Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Accuracy Versus Believability (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Accuracy Versus Believability
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm posting this because I think it would be a good topic to discuss, especially for beginning authors. Basically, it regards the difference between being accurate and being believable, because the two are not the same thing at all where fiction is concerned.

You know the saying that truth is stranger than fiction? I find the statement a very important thing to keep in mind while I write. Generally, I don't worry if something is accurate or not as long as it is believable. Because of that, I pay more attention to comments regarding believability than I worry about being 100 percent accurate.

One example where this came into play was in a hard sci-fi story I wrote that referred to metallic hydrogen. For anyone who doesn't know, this is a real substance that forms under great pressure by compressing hydrogen into a stable solid. Needless to say, this was difficult for some people to accept, but it was critical to the story and the plot would have fallen apart without it, so it had to stay.

In the end, I got around the believability issue by making the substance believable enough in the story that it made the skeptical people accepting enough while reading it to finish the story and check afterward on its accuracy. The story ended up as a semifinalist in the Writers Of The Future Contest.

Of course, this was a hard sci-fi story with a lot of information and science in it, so this kind of thing was somewhat expected. Still, there are many ordinary day-to-day things we think are accurate, but aren't. Some of these have become urban legends. Others are just accepted as fact, while in truth, aren't, and if included in a story might cause some confusion.

So what do you think of this, and do you have any other examples where being accurate and unbelievable was a worse choice than being inaccurate but believable?

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited November 19, 2008).]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting question.

Reminds me of an interview with Sherman Alexie, the author of The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. The book is semi-autobiographical, and during one year the main character loses three family members. Alexie said he fudged a little because the truth of that year would be unbelievable to the reader. The truth was, that growing up on the reservation, he lost nine family members that year.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to come up with good examples from books that I've read. Many spec-fi books go through a tougher "fact checking" process than some news outlets.

I do find that there are areas where you can be unbelievable and get away with it more than others. I see good and bad examples of this more on TV than I do in fiction writing. One of the worst/best offenders is the WB series Smallville. If you haven't seen it, the show is a sometimes wonderfully written, sometimes god-awfully written series dramatizing the late-teenage/early 20's life of Superman. It has a lot of good examples of the things I think you can do and things you can't. For example, theoretically, every time a bullet hits superman, he should be knocked back a little even if he isn't hurt - you can make his skin super-strong and I have no problem, but there are basic issues of momentum here, and he clearly isn't heavier than the average man! However, this really doesn't bother me or most others -- it's Superman... we just don't think about how momentum really works there.

However, using the same issue - just momentum - there are flagrant violations that piss me off in the show, and I imagine they irritate a lot of people. For example, there is a scene where Superman's mom and Lex Luthor's dad are trapped in a cage-like elevator, some dozens of stories up in a skyscraper. Some evil guy has them locked in there playing Saw-like games to see if they survive, and in the end he decides to kill them by dropping the elevator to the ground. Superman realizes where his mom is at the last moment, and rushes across the city with his super speed to arrive at the bottom of the elevator shaft just in time and catches the elevator (which really is a cubic cage, so his mom and Mr. Luthor can see him just fine) at the bottom of the shaft.

Now, you mentioned something about metallic hydrogen, so I assume you know enough about physics to see the problem here - it doesn't matter that the elvator was caught. It wasn't the evil, evil cement at the bottom of the elevator shaft that was going to kill them, it was the small issue of switching from being in freefall for 1000 feet or so and then being violently accelerated to "stop" by the cement. That they were stopped by Superman makes no difference; they would just splatter all over the bottom of the cell/elevator in an event that would no doubt horrify Superman for the rest of his life.

It's hard for me to call out the things that make one of these acceptable and the other bad. Perhaps it is the size of the violation of Newton's Laws? I think a better explanation is that one violates people's intuitions more than the other. When we think of someone getting shot, we usually think about the bullet piercing skin -- it's the giant hole in you that is the problem, not so much the pushing power. Kind of like how the average person thinks that wearing a bullet proof vest makes bullets just bounce off of you (like you're Superman), rather than knock you to the ground and break your ribs.

I'd prefer to be accurate and unbelievable, as I have a hard time thinking of a case where that was really a bad thing.

