Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Witch o' Words wants New Reading (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Witch o' Words wants New Reading
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I will have to drop out as well. I am burdened with a great deal of paperwork at my day job, and my organization keeps throwing clients at me. Unfortunately, I can't dodge them, and my pay is not commissioned-based. Even worse, I am on salary.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucyintheSky
Member # 8475

- posted      Profile for LucyintheSky   Email LucyintheSky         Edit/Delete Post 
Three days left ... anyone starting to sweat!? I know I am. My inner critic has been screaming "What were you thinking!" at me in every escalating tones.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the witch has a spell for shutting up inner critics, at least temporarily?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few more tweaks and I'll be sending mine in...looking forward to seeing what that old hag...er...yeah haggard lady thinks of my writing. I know she much be tired. Maybe I should go make her some tea...?
Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
AAARRRGGGG. I needed to get my word count down by about 400 words, so I went through my story with a fine tooth comb, and now I need to get my word count down by 478 words. Does that happen to anyone else?
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

AAARRRGGG!
Now it's under 2000 words but it doesn't make any sense.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
I've no idea if I'll be done by the deadline...I guess we'll find out. :-P
Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
With a big happy grin all over her face The Witch o' Words leafed through the fresh pages of her tome, pages she had gotten only a few weeks ago from the elven paper makers, fresh creamy pages which now carried stories, in various stages of development, from Hatrackers.

A few pages had gone blank, several were complete, and more were squirling, or forming, or reforming, or just steadily appearing line by line. Some of the spare pages she had ordered for latecomers were showing signs of life.

A couple of pages had frozen in misty circular whisps, and she blew a kiss to them, hoping that perhaps their writers would find energy anew.

"AAARRRGGGG. I needed to get my word count down by about 400 words, so I went through my story with a fine tooth comb, and now I need to get my word count down by 478 words. Does that happen to anyone else?"

"Yes," murmured the Witch, "Happens all the time. It's about focus, the essential elements of the story." She cloned her big red editor's pencil several times and magicked the clones towards Hatrack ...

Turning to another page she muttered, "Inner critic. Bah ...it's the Angel of Never Getting Stuff Tangled again." She invoked her Voice: "Angst, begone!"

The ancient grandfather clock in the corner of her study chimed, and she gazed at it, calculating. "Just a few more days to the deadline," she whispered. "Now, that delicious final burst of surprising creativity ..."

A cup of strong sweet Assam tea appeared at her side, sent by one of the Hatrackers, and the Witch o' Words sipped at it thoughtfully, grinning with anticipation ...

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thus far we have stories from ...

Snapper
Honu
Shimiqua
Bycin
Satate
Sherpa7
Unwritten

If you have sent me a story and I have not acknowledged receipt, please check you have my e-mail address correct and send it again with "hatrack contest" in the subject line.

I anticipate a few more stories as the deadline approaches, including my own ...

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have about 400 words to go. Hopefully I'll be done in time.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melme54
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for melme54   Email melme54         Edit/Delete Post 
So are we (the ones that missed the contest) going to get to read any of these gems?
Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Sure--everything except the story by LucyintheSky. That one will be unveiled in our first anthology--only $19.95 if you preorder now.
JohnMac
Member # 8472

OK - turned it in. *bites nails*

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melme54
Member # 8482

If I'm paying 20 dollars, do I get a signed copy, unwritten? :P
Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull out. My mind is so wrapped around my series and its continual breakthroughs right now that I'm having enormous difficulty concentrating on this. I don't want to submit something that I haven't poured my soul into...so I'm going to have to pass on this.

That said, I do want to help read/critique these stories =)

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the witch cursed me, had my story written 2 weeks ago, just needed to cut it down, granted it needed to be cut in half, but really felt that I could pull it off with just the last scene. But the fever hit, 105.4, ouch. I have gotten it under control with day/night quil alternating with motrin, but can't seem to function for periods of time.

Long story short, well there in lies my problem, I fear I need to withdraw as I am unable to get back to cutting down. Sorry, was so looking forward to this, I loved the trigger and the characters they inspired, but you'll see them in fragments when I recover, just a 5,000 wrd story instead of the sudden. Sorry once again.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Ouch. You got it even worse than me Tiergan. Take care of yourself.

melme54--For $20.00, I'll sign just about anything.

