Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Kibbitz section for the Character Interviews?

Author Topic: Kibbitz section for the Character Interviews?
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure of the best place to put this.

I've been working on developing voice for my characters in the Character Interviews forum and I'm wondering how successful it is. I'm so used to what I sound like that it's hard to tell whether my characters all sound the same or whether they sound like unique individuals. Or if they are unique, do the voices sound phony and put-on? It's hard to be objective from the inside.

Anyone else interested in feedback for their character conversations?

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what it is you want, Pyraxis. I looked down there for characters you started and didn't find any. Or are you just prompting us to check down there more frequently?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Pyraxis' character has responded to other characters there. I really don't feel like it is my place to comment - I haven't participated. I work out my characters a different way.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

I had one thread, it just got knocked off the bottom of the page because it was too long ago.

I don't know what I was thinking when I made this post. People here haven't read enough to be able to tell if the voices are any different. *embarrassed smiley* Long day, or something.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can tell in a very short amount of time, based on content and diction. One exercise I thought might be fun is to have a thread of just your characters responding to each other. I think that really forces you to think specifically about how each character would respond and what they would say. I did that privately for my characters--it was very enlightening.

When I have more time I'll go back and read some of the characters. I've neglected that section for too long, but it is a really fun one.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Pyraxis,
Fiona's voice is clear and fun, especially when she is talking to Caleb. (age five), and prince of nightmares, and the rest.

Her voice sounded, to me, to be a little put on when you first started the Character Interviews long while ago, but by the time I put Caleb up, it sounded honest and natural. Maybe it is just because she was talking to someone so young, and you are comfortable with her voice to children.

You want to watch how sarcastic and fighting she is, because that is when it starts to feel pushed, and in truth, kind of mean. That's her voice though, and it works for her, but I hope that is your intent. I like how sassy she is, but I like her best when she, in her words, "Drops the crap."

I would love to give (and recieve) more feedback on Characters voice, but I think we should probably use the Character Interview section for such discussion. Just more convienient that way.
~Sheena

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited December 26, 2008).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

Hey, thanks, Shimiqua (or do you prefer Sheena?).

The one talking to Prince of Nightmares is actually a different character, Daria. Fiona's not that combative (at least she tries not to be) and friendlier. I didn't realize Fiona sounded forced in that first thread, but it's good to know.

Maybe I should have created this thread in the Character Interviews forum, I just felt out of place and didn't want to break the illusion with "out of character" stuff.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I can move this to the Character Interview area, or it can stay here. Discussion of the characters outside of their topics is not a bad idea.

If people want to create discussion topics for each character, to go with the actual character interview topic, it might get cluttered, but I have no objection to it.

I'd recommend that you title the topics with the character name and the word "feedback" or "discussion" in the title as well.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.