As far as skirting the real laws, there are places you can do it and places you can't. I would never, ever, ever write a book that involved doing much on a ship without spending a year or two learning about sailing. Boat enthusiasts are plentiful and loud if you screw things up. As are horse enthusiasts. Physics... you can get away with more. Don't call the engine a warp drive, and make some effort to convince people that there is a whole new branch of science that departs from what we know today that lets you go faster than light.

These are my best guesses at the rules of "accuracy." I'd actually love to hear from someone with an example where accurate was bad b/c it was more unbelievable than sweeping things under the rug. I'm surprised you got pushback on metallic hydrogen - I'd go with it in a story, as long as I had good reason to believe that such a thing was possible in the fantasy world of the story.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
An unbelievable sounding thing like 'metallic hydrogen' can be very believable if you explain it, then you'll have to watch that info-dump problem.
Believability of crucial points of a story often depend on the reader. For example, I posted something on the Baens site awhile ago. One of the slush readers found my story implausible because my MC received some poison from someone from the Hemlock Society. They never heard of it and thought such a group was not only rediculous but the name of it was cliche. Fortunatly for me, another reader educated him that the group is very real.
It is odd that readers will complain about a dragons weight or if it expells ice but have no problem believing in a flying/firebreathing beast in the first place.
Same thing with superman. I agree that ignoring laws governing kinetic energy as phony but why is it that ignoring laws governing gravity is acceptable?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
If you change the rules of physics, you had better be believable.

I did a story idea where our electronic equipment and electrical output was the cause of global warming by effecting Earth's magnetism, which causes a different pull on the sun's magnetism, twisting it tighter, which caused the sun to heat up.

This would be a situation where believability would be of absolute importance, even if one was not dealing with absolute accuracy.

I am a person who feels that believability is everything. Many of my stories change physics in some way to make them work, so it is hard to be accurate. As long as someone can believe what I wrote based on my basic premise, I have done my job.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to believe believability is more important than accuracy. But then, accuracy falls into believability. For instance, if something is inaccurate, and I know it to be inaccurate, there goes my believability.

I have less experience in sci fi, but certainly in fantasy, the issue is not so much accuracy but consistency. Consistent laws, consistent stretches of physics/ magic/ human ability, etc.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood gets away with being both inaccurate and unbelievable. Of course, sometimes they make it work. For instance Spider-man 2: A minuture sun gets dumped into the river. The water doesn't boil. There's no stream. But in the end, I didn't care. I cared more about Peter Parker, so I could forgive the dumb plot device.

However, I suspect that fiction in written form doesn't afford the same leniency.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

rstegman, your comment on changing physics so it's no longer based upon reality is an interesting point. If believability is all we as writers need to do, (which I believe) then maybe by trying too hard to be accurate makes matters harder for a softer kind of sci-fi. If the science is unbelievable in the first place, but just sounds techy, like in Star Trek and Star Wars, maybe that's enough. After all, there's a lot of people who grew up around Star Trek, and especially Star Wars. Most of them it seems could care less about the science as long as it's a good story.

So what is it do you think makes Star Trek and Star Wars so liked even though the science is far from accurate by any stretch of the imagination? Not that I think hard sci-fi is ever going away completely, but I do think the audience for it is dwindling, so is this kind of sci-fi (innacurate but entertaining) what readers want now? If so, then how important is accuracy?

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

There are different catagories of stories.
Readers will go to what is close to their preferences.

Star Trek was based on hard science. Only a couple things were done as plot devices, such as teleportation, warp drives, and Spock's mental links. Look at how many consumer products we have today based on what they had in the show. Think Flip phone as compared to communicator for example. The original Star Trek, by Gene Roddenberry, was hard science fiction.

Star Wars, on the other hand, falls into the SCIENCE FANTASY catagory. There is nothing to explain the impossible things they do. It looks scientific, so it is accepted as scientific. One could make everything scientific if you really tried hard, but it would take a lot of work.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars is Science Fantasy? Next you'll say spaceships don't need to bank to turn.

Part of the reason Star Wars is popular is because it uses elements of traditional myths and invokes imagery from romanticized stories of real-life events, mainly from the World Wars and pre-modern piracy. The story reminds our subconscious of childhood imaginations while showing us something new.