LucyintheSky
Member # 8475

- posted      Profile for LucyintheSky   Email LucyintheSky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've developed an ulcer with a certain wordy witch's name on it.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I suppose I ought to clarify that I don't really have the power to give you permission to read the stories. You'll have to talk to the Witch O' Words for that.
melme54
Member # 8482

That's alright, unwritten. I can be patient when it serves my means. I'll just await an answer from the WoW or her liaison, TaleSpinner.

While I'm waiting, I must mention that the Witch o' Words shares her initials with a very popular online game... Coincidence or is there something more there?

Seraphiro
Member # 8414

- posted      Profile for Seraphiro   Email Seraphiro         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, I don't think I can submit a story this time around. I've been having trouble writing just about anything lately, and I do believe that the deadline has already passed (or will pass quite shortly). I really like the idea of a flash fiction contest, and hopefully, things will work better next time. And there will be a next time, right?

Oh, and I can still read stories if you need me to.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

With a few hours yet to go, I've received stories from:

snapper
honu
shimiqua
bycin
satate
sherpa7
unwritten
JohnMac
LucyintheSky
BoredCrow
Gan
TaleSpinner

If you've e-mailed a story to me and not received an acknowledgement, or if you're not in the list above, then either there's a glitch in the internet (please check you have my e-mail address correct and send it again) or the Witch o' Words doesn't like you ... just kidding ;-)

Tomorrow morning, UK time, I'll check e-mail once more for late subs and then set about posting first 13s and sending out the stories for crits and voting. Hopefully that will all be done by Sunday evening.

Some people have kindly offered to crit despite not themselves having entered stories. If you are one such, please e-mail confirmation of your offer to me and I'll send you the stories by return.

If you've finished a story but it doesn't fit the 2000 word limit, or if you get one together in the next few days, if you would like to e-mail it to me I'll circulate it to participating Hatrackers and maybe -- maybe -- the Witch o' Words will give it an Honourable Mention.

Assuming one or two more stories arrive in the next few hours I'm thinking of sending them out in two groups of six to eight, as we discussed previously, with the winners of the two groups going forwards into a final round of voting. I'll include detailed instructions for crits and voting in the e-mail containing the stories.

Cheers, and thanks everyone for some great stories and a lot o' fun,
Pat

AMPAglut
Member # 8484

- posted      Profile for AMPAglut           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out of this one. I would, however, still be happy to do some critiques if you'd like. Sorry bout that.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Bored Crow got in this one, too? Guess were all fighting for second on this one.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
snapper, I just about spit my coffee all over my laptop.
But thank you.

I wish I always was as well inspired on my stories like I was for the last competition. I did not do so well on this story. People may well hate the topic I chose, so there you go.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Twelve stories made it to the anthologies for votes and crits.

Magic! I'm sure that the Witch o' Words, myself, and everyone who entered looks forward to reading them, voting and critiqueing.

I've posted the first 13s in the Challenges area and have sent to everyone the two anthologies of six stories each, for votes and crits. Detailed instructions are in the e-mail.

(I'll wait a few days for stragglers, then send out late stories and one that was subbed for crits only, in a separate "for honourable mentions" e-mail. At that time I'll send all the stories, also, to those who have kindly offered to crit, even though they have not entered stories.)

The Witch o' Words assures me she's very pleased with the stories. Indeed, she can't be with us now for she's too busy reading -- too busy, even, to magic me up some Assam.

"You would not be doing it without me," said Zac's voice in my ear.

"No, Zac," I said. "And thanks for reminding me to thank you for making the spreadsheet."

I hope everyone enjoys the stories and look forward to the votes and crits ...
Pat

snapper
Member # 7299

So are we voting for the stories in the group we are not in?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Yup.

Well, for voting and critting the stories, yes, we do so for the group our story isn't in. (The table in the e-mail is designed that way, to indicate which group you vote and crit.)

For voting on the first 13s, please keep all the stories in mind, both groups. So we'll get a result on the first 13s in the first round.

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited March 02, 2009).]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Please don't laugh, but I was tired of searching for this, so I'm posting it here at the end so I always know where it is.

quote:
Triggers
========

- an unusual aroma;
- a secret library;
- an invisible child.

