Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Witch o' Words wants New Reading (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Witch o' Words wants New Reading
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm curious, I couldn't find this anywhere...

Are we allowed to have it critiqued before turning it in?

[This message has been edited by Gan (edited January 23, 2009).]

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Several pages were blank, and she thought about the writers whose stories they soon would bear. "Shall I cast creative spells towards them?" She sipped at her tea, then shook her head. "No. They're Hatrackers. Creative writers one and all. Ideas will come to them." She nodded to herself, took another sip of tea, and smiled.

What?? Creative spells are available? No, please, cast, cast, cast!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are we allowed to have it critiqued before turning it in?

The answer is, perhaps not clearly enough, here:

quote:
Please do not put early drafts of your story through the regular F&F threads for first 13s, for that would destroy the anonymity of voting.

I understand that crits would be nice, but not doing them to preserve anonymity does mean we're all at the same disadvantage.

(Further, the idea is not so much to win, as to get creative. Everyone who enters will be a winner, just by completing a story.)

And, everyone should get some crits, and it's possible too to revise the story after the contest and get more crits either in F&F or in Ready for Market.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne, I will contact the WoW with your request. I could do with one myself ...
Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anne, I will contact the WoW with your request. I could do with one myself ...

Don't bother. She performed one on me. I can now color within the lines but nothing else.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

The Witch o' Words appeared on my screen.

"Your page is a bit blank, TaleSpinner," she said. "Just a few wisps of concept. You wrote the triggers. I'd a'fought you'd 'ave a story by now."

"You might have indeed thought that, but you'd be wrong. I wrote the triggers a long while ago, shortly after the last contest; I filed them, and forgot them. Other stories occupied my mind."

"Well, I'm sure you'll--"

"I was going to ask for a creative spell for Anne, me and a few others, but snapper tells me you miss sometimes. Is that right?"

The Witch o' Words smiled. A warm smile, the smile of a grandma's love.

" 'E never sits still, snapper; I fink that's why 'e's a lorry driver. He was young, fidgeting, and it missed, only grazed 'im. He now 'as a very creative teddy bear."

"Hmm ... Well, I've decided to use two of the triggers and have some rough ideas, but it's hard to tie it all down with a tight plot--one that will fit 2000 words. A plotting spell would help, and I'm sure a few other Hatrackers would appreciate some magical assistance ..."

She laughed.

"And 'ow will you develop confidence in your own talents if you write under a spell? No, me dear, you know as well as I that you're better exploring the magic of your own imagination. But ..."

She waved her wand, and a steaming cup of tea appeared at my side. There's nothing like a cuppa when your'e out of ideas ...

snapper
Member # 7299

I kicked in my Grandma’s door. I stepped into the cobwebbed filled living room and listened.
“Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble…”
I follow the voice and found her casting her best spell.
“Come on, you old bag,” I say in my usual endearing voice. “Can’t you clean a commode like a normal person?”
She jumped, dumping her toadstool powder all over the bathroom. “For the love of Merlin, why can’t you call like most grandchildren before they drop by?”
I take a peak. The green swirling water almost made me lose my lunch. The thought of sticking my face in that bowl made me sick again.
“You know, they make cleaning supplies that work wonders on toilets these days.”
She shoved me out the tiny room and into the living room. “Are you here to just give me household tips or do you want something?”
“I see you’re up to peddling creative spells again, you old fraud. What are charging this time?”
“Only six months of life. A bargain, but what can you expect? There is a recession after all.”
“Here’s what that spell did for me.” I throw a crumble coloring book page at her. “Pin this on your refrigerator, Gran. I spent two days staring at my computer, trying to write a story and all I could accomplish was coloring a duck.”
She opened it up. “Oh, very nice. See how well it works? You didn’t go out of the lines once.”
“No thanks to you, I finished my submit yesterday. It took four shots of Rommel’s absinthe to get rid of the concoction. He said it kill everything inside of me and he wasn’t kidding.” I rubbed my head. “I’m still not sure I’m alive yet.”
“Oh, you poor thing.” She opened a draw and pulled out a doll that looked like me. “I could take care of that for you,” she said holding sewing needle.
I ran out the door. Next time I’d bring a bucket of water for the old bat.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

I have to thank everyone involved in creating this contest. I've finished my story, and it's given me an interesting concept that I could find myself writing a novel out of.

Apparently, I need to use trigger words more often.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Gan, that's great news.

If the story is finished, please feel free to e-mail it to me. Of course, if you'd like to let it sit for a while and revise it, that's fine too.

In a week or two I'll start a new thread in the Challenges and post first 13s as I receive them, together with information on how I'll create and distribute the anthologies, instructions on voting etc.