Side note: Scientists are currently developing technology similar to warp drives, though we might not see the technology working in our lifetimes. I think Star Trek serves as proof of how hard sci-fi writers can influence future technology.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I think believability is all in the details. Many times, the broad, more wild modifications you have in your world are easier to take in and accept, but if you extend these new laws of physics in unbelievable ways, then it becomes unbelievable.

The best example that comes to mind, which has already been discussed, is TV's Smallville (which revolves around Superman in his teens/20's).

I am willing to accept all the fantastic qualities of Superman. He is super strong. He runs/moves very fast. He can see through walls / see with X-ray vision, etc. etc. These are fundamental elements to the story, and if you don't accept these fantastic elements to begin with, then you simply won't be able to enjoy the story very much. And some of the effects they've added on enhance the believability, and they help accept the "magic" of the world. For example, the fact that when he is running super fast there is a blurred image of himself to anyone watching is kinda cool. If he really was running faster than our eye processes information, it's quite possibly we could *think* we are seeing him in multiple places at once, and it would look blurry like that.

However, one thing that has always bugged me (more often they did this in earlier seasons) was the unrealistic leap from "Superman is super strong" to "objects which strike Superman shatter to pieces." If a normal-strength human person swings a baseball bat at Superman, often in the show they will have bat shatter and break. I don't know about you, but I certainly can't swing a baseball bat against, say, a concrete wall hard enough to *shatter* the bat. It will just go *thud* and stop. Am I supposed to believe that something about Superman makes inanimate objects inherently more fragile than they usually are, and prone to shattering? In one episode they even had a steel MACE shatter when it strikes Superman's face. Seriously?

Another example, taken when I saw a promotional clip from the upcoming movie Twilight (based on the book, about super strong/fast vampires), involves the physics of jumping for creatures with super strength. Unless something has happened to gravity, any creature that jumps in the air WILL travel in a parabola, arcing through the air. No amount of sheer strength can allow you to leap one foot off the ground and travel horizontally dozens of feet. If you want to travel that horizontal distance via jumping you simply have to go higher in the air than that, unless you can shut gravity off for a while. Just in the short clip I saw, I was immediately put off by this "I can leap very far distances" therefore "I can leap in the air, travel completely horizontally for a few hundred feet, then land."

For me, these kinds of extensions, more so than most of the "magical" elements of the show, were what brought me out of the story and into critic mode, because they were a trumped up, unrealistic extension of the world that has been established. So my suggestion would be, add all the fantastic magic you want, but make it consistent. Especially in a world that is based on known laws of physics, but with added magical elements, these basic interactions are a must.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
My private opinion on Star Wars: I believe that it is a children's version of Dune. Go and check. You find tons of similarities between the both, but the Star Wars plot is reduced to Good VS Evil and of course "I'm your father!". Dune's plot is much more complex, going from religious themes to ecology.

PS: Not really according to this thread's topic but I started thinking so...

Anakin Skywalker = Paul Muad'Dib Atreides
Both come from a desert planet (Ok, Paul was born on Caladan), they both have special powers and are suppose to fulfill some ancient prophecy about balance in the universe. They both lose their wife in childbirth, both women give birth to twins (a boy and a girl, where the girl is passive and the boy becomes the new hero, meets his physically and psychologically mutated father and delivers him from his wretched state). Both heroes have older instructors (Obi-Wan and Yoda VS Gurney Halleck and Thufir Hawat). There is also a significant similarity between Han Solo and Duncan Idaho.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited November 20, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited November 20, 2008).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
AstroStewart,
Your mention of the Twilight jumping vampires reminded me of another movie that really really bugged me: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
Apparently people can be trained to be so light that they can run across palm fronds suspended in the air, or jump straight up and then shift sideways without touching any solid object. I could accept such things in movies like The Matrix because it made sense in a virtual framework, but it really bugged me in Crouching Tiger.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdt
Member # 3889

- posted      Profile for jdt   Email jdt         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not only science fiction that people have a hard time believing. My current work features a convent in Florence, Italy where a monk named Savonarola lived in the fifteenth century. Yes, the Dominicans used the same word convent for men's and women's facilities. But I got flak because "monks stay in a monastery, nuns in a convent."