Rules
=====

Sudden fiction, 2000 words max.

Use one or more of the triggers to create the story's concept, theme, a central character or object.

Closing date for entries: 18.00 GMT Saturday Feb 28th (about six weeks from now)

Closing date for first round crits and votes: 18:00 GMT Sat March 14th (about two weeks to read, crit and vote the stories in your group)

Closing date for final round crits and votes: 18:00 GMT Sat March 21st (about one week to read, crit and vote the stories that make it to the final round--less than the two weeks before because everyone will want to know who won!)

Entries limited to 24 contestants (three groups of eight)

In the first round you crit at least four of the stories in your group.
In the final round you crit at least one of the stories in the final group.

Usual Hatrack rules for content apply. Please, no fanfic, no use of copyright stuff.

Your commitments:
=================

Write a story and send it in by closing date above
Vote on first 13s by closing date for first round, above
Vote on first round and submit four crits by closing date for first round, above
Vote on final round and submit one crit by closing date for final round, above

For extra kudos you can:
========================

Use all the triggers
Crit more stories
Help me crit the stories that don't fare so well
Suggest triggers for the next contest (two or three months after this one)

Submission Guide
================
e-mail your story in .doc, .rtf or plain .txt format to me by 18.00 GMT on the closing date above.

Please do not put early drafts of your story through the regular F&F threads for first 13s, for that would destroy the annonymity of voting.
(If you use Word 2007 please save in .rtf or an earlier .doc format because we don't all have the format converters for earlier versions of Word.)

In the e-mail subject line please put "Hatrack Contest--Story name--author's Hatrack name" in order to get past my spam filters.

In the body of your email please put your Hatrack name and your e-mail address.

On the first page of the manuscript (and nowhere else) put your name and the word count.

Voting and Critting process
===========================

Voting and critting is anonymous.

I'll create a fresh thread for first 13s and post them all there so we can vote on them. We all vote on the first 13s (because that doesn't take much work).

To crit and vote on the stories ...

I will delete names from manuscripts, assign them numbers, and reformat them only to the extent necessary for ease of handling. I'll allocate the stories at random to three groups, combine the stories for each group into one anthology file. I'll divide contestants also into three groups and send one anthology file to each group for first round votes and crits, and I'll make sure that a contestant isn't in the group that gets his or her story.

For the final round I'll make a fresh anthhology of the finalists and send it to everyone for final votes and crits.

(If you can't read Word .doc files let me know.)

In the first round you vote for your top three stories. I will tally the votes like this: three points for your first choice, two for your second, one for your third. You cannot vote for your own story.

I will not be voting myself so that I have the time and independence to manage things, and break ties if necessary.

In case someone doesn't vote, please include at the end of your 'vote-and-crit' e-mail your votes for the other stories, but not crits.

You must crit your first four choices and send the four crits together with your vote to me by 18.00 GMT on the voting due date above. (Votes without crits don't count.) If you don't vote I'll delete your story and redistribute the votes.

Then we'll repeat the process for the final round, but with just one more crit.

Please use this vote and crit format in your e-mail to make my administrative life easier:

--------------------------
Your hatrack name

First 13 1 -- story number
First 13 2 -- story number
First 13 3 -- story number

Story 1 -- story number
Your crit of story 1

Story 2 -- story number
Your crit of story 2

Story 3 -- story number
Your crit of story 3

Story 4 -- story number
Your crit of story 4

Story 5 -- story number
Story 6 -- story number
Story 7 -- story number
Story 8 -- story number

---------------------------

If any stories don't get at least three crits, I'll crit them and request the three winners to help me, so everyone should get at least three or four crits.

If for some reason you're unable to submit your story or vote on time, please let me know and we'll make due allowance.

If I don't hear from you by the due voting date I'll delete your story and redistribute the votes received appropriately.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Thanks, Unwritten. Of course it will get lost again as people add posts to this thread ...

A minor correction: I plan to vote in the first round because my story is not in the group within which I'll vote.

The votes are starting to trickle in -- and if we get everyone's vote early, I'll start the final voting early ...

Cheers,
Pat

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"What's that in your ear," asked the Witch o' Words.