Me, I've made some good progress. I have an idea I'm happy with. All I need now is a beginning, middle and end, and to write it ...

honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys// I am going to pull out of contest/// I got a request to do a work up of a series for my Rhinoplasty story...please feel free to throw rocks at my story I submitted for crit ////thanks
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

quote:
Gan, that's great news.

If the story is finished, please feel free to e-mail it to me. Of course, if you'd like to let it sit for a while and revise it, that's fine too.

In a week or two I'll start a new thread in the Challenges and post first 13s as I receive them, together with information on how I'll create and distribute the anthologies, instructions on voting etc.

Me, I've made some good progress. I have an idea I'm happy with. All I need now is a beginning, middle and end, and to write it .

I'm going to let it cool for a week, and then take another shot at editing it. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the way it ends, but we'll see. I'm fairly new to flash fiction, so its been an interesting experience.

I look forward to seeing the first 13's.

The idea can oftentimes be the hardest part. Best of luck, I look forward to reading it.

annepin
Member # 5952

At this point, I'm willing to sacrifice small chocolate bars for a spell or two!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

I clicked the witch icon, and She Who Wants New Reading appeared on my screen.

"Tough triggers," I said.

"Thanks," she said.

"I mean, it's hard to find a story that fits."

"Well it wouldn't be worth writing if it were an easy story to find, now would it, me dear. Cuppa tea?"

Before I could respond, a cup of Assam appeared at my side. Two sugars and a little skimmed milk, just as I like it.

"Do you have a story?" she asked.

"I think so," I said. "Unfortunately, it's a novel, but I think I can cut a bit of it into a 2000 word sudden piece ... I think."

"I'm sure you can," she said.

"Um ..."

"Yes?"

"One of my friends would appreciate a spell, one of those creative ones ... chocolate was mentioned."

"Chocolate?"

"Yes."

"Anne doesn't need a spell--"

"But I didn't tell you her name--"

"Don't interrupt me, dear. She don't need a spell, not Anne, nor any of the Hatrackers. Well, not a creative spell ... No, she'll be fine. As will all the others. I'm seein' their progress in me tome. Some squirly, some taking shape, at least one in first draft. No chocolate required, me dear, you'll all write really super stories and I can't wait--"

Her doorbell chimed.

"Must go," she said. And vanished.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a first draft done, but it's 2135 words so I have some cutting and rearranging to do. I also don't love it, but I think it's allright.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm.. witch of words, or TS, who ever wants to...

Can somebody please put a thread in the writers challenge area already!

I'm ready to go, I just need to know when and where, and that info should probably go in the writers challenge section.

I'm going to forget if you don't, and that massive list of participants may dwindle, or at least get bogged down, without a shameless bump or two.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

shimiqua, if your story is finished please feel free to e-mail it to me. I collect them all and strip off identities then e-mail them out to everyone in groups for crits and votes. We do it that way to preserve anonymity through the voting. It says so in the instructions somewhere, but I admit, they're rather long.

But the end date is some while away, so you have time to let it sit and revise if you'd like.

Mind, if you do want to send it, I know a grand lady who's thirsting for a read ...

Cheers,
Pat

snapper
Member # 7299

I could smell an odd odor wafting out of Granny's ginger bread house. I helped myself in, in my usual way, and found the old bat stirring the black kettle.

"Now what are you up too?"

She smiled, her black and green teeth poking past her gray lips. "I'm brewing another patch of my creative spells."

"Why?"

"The dearies are all falling behind. They need my help after all. This will be my third batch."
She held up a blue appendange. "Alien finger for Science fiction."
She grabbed a leathery fan with tiny scales. "Dragons ear for fantasy."
She lifted an eye ball, its brown pupil shifting about. "Zombie's eye for horror."
She reached into a box and dropped in a vice. "That is so they can compress their masterpieces under the word count limit."
Than she showed me a bottle of brown liquid. "Finally, shoe polish to shine up their prose."

I watched her pour it into the stew. Something didn't look right. I snatched the bottle from her grip and sniffed in the sweet aroma.

"You crusty old witch. No wonder why hardly anyones finished. It's molasses."

She bit her lip and batted her eyes at me. "Oopsy."

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Golly gosh, snapper, one witch and two totally different perceptions of her. On my screen she's cool and elegant, yet for you she's ... not. I suppose that's the magic of witches.

I've received one or two stories by e-mail so far.

I'm letting mine stew at the back of my mind for a while. I like the basic concept but the plot's not quite right. I face a long car journey tomorrow, and hope that it will give me time to consolidate my ideas ...

annepin
Member # 5952

Maybe there's the witch and then an imposter who's fooling snapper!

Yeah, I pictured her rather cool and elegant. I pictured her youngish, too, or at least ageless.

I've got an idea. There's no story yet. Still hoping for that last minute inspiration!