I changed it to keep it from being a block to the average reader. But if I'm lucky and get it published, I guess I'll get letters from the Dominicans.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
MartinV, that's an interesting take on DUNE and STAR WARS. Thanks for sharing.

I think one of the biggest problems with accuracy vs believability is when someone tries to base a story (or even just a story incident) on something that actually happened to them or to someone they know.

Often, if you try to be completely accurate, you want to leave in things that will detract from the story and its believability. How many of us can remember commenting on some problem in a story only to be told, "But that's the way it really happened."?

Sometimes, in order to make something believable in a story, you have to sacrifice accuracy (or at least some of the details of the source story). This is the "truth really is stranger than fiction" thing--just because it really happened, doesn't mean you can get readers to believe it in a story.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

jdt, the monastery/convent thing can go the other direction too.

My mom worked as a nurse at a nursing home that was part of a monastery, which had only nuns.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my dictionary, a "monastery" is a community of monks, or the building they live in. A "monk" is a male, though I think the ofiginal Greek monachos may be gender neutral.

A "convent," on the other hand, can be inhabited by monks, friars, or nuns, and is either a "monastery" or "nunnery," though in popular use is is only a nunnery for nuns.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
MartinV,

It's not that Star Wars is a ripoff a Dune, it's that both tap into the monomyth, the hero's journey. Under that light, one could draw comparisons also to LOTR, and a host of other stories.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Hero's journey or not, I still think that George Lucas intentionally copied stuff from Dune. Star Wars Episode IV came out in 1977, while Dune was published in 1965, Dune Messiah in 1969, Children of Dune in 1976. See what I'm getting at? All the Dune books that coincide with the Star Wars story came out BEFORE Star Wars.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The only influence on "Star Wars" I recall George Lucas acknowledging, was that of Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress," whose main idea---a warrior trying to get a princess to safety, while being followed by two bumblers---he lifted intact, and added other details to.

The award-giving ceremony at the end of "Star Wars" rips off, of all things, Leni Riefenstal's "The Triumph of the Will," and the enormous Nazi Party rallies Hitler staged.

You can pick through "Star Wars"---or just about anything---and find that this was influenced by that, and so on, and so forth. Probably George Lucas read Dune and maybe its sequels---and, if he liked it, why not let himself be influenced by it?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a piece on the monomyth (or "The Hero's Journey"), which I'm learning is a "basic narrative structure which appears in many cultures":

http://www.subliminalpersuasionbook.com/blog/subliminal-persuasion/heros-journey-monomyth/

It details the form and how it can be seen in Star Wars.

If Dune and Star Wars are similar, it's because, as ChrisOwens says, they're both following the same pattern--them and countless, countless other stories both written and yet to come.

I think that to deduce that Star Wars copied Dune's ideas with no more evidence than that Dune was first is like saying that the sun rose at dawn because the alarm clock went off--just because things happen in order doesn't mean they're connected.

Cheers,
Pat

P.S. Thanks for this. I don't often buy books on writing but I've just added "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell to my Christmas list.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I think many of you failed to understand what I was trying to say which is no surprise. But I will not drag this indefinite.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin V, I think they understand what you are trying to say, but they don't agree with you.

Do you understand that they are saying your argument does not prove that Lucas based STAR WARS on DUNE just because DUNE came before STAR WARS? Chronology does not prove causality.

Lucas does pay tribute to DUNE in the first STAR WARS movie by having C-3PO wander past a sandworm skeleton as he crosses the desert, so we know that Lucas was aware of DUNE, but we don't believe he deliberately based the STAR WARS movies on DUNE. If he had, where is the Spice?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Spice = force?

In my first post about similarity I was refering to details of the plot itself. Those are not the part of the Hero's Journey. Explain those and I will be content.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Well, the spice comes from the desert planet, but the force doesn't. It comes from midiclorians (or however that's spelled).

The fulfillment of ancient prophecy is very definitely part of the Hero's journey.

Losing a wife in childbirth is basically for convenience (makes the widower more tragic and gets the wife out of the way) and is used a lot in "fairy tales" and the like, so it could qualify as folklore if not Hero's journey.

The male and female twins are also folkloric in that they are anima and animus (or yin and yang).