"Zac," I said.

"That's an explanation?"

"You're a Witch, you're supposed to know everything."

"I am?" She sipped her tea, watching me.

"Sorry," I said. "I'm annoyed with Zac and since he won't talk to me, I'm transferring my anger onto you."

A cup of hot, sweet Assam appeared at my side.

"Talk to me instead, then," she said.

"I need Zac to help me with the spreadsheet for the contest, and he's gone and disappeared into a fractal recursion. I think he's lost himself in an infinite loop."

"Speak English, dear," she said.

"He's my artificially intelligent computer. Lives in my ear, talks to me, does analytic tasks, googles, reminds me to take backups, that sort of thing, and--"

Zac chimed.

"You only have four votes and crits so far, so quit worrying," said Zac.

"Yes but--"

"The spreadsheet is on your desktop. I put it together for you in about ten trillion spare CPU cycles."

"Thanks, Zac. How's the fractal research going?"

"Fine," he said. "And I do not lose myself in infinite loops or any other kind of loop. I have to go now, but I'll be back next weekend to help you count the votes for the first 13s and the first round of story votes."

A faint click signalled Zac's departure.

"Testy little bugger isn't he," said the Witch o' Words.

"You can hear him?"

"I'm a Witch," she said.

"Yeah," I said. "Silly me. You like the stories?"

"They're grand. I'd say they're magic, but they're all the product of human talent, no spells involved." She flipped the pages of her tome, smiling, then waved her wand at Zac's spreadsheet and opened it. "And I'm looking forward to seeing the votes and crits by next Saturday, 18:00 GMT."

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited March 08, 2009).]

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"That thing in your ear," said the Witch o' Words. "Can it count?"

"I can," said Zac.

"How many votes and crits have we received so far?" the Witch o' Words asked.

"Seven of the twelve that we expect are in," said Zac.

"And I've sent them all acknowledgements," I said.

"I wonder who's winning," said the Witch o' Words.

"Everyone's a winner," said Zac.

The Witch o' Words smiled. "They are indeed," she said.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Just a reminder that votes and crits are due today.

As of this morning I have received and acknowledged first round crits and votes from all but two entrants ...

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Well, first, the not-so-good news. Gan and Troy didn't send votes and crits, nor requests for extra time, so their stories have been removed from the contest and votes for their stories redistributed according to your fourth choices where stated.

We all recall the rules, which said,

quote:

If for some reason you're unable to submit your story or vote on time, please let me know and we'll make due allowance.

If I don't hear from you by the due voting date I'll delete your story and redistribute the votes received appropriately.

Also, we've had progress reports in the Witch o' Words thread and yesterday I sent reminder e-mails. How much more can one do? (Troy was in one group, and Gan in the other, so their absence hasn't skewed the voting unequally.)

And so to the better news ...

We have a winner of the first 13s -- but I realized when I was tallying the votes that I can't announce the winner because that would wreck the anonymity of the second round voting.

Suffice to say, two stories were ahead of the rest with 12 and 11 points, and two stories tied for third place with 8.

As several people said, there were several good stories. The stories were divided amongst the two groups at random and while the votes in one group produced a clear winner, votes for four stories in the other group were very close. Rather than leave a good story out of the second round, I've included all the stories that scored six or more points in the second round voting, a total of seven stories. They are story numbers:

Everyone has been enormously generous with their time and insight in the crits. Some have provided crits for all the stories!

If you did more than four crits already, please just send your vote. If you did just four crits in the first round, please send one more crit with your vote.

Please send your votes (and crit) to me by 18:00 GMT Sat March 21st.

I'll announce the winners on Sunday -- just one more week to wait, folks!

Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been out of commission the past week from an overly complicated surgery on my wisdom teeth. I checked my email yesterday to see your message. Sorry! Hopefully next time around I won't be a drugged up zombie.

I look forward to seeing the winner!

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

The black witch's hat icon blinked on my computer screen. I clicked it. The Witch o' Words flickered onto the screen.

"We had to wait until the last minute for the last vote," she said, "but at last, Zac has told me the results."

"Too many 'lasts'," I said. "And he told you before me?"

"You were asleep, and I couldn't wait any longer."