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"You think in circles, TaleSpinner," said the Witch o'Words. "One or two stories are finished, some are in progress. But your story circles in your head. You threw it away once and, for a while, looked for something fresh. I know," she tapped her tome, "because your page went blank, then a few misty images wandered about, but now your original ideas circle once more."

"I thought the story was too big for 2000 words," I said, sipping the tea she had kindly magicked up for me. "But I like it, and it's maybe an opportunity to set up a novella I've had in mind for a while. Same ideas, but now maybe tighter. It has a beginning, middle and end, and leaves the door open for being used as an intro to the novella -- which now has a richer backstory because I've incorporated some fresh ideas as a result of a couple of the triggers. Now, I plan to give myself a day or three plotting the details before finally sitting down to draft it. I've got a couple of weeks, until Feb 28th, right?"

"Yes," she said, slowly turning the pages of her tome. "We have stories, from honu, shimiqua, Bycin and snapper--"

"Which reminds me. Why do you appear different to snapper? To me you're elegant, maybe Victorian in style, and to snapper you're--"

She leered, dribbling foaming spittle from a mouth suddenly full of green teeth. Lifting her tea cup in both hands she slurped noisily, licked her lips, and then, as she put the cup down, morphed back into elegance with a big grin of even, white teeth. "Like that? As you know, TS, witches can change their appearance at will. When I first met snapper in his rather distant youth, he'd just seen the Wizard of Oz for the first time. He knew I was a witch and expected me to look like the Wicked Witch o' the West. I didn't want to disappoint him …"

We both sipped at our tea. Then she turned the pages of her tome once more. "Yours is taking shape, and four stories are finished." She giggled. "I do so love fresh stories. I'll read these later tonight ... I wonder what's happening with the others. They're all swirly on my pages--but none are completely blank, as far as I can tell …"

Yes, I thought, savouring my tea. I wonder how the others are doing …

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited February 15, 2009).]

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
My story is stalled, to be honest. I decided to pick a very difficult topic to write about, so I'm obsessed with getting it right. I need to take a walk and think it over... but first it has to stop being so ridiculously cold. Not easy to think creative thoughts when you can't feel your face!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still here. Do you have any spells for cutting a story in half. I think I do, somewhere. I only hope they work. First draft at last look was around 5,000 words, I have put on the back burner until I finish IB's but then I will get the hatchet out and see what remains.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Mine's finished. I just need to cut about 100 words and polish it up a bit.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm a little late, but I also just joined....can I play too? Last count I saw was 21 and it said limited to 24. I still have two weeks left, I can do it, I know I can.

-John

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why not. Give it a go.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Symphonyofnames
Member # 8283

- posted      Profile for Symphonyofnames   Email Symphonyofnames         Edit/Delete Post 
College happened all over the place. Mine's in the works. It will be done before the end of the month though.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

JohnMac, yes there's both room and time. Welcome.

And, the Witch o' Words tells me she's pleased with our progress and that, with the levels of creativity and energy around here, nobody needs spells :-)

LucyintheSky
Member # 8475

- posted      Profile for LucyintheSky   Email LucyintheSky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a latecomer, but if there's still room, I would like to throw my hat in the ring. I've never written a short story before. Frankly, they scare me I've always worked on longer projects, but I want to learn, and what better way to push myself than in the company of all you fine people?

I'm willing to do extra crits to make up for my late arrival, if that helps!

I also have a question about the triggers: do they have to be the focus/subject of the story, or can they be more of a minor detail?

Posts: 54 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

LucyintheSky, you're welcome to join us, there's still room.

Yes, writing a short is a great way to push yourself, as many of us have discovered.

For the triggers, there's no hard and fast rule. They're really there to get our creative juices flowing, writing a story in territory that perhaps is unfamiliar, and discovering we can write more than we imagine we can. The trigger can be the focus of the story, or tangential, or indirect. It provides a constraint that, oddly, can drive creativity, by pushing one in unexpected directions, beyond the tramrails of our usual ideas.

Enjoy!
Pat

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been too lost in life to post much lately, but I'm still here. My story is still just a swirly blob on the page, but it has a nice beginning. Before I can submit it, I have to answer one question: WHY???

I hope it's a question with an answer or else this story is in trouble.
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

I believe that "Why?" is a great question for us writers to ask, for it leads to character motivation.

From my limited experience, to answer the question "Why?" demands creativity -- the creation of character background and history, the imagineering of technological advances or limitations -- that explain motivation, perhaps for MC, or maybe for minor characters. In a way, the question "Why?" can be a kind of spell for coaxing one's imagination down new paths; a spell to be bound by, until the question is answered.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Good point TS. It's also true that once I really have all of that down, it will be a novel, not a short story
On the other hand, I haven't completely answered WHY yet, but I am creating an interesting world!
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

I have what may be a silly point to bring up - you say email the stories to you but I don't see an email address...did I miss something or is it just me suffering from "newbiliciousness?"