The mentor is definitely Hero's journey, and both Han Solo and Duncan Idaho could count as mentors of sorts as well. Duncan Idaho is not a criminal, by the way, nor is he a potential rival.

I don't know. The similarities are interesting, but not conclusive. So maybe we will just have to agree to disagree.

aspirit
Member # 7974

I agree... that writers can sacrifice accuracy if they can retell ancient stories in a way that feels fresh.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the similarities between Star Wars and Dune simply indicate that both are based on the monomyth form, which as Kathleen says, defines basic plot devices such as the mentor. One could make equally spurious claims about Star Wars being based on any other story that follows the form, LOTR for example. (In fact, now that I think of it, Dune reminded me a little of LOTR.) I do not think one should accuse writers of copying without very clear evidence--more than happenstance.

I've not thought about it before, but this monomyth thing seems to tap into a subliminal level in the audience. Is it one reason that Star Wars appealed to so many, including vast audiences that would not normally have paid money for an SF movie?

And, is using forms like the monomyth, that appeal subliminally, one way of building belief in the story such that the audience willingly blinds itself to (some) inaccuracies?

Cheers,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited November 25, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I found it a little unbelievable that, in the first volume at least, they would prefer to rely on an unreliable drug like spice in order to successfully star-travel rather than develop computers to do the job. There was a certain amount of rationalization to justify this, but I found the fundamental idea unsound. Neo-Luddite ideas like that tend to thrive in backwaters and not in the main culture...
MartinV
Member # 5512

They used to have computers for navigation...
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

Robert Nowall said:
>>According to my dictionary, a "monastery" is a community of monks, or the building they live in. A "monk" is a male, though I think the ofiginal Greek monachos may be gender neutral.
A "convent," on the other hand, can be inhabited by monks, friars, or nuns, and is either a "monastery" or "nunnery," though in popular use is is only a nunnery for nuns.

Somebody had better go take those nuns into custody then. There are some sad, cold, monks living on the street since the nuns took over. :P

steffenwolf
Member # 8250

The Star Wars/Dune discussion reminds me of another I've seen:

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/05/08/harry-potter-and-star-wars/

I agree that in both cases the similarities tie into monomyth and archetypes as suggested by Campbell.

On the subject of Campbell and the monomyth, I thought the ideas in "Hero with a Thousand Faces" were interesting, though incredibly dry. I looked up a summary of the book online before I read it, and in the end found the summary to be more useful. The summary was very concise, saying in just a few hundred words what the book takes many hundreds of pages to say in a nearly unreadable manner.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

quote:

There are some sad, cold, monks living on the street since the nuns took over. :P

So, the monks ain't getting nun, huh?

Sorry. I'll go now.

LintonRobinson
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for LintonRobinson           Edit/Delete Post 
I call this the "truth vs fact perplex" and it CONSTANTLY crops up in much of my writing.

I write about life in prison and crime setings a lot, as well as in Mexico.

For some reason, everybody thinks they know what prison is like, though they've never been there. You see TV critics who've never been out of Manhattan in their lives talking about the "realism" of the Oz show, which would make any guard or inmate laugh their head off.

So I write something from real life, like an inmate borrowing a hammer from an officer, then bludgeoning another inmate with it and get all this "critique" about how everybody knows inmates can't have hammers. And there is no point in telling them that they do.
Just like there is no point in telling people that nobody calls smugglers of illegal aliens "coyotes".

They know it to be the truth and you can't argue with the facts.

So you shade things to what people "know" and expect.

What's a little weirder to me is what I call "Hollywood World"... where people immediately accept as true things they don't really beleive in real life.
Of course it's a good idea to drop out of law school to become a rapper... especially if your girlfriend says so. Naturally a guy with no legs will learn how to defeat a KungFu master in six weeks with the proper mental revelation. Of course the chick is going to storm out of the house in a fury when three quick words would have explained the situation. We've seen it all before and we know it's true.

So the real question for writers is: knowing that are you going to write what's real, or what people think is real?

Or put more simply: are you going to make a living or be broke and bitter, probably making people on subways nervous showing them pages of "provable facts" from a bulging briefcase?

Posts: 63 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fox
Member # 3871

- posted      Profile for Fox   Email Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of the opinion that if it's possible to be accurate, you should be accurate, but if you cannot be accurate, you should at least aim at being believable... of course, pretty much everything we write needs to be believable, on one level or another.

