Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Moon, Venus and Jupiter

Author Topic: Moon, Venus and Jupiter
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
These last couple of nights, here in England in the dark blue sky of dusk, we've been able to see the crescent Moon, Venus and Jupiter in close proximity. It's a rare event, according to the astronomer on the radio.

My celestial mechanics is weak--was anyone else able to see this magnificent event, or was it a UK thing?

I've never before knowingly seen three celestial objects in the sky so close to Earth and to each other. They have a singular beauty and made Earth somehow feel less alone in space.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about it today here in Minnesota, USA, but have not seen it yet.

I think I'll go out and peek tonight to see it for myself.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Cloudy for a week now so I won't catch it from Slovenia.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Saw the incredible sight facing me on the majority of my drive home last night...northern Virginia, USA.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I saw it. It was very nice.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it's pretty cool. I've been watching Jupiter and Venus move across the sky since Halloween, but I thought Venus was Saturn. I stand corrected. I wish I had a descent telescope right now.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
It was very visible in the northern Canadian skies last night, and it was a very dark sky as we still have no snow. (?)
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It was cloudy here. I saw some pictures, though. The writeups called it a "Smiley Face"...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the writeups I read said you might even be able to make out jupiter's moons - three clustered on one side, one on the other. Maybe you'd need a telescope, I can't recall what the article said about that, but nifty concept.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm in Arkansas, USA, and I've been watching them move through the sky for several nights now.
Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
You should be able to make out Jupiter's moons with a half decent pair of binoculars, although you would probably need to stabilize them on a fence so the image doesn't bounce around to much.

For good info: www.cloudynights.com

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a few picures on the evening of the 1st, but the moon was past Venus by that time - the UK got the occultation, which I have seen once before.

There's a picture of the crescent moon on my blog, which I'm quite pleased with (click on it for a larger version). I may post up one with Venus and Jupiter; I'd hoped to get them all three descending over downtown LA, but the fog intervened.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Smiling sky indeed--the BBC have compiled a few pics from around the globe:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7759643.stm

And, tchernabyelo, I like your pic of the moon--amazing what you can do with a modern digital camera--and hope you can get the planets too ...

Cheers, and still in awe,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Planetary occultations are uncommon events, but not necessarily rare. That's why they're a notable phenonema in astronomy and astrology, occultations involving the moon, too. Eclipses are occultations, but in the case of moon-earth eclipses, they're viewed from a different perspective. One of the rarest celestial events is when all the planets align somewhat closely, not necessarily on a straight line but on the same side of the sun--nine-body occultations, or syzgy if more than three bodies within the same gravitional system align--which last occurred imperfectly on March 10th, 1982.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember well the syzygy of 1982. There were all kinds of predictions about the coming apocolypse. Even some (pseudo)scientists got in on the fun predicting that all of the planets' gravities on one side of the sun would tear it apart.
We're still here. Whew!

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
That 1982 event happened on my birthday and all my grade-school friends were convinced the world was going to end on my birthday. How wonderful.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherpa7
Member # 8321

- posted      Profile for Sherpa7   Email Sherpa7         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I saw it in Illinois.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
does that event have any mystical significance?

itd be interesting to find out.

what part of the sky is it in, again?

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
In astrology, conjunctions typically magnify the influence of the celestial bodies involved and the houses of the Zodiac they fall in. The event was visible worldwide at night with Mercury and Venus visible before setting right after sunset. The planets were all on the same side of the sun as the Earth. What mystical significance, total chaos, with the Earthly influences of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto--the latter three not naked-eye visible--spread across the late winter Zodiac in disharmony.

Oh, and the recent conjunction of Venus, Selene, and Jupiter is the superior conjunction of the witch's moon. Venus' sparkle crossing the crescent of the moon with Jupiter's glint looking on. It's a common motif in esoteric jewelry. It's a magical moment for witchcraft, powerful mojo, if not a magical sight to behold.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited December 04, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also been able to see them here in White Sands Missile Range Nm. I wish my telescope was working for I would love to see them closer, but I got drunk one night and broke it. Oh well such is life.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.