-John

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

There are three (sometimes two) on the top of each post, on the same line as the name. The first icon is profile information the second is that person's e-mail address and the third is the edit button. Click the second icon (the picture of the letter) and it will give you Talespinner's e-mail.

No worries, everyone suffers from newbiliciousness at first.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"it will be a novel, not a short story"

Yeah, that's exactly what has happened to me. I had an idea for a situation, asked myself why the characters would be in it, and the darn thing expanded into a novella.

Not only that, it circled around to link up with some ideas I already had on the back burner for a novella. While I'm pleased about that, for the triggers have provoked the invention of a richer backstory, my challenge is to make what may become a new episode in the novella into a satisfying sudden fiction story.

I've given myself until this weekend to continue ruminating, then I must get down to drafting and revising ...

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Oh, and JohnMac, what satate said--thanks, satate.

e-mail addresses are underneath these buttons to make it harder for spammers. If e-mail addresses were on the postings, things called "Scrapers" would harvest them for spam generators. Unfortuantely, the Witch o' Words tells me that even her strongest spells cannot defeat spam.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I've got a rough draft! Incredible, considering how little writing I've been doing lately. It's still at 2500 words, and I have to let it sit for a while before I'll be able to tell if it makes any sense at all, but I may just pull this off!
Melanie

JohnMac
Member # 8472

I'm just blushing over the fact that I didn't even notice the pretty little buttons and to think they had functions too! oh my, I've been in the valley too long....like fer shure!
LucyintheSky
Member # 8475

- posted      Profile for LucyintheSky   Email LucyintheSky         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the idea for my story a few weeks ago. It was about 3:00am, and I was having trouble getting back to sleep after feeding the baby. I spent the hours until dawn thinking through my story idea. It was brilliant, I was sure, and I planned out every scene in my mind with painstaking detail. I went over and over and over the dialogue in my head. I composed the perfect descriptions of character and setting. And once I thought I had it all, I just kept repeating it to myself again and again, like an orator, fine tuning my masterpiece.

I figured it would be a quick mornings' work to put down the product of my nighttime inspiration. Sadly, it was not to be. The gremlins of genius had fled with the dawn, leaving plain old plodding me to figure out the story for myself. I found large gaps in the story by daylight that hadn't appeared during the night, and I had no idea what to do with them.

Long story short (no pun intended ... well, who am I kidding, of course it was intended), I finally finished today. Now all I have to do is figure out of it's any good or not. I hope nine days is enough time for that project.

Sigh.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

The perfect remedy for all those great stories we write at night that have huge holes in the light of day...
Only read at night! We could publish a book--
Night Tales: Brilliant Stories for the Parent With Child Induced Insomnia

LucyintheSky
Member # 8475

Unwritten-
I'm glad I'm not the only one! There are moments when I have wondered seriously if I was suffering from some kind of imaginative psychosis. Why do the good ideas always come at night? Don't they know I'm TIRED?

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I like to imagine them nearby during the day, just out of sight. They keep opening their mouths to speak, but someone else is always more aggressive and demanding, so they don't get a chance until it's finally quiet.
LucyintheSky
Member # 8475

I have a pretty good idea who "someone" is.
Symphonyofnames
Member # 8283

- posted      Profile for Symphonyofnames   Email Symphonyofnames         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think I'm going to have to withdraw from this one; my story turned out to be much longer than I expected, it's not going to get under 2,000, and I don't have time to turn out another one. Sorry; that college thing makes it hard to get other stuff done. I still got a good story out of it though.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMPAglut
Member # 8484

- posted      Profile for AMPAglut           Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by AMPAglut (edited February 16, 2010).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Symphonyofnames, thanks for keeping us in the picture. I hope we see your story in F&F sometime.

AMPAglut, yes there's room for you, and welcome.

I have an outline and about fifteen lines which, for me, is good. I always seem to get productive as the deadline approaches.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I just reread my rough draft. It needs A LOT of work. I think it has potential though.

Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,
Is it still possible to get in on this challege? The Witch o' Words won't turn me into anything for being late will she? I saw the triggers and have some neat threads to sew already. Might be that I can garble together 2000 words.

[This message has been edited by Denem (edited February 23, 2009).]

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Hi Denem and yes, there's room. We seem to be getting about equal numbers dropping out and joining. So, welcome.

I dare not speak for the Witch o' Words, but I imagine she'll tell us if she gets unhappy--and last time I saw her, she was reading our new pages with a smile ... a not unpleasant smile :-)

Pat

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of dropouts... I fear I'm out. The continued chaos of moving hasn't left me the time/inspiration.

Apologies. I was really hoping to make this. I may well still write the story... but not, i think, in the next four days.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.