Personally, I'm big on history and science... so accuracy and facts are kind of a priority to me (one of the reasons I'm not interested in Journalism--and yes, we capitalize that word where I come from) so it's really irksome to read things that aren't accurate. For example, I recently read Ethan Canin's "The Palace Thief," where the protagonist is a very traditional history teacher at a private all-boys school... ulgh, even typing out that premise irritates me. Anyway, the guy's supposed to be really into history, so the story is riddled with references to ancient Rome--mostly that dirty little century between Sulla and Augustus--intended to make the whole story "believable." Unfortunately, several of the things Canin wrote simply didn't ring true, and in at least one case were utterly backwards, which ruined the illusion for me.

I think most readers out there mainly care for the believability aspect, at the expense of accurately. Recently, I took a story in for a workshop. I wrote about a man who, for a time, worked at a salt mine--and no, sadly I did not grasp the humor in that 'till it was pointed out to me--but I did not have the time to adequately research salt-mining. I saw it as something of a shameful hole in my story--filled in with simple BS and obfuscating descriptors--but no one caught it and, indeed, I was told that my raw fancy was, in fact, "believable."

Ulgh.

Yeah, sorry to rant like this. In the end, everything goes back to my initial statement--If it's possible to be accurate, be accurate, no exceptions.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LintonRobinson
Member # 8325

What's so ugh about it, Fex.

I think maybe you are still edging up to that quantum leap between expository writing and creative writing.

The thing with creative writing is... you create. Not just move the furniture around, you create.

If somebody told you it creeped you out to know that there was nothing behind the facades of buildings on theater flats, what would you think of them? It's not important that a stage flat be archictecturally sound...all is has to do is present to the audience something acccept as being a building in the context they are seeing it.

I hate to give advice to people about creative process, but let me suggest that you think over exerecises towards expanding away from the concrete to what you can create and "sell" to the audience.

They don't want, accurate but unbeleivable: they are quite willing to suspend their disbelief as you romnance them.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fox
Member # 3871

I think there's a big, big difference between imagining a character or a setting and imagining that Julius Caesar was a scion of the law.

Or, to sharpen my point, I don't think the label of "creative writing" applies to people that say 2+2=10.

There is an empirical reality in our world, and writers can't just ignore that. Well, they can, but not if they set the story in "reality." That's the difference, really, between fiction and fantasy. Fiction needs to be accurate to the truths and the uncertainties of the world, fantasy does not.

And the name's Fox, not "fex." I usually wouldn't mind but, you know, it's my name.

[This message has been edited by Fox (edited November 27, 2008).]

Posts: 41 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Error: "2" not in system
Converting "2" to "1"
Verifying "1+1=10"
True

-----
Reality - all of your experiences that determine how things appear to you. (Source: WordNet)

Isn't the point of creative writing to offer readers another reality? Even in fiction not labeled as speculative? I think one of our many challenges is to determine how accurate we need to make information in our stories for readers to believe in the realities we offer.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

2+2=10 is true in base 4 arithmetic.

Fiction doesn't need to be accurate, it just needs to be such that the reader willingly suspends disbelief. Alternative history stories rely on inaccuracy in some sense. Stories of space travel break what we know of physics and our inability to travel faster than light. Only a few of us believe dragons exist.

The trick is, when we write something that's not accurate, to find ways of encouraging the reader to believe it. Call it sleight of hand if you like.

Even regular fiction uses inaccuracy. There are thousands of fiction heroes like Fleming's Bond and Cussler's Pitt who could not in reality survive all the scrapes they get into. We want to believe in larger-than-life heroes and heroines.

Cheers,
Pat

Fox
Member # 3871

I think we're talking about two different sides of the same coin... probably my fault for being so damned inarticulate.

If you address reality, you cannot ignore reality. If you tell a story that takes place on a planet called Earth, or on ~any~ planet, you can't very well toss gravity out the window.

The key to the "suspension of disbelief" is the same as the key to a good lie--wrap it up in a truth. To get away with one thing being utterly fabricated, you have to have 10 things that aren't. Yeah, those're arbitrary numbers.

