being a strong supporter of it.

Having said that, she probably won on the strength of her psychological and social novels rather than her science fiction work.

Getting back to the thread topic, it's the ridiculous argument of one man. I think the nobel panel's choices over the past few years have more to do with the fashionability of "exotic" writers rather than any real anti-Americanism. There's a good handful of American writers who should be in contention every year and it will be a real tragedy if they're not recognised within their lifetimes.

Cheers,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares what he says? I'm never going to win it (yeah, it's all about me).

Besides, despite getting a big fat cheque, they don't print your story or send you a copy--not as far as I can tell, anyway.

WOTF is better (except for the big fat cheque bit).

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I would consider McCarthy's The Road as genre literature, and it won the Pullitzer a year or two ago.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
And there's Margaret Atwood, who despite spending a great deal of time denying that she writes science fiction, writes science fiction. And there was that Kurt Vonnegut chap. And others...

It's an old argument and unlikelyt o be resoved. There is snobbishness in "literary" (usually = academic) circles, on both sides of the Atlantic, about genre fiction. Much genre fiction, however, continues to sell far better than much literary fiction. The literary elite are, frankly, just fighting a defensive rearguard action against what they see as "mediocrity" while failing to address the actual concerns and issues of most real people (who are not, and do not want to read about, college professors).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

It just goes to show how uneducated I am about the Nobel, and also how little I care about the award, or this judge's opinion.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought of writing an autobiographical novel about how I struggled for success as an SF writer, but met with only failure. I'm sure I could win the Pulitzer if I did.

True, "leftist" and "anti-American" are not strictly interchangable, at least as far as Western Europe goes---but "infest" is the correct term for both.

A while ago, I saw a couple of comparisons of anti-American varieties from Europe, where one writer put out "I hate the United States because..." and listed a reason---and compared it with another writer who wrote "I hate the United States because..." and listed a reason one hundred eighty degrees opposite those of Writer Number One.

So in these two writers, and I don't doubt many others, anti-Americanism is reflexive---they hate the United States first and only then come up with reasons.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.