If you write a story and have a character quote Lincoln, it's my belief that you should NOT make up that quote. That's my main point. I think it's a fairly simple one.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should be as accurate as possible, but mostly keep the rules consistent, if gravity is around and it should stay around, unless you can convince me that it went away. If a reader is having issues believing anything it's probably due more to the writing rather than it being accurate or not. You should be able to sell anything in your story if you can write it well enough.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

It is the old saying,
"You can get someone to swallow a porcupine, but it takes great skill to get them to swallow a second one. "

Accuracy, believability (the porcupine), and consistency, are different creatures.
consistency is key, At the beginning of the story, you set up the believably of your situation, then you must be consistent to the porcupine you already fed the reader.

Accuracy should be striven for, at all times, when it is not part of your porcupine.

I will admit that I originally got into writing science fiction because at the time, I did not have the knowledge to be accurate. I had figured that if I wrote it about far, far away. I could get away with just about anything. I gained the knowledge faster than I gained the skills.

luapc
Member # 2878

The difficulty, I think, is that the term accuracy is relative. When I originally posted this, I was only considering the limited aspect of being accurate where science and history were concerned, but I forgot something. I forgot that I was referring to a world written with, and dependent upon, real world facts that are easily checked and sometimes common knowledge.

The rules for the science and for the history in a story, though, are only dependent upon the world created for the story by the author. In hard sci-fi, that world has to be very close to our own, but from there the requirement gets lees the farther that world is away from our own. As rstegman says, then the only responsibility of the author is to create a believable world with its rules, and to make sure they are followed from there.

So in general, a story must always be accurate and definitely believable, but that doesn't mean it has to be accurate according to the world we live in, only in the world the author presents.

That said, I still believe that sometimes an author does have to write what people believe rather than what is perfectly accurate to achieve believability. I guess we can blame the internet and TV for that. People believe too much of what they see and read. So sometimes believability will trump accuracy. At least, that's what I've concluded

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

I think there are several keys to willing suspension of disbelief, and--especially in F&SF--scientific accuracy isn't necessarily high on the list.

Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind is that the reader wants to suspend disbelief. When she picks up a story of space travel she's already sold on the idea of people careering around the galaxy in impossible ships.

As has been said, consistency is vital. Once they start travelling in space, they'd better not breathe vacuum--or if they do, there needs to be a plausible explanation.

There isn't space in a story to justify every imaginary bit of science by surrounding it with accurate stuff. Hard SF often tries to do that, and it's often impenetrably difficult to follow or plain boring as a result, IMHO.

There are other ways.

One way is to not bother explaining it at all. If the fantastic premise is interesting enough, the reader will suspend disbelief just to see where the story goes. Steampunk is an example, where fantastic machines are powered by steam or clockwork--we know it can't work, but we go with it because it's fun, and often because the retro images are so attractively strong.

Another way is to establish believable characters, and encourage the reader to suspend disbelief by showing the characters--characters she already believes in--believing in the fantastic. The TV series Firefly does this with the Reavers: despite hardly meeting them, our hearts pound at their mention because, if Jayne's scared, they must be truly evil.

Yet another way to establish something unbelievable is to deliver it with, not ten accurate bits of science, but just one. Firefly is notable for the silliness of its space engineering--who in their right mind would sail the galaxy in a ship with but one--unreliable--engine? But in one of the early scenes when we see them causing an explosion in space, it's soundless, as it would be in real life. All the space sequences are devoid of the sounds of explosions, engines, and so on. We only hear Serenity's single engine when she's in "atmo".

With a combination of great imagery, characters who believe in their surroundings and help us believe also, and a few accurate details, Firefly encourages us to suspend our disbelief--and the stories and their characters are so engaging, we happily suspend disbelief.

I think LintonRobinson's right. Believability is more about creativity than accuracy. And, given that audiences want to believe in the incredible, it's more about not destroying their belief than creating it--hence the strong need for consistency in the imaginary world.

Cheers,
Pat

LintonRobinson
Member # 8325

I think you've got the key there, man. It's less about building credibility than just not blowing it.

They bought your book: you've got them from "Once upon a time".

Unless you do something they notice is lame. And lack of detail in the fastenings of first century gladiator armor is not going to do it.

You go in with authority, all you have to do is use it wisely to be credible.

Fox
Member # 3871

Sort of a side-track question:

How do you guys feel about hypocrits? Contradictions? Paradoxes? About establishing a character as being one thing, and then having that character doing something against the previously established personality?

I've noticed that when I do that in a "fiction" story, I'm told that I've done something wrong--I've made the story less believable.

I've also noticed that when I do that in a "nonfiction" story, I'm told I've done something right--I've made the story more believable.

I don't really get the difference. If human beings are walking messes of contradictions in reality, why can't they be the same in fiction?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I think point of view and motivation are crucial in keeping a fictional character believable. And remember that truth really is stranger than fiction. (Also known as "you can get away with things in reality that people won't believe in fiction.")
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kathleen said it well, if I can see inside the character's head and understand why they're acting differently, then I'm very likely to believe.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dinoroxxx
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for dinoroxxx           Edit/Delete Post 
The willing suspension of disbelief is an important factor when writing fiction, but there is a point that "paralysis through analysis" can take hold of the writer. I've found that if I start to get sidetracked on these sorts of things usually I'm not doing my primary job as a writer -- TELL A GOOD STORY (of course this is simplification).

Think about it for a second. One of my personal problems with modern novels is that too many of their authors aren't well versed in the art of the SHORT STORY which leads to large books laden with minutiae. The more you tell, the more you are starting to paint yourself into a corner. Revelation over time is one of the things that marks a good novel. If I'm settling in to read a 500+ page book, I'd better learn about the characters over time through employment of dramatic device and storytelling.

The importance of the short story to any writer is learning that if the word or phrase doesn't advance the story.... ITS GONE. Universe creation is a wonderful thing for the creative spirit and process, but protecting the reader adequately from the Hydras of our worlds is just as important.

So what's this got to do with the original post? Inaccuracies become believable through good writing, revelation within the story. Once you're entering into the world of lengthy exposition, you're sacrificing dramatic structure and style. To know that metallic hydrogen is possible or even exists may not be as important as the process of making it. I would think that an explanation of the theoretic plausibility or fact about its existence wouldn't be as interesting as you showing me how its made.

Hell, alien substances and devices riddle fiction. Are they all impossible? Who knows - who cares. Even hard science fiction takes things to a level that willing suspension of disbelief is a necessity. Believability isn't necessarily steeped in accuracy. I'm sure there are perfectly sane, educated people that know the world is round still believing in ghosts or the existence of a soul.

[This message has been edited by dinoroxxx (edited December 02, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by dinoroxxx (edited December 02, 2008).]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

Fox: regarding the establishment of a character and then having the character do somethign against the previous established personality.

The trouble with this is, if this happens in too major of a way and FOR NO REASON, it seems like the character is doing what the author is telling him to do rather than what the character really really would do.

Example of bad:
1. Man is established to be very cowardly and afraid of physical confrontation, but suddenly attacks a biker gang with no provocation.

Example of good:
2. Man is established to be very cowardly, but a big bruiser tries to hurt the man's wife, he gets up the courage to go save her.

The first is arbitrary, without provocation or reason. Even if it advances the plot it's not good. the second is a character change caused by stressful events. People can change, but there generally has to be a reason for it if it's sudden.

Also, how much change you can get away with depends on whether the character is your narrator or not. If the narrator goes through a change, I prefer to see signs of the change through the narration. At least in 1st person and 3rd person close, I want to look through the eyes of the character through the filter of the narration, and if the character suddenly does something that seems out of character, it boots me out of their head.

You can probably get away with something more if it's another character.

steffenwolf
Member # 8250

Regarding accuraccy vs. believability, reminded me of recent Heroes tv episodes. They describe a solar eclipse as a "global event" and it's clearly visible in Kansas, New York, and Haiti simultaneously. And it's the second such "global eclipse" within a year of the show's timeline.

But solar eclipses are very localized events. You can only see them along a very narrow strip of space for each event. They happen all the time, but in very localized areas.

You don't need a degree in astronomy to know this. It's the sort of thing I picked up from watching the 10 o clock news. A two minute Google search would have told them this information, but apparently they didn't bother. You'd think that a show that has a solar eclipse on the show's title screen would have bothered with a moment's research.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.