She grinned, flipping through the new pages in her tome.

"All the stories were winners," she said, "and I've enjoyed reading each and every one of them. The contestants put so much work into them, not to mention the magic of their imaginations--"

"Yes, but who won?" I said.

"Two stories tied for third. 'Behind Locked Doors' and 'Jasmine'."

She flipped a couple of pages.

"Then in second place was 'The One Part Oer Million'."

The final page she turned slowly.

"And the winner was," she looked up with a huge grin, "'Kindle'."

Zac chimed -- how would we have done this without Zac to do the counting, I wondered -- Zac chimed and said, "I expect everyone would like to know who wrote which stories …

troy "Come Down Here Where You Ought To Be"
shimiqua "The Distraction"
satate "Behind Locked Doors"
BoredCrow "Jasmine"
TaleSpinner "Air Monkeys"
unwritten "Kindle"
LucyintheSky "Magic Stinks: A Cautionary Fairytale"
JohnMac "Sacred Trust"
Gan "Jonas the Invisible"
snapper "The One Part Per Million"
bycin "A Breath of Dead Air"
sherpa7 "Receptacle"

"Thanks Zac," I said.

"And please thank everyone for my new reading," said the Witch o' Words. "I'll know where to come when next I need some fresh, exciting reading ..."

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited March 21, 2009).]

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Unwritten, good story.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job, Unwritten. You had a great story
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for Unwritten!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Thanks! I'm so surprised!
There were some awesome stories this time around. This was my first tentative foray into science fiction, and I'm just grateful no one laughed at it.
Melanie

LucyintheSky
Member # 8475

Way to go Unwritten! There were a ton of great stories, so I think everyone deserves to pat themselves on the back.
JohnMac
Member # 8472

Hooray for everyone! Congrats unwritten!

I am looking forward to reading all the critiques.

-John

Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who participated in this contest. I truly appreciate the time taken to read and critique my story, I found the insight to be extremely helpful.

Special thanks to TaleSpinner for doing the leg work, I can only imagine how involved it was. This was the first story I have actually finished, as sad as that sounds. I get great ideas (to me) but never follow through. This contest forced me to do that and I couldn't be more appreciative.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to take a moment to apologize to the participants of the contest, actually. A little bit of life got in my way and I bailed on you guys. If you all don't mind, however, I would still like to critique the stories that were in my crit-group. I did the first three today, and I'll do the rest... sometime this week. Hopefully Wednesday, if not before.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

Magic Stinks

I didn't like the juxtaposition of the man's daughter against his desire for the body of a real woman. A bit squicky. A lot of the story feels like exposition. The author explaining events, rather than the reader experiencing the events. I think I'd like it if the story were to begin when she is transported to the magic district; the rest could be filled in with a quick line or two of dialogue. Once you establish that she's cinderella, our minds can fill in all the information that came before. The scene in the magic district is where the story comes to life. I think you can skip most of the beginning section and most of the end section. For example, if the scene at the ball simply began with her trying to extract herself from the prince's company, and him wanting her to stay (with, at first, seeming princely innocence), we would know that they fell in love (or we would think so) because that's what we expect to happen, knowing the story of Cinderella. You have an advantage here in that you can actually totally skip the boring parts (the exposition) in this story -- because we already know it! I really liked your writing in the middle section. Gross, but evocative.

#

Sacred Trust

I don't have a problem with the POV shifts here. It seems like you know what you're doing, but once you move over to the grandfather's POV (Inwardly, he hoped the boy was wrong), I don't think you should use Grandpa anymore to describe him -- because he probably doesn't think of himself as "Grandpa". I don't think of myself as "Uncle" for example; I have a name! ... When Bobby says, "I'm only seven!" -- I'd like it better if that line was cut. It seems to be more for the benefit of the readership than something he might really say. And we don't need it. Just "How can I save the world" would be better. Most seven years olds don't (in my experience) think of their age as a specific handicap. It just doesn't occur to them. If it's important (seventh son of a seventh son, seven years old) -- maybe have the grandpa say how old the boy is (or think it) at some point? ... I like it when he shoves the boy into the pit. Overall, I liked it quite a bit. A lot of good things going on. Descriptive writing, an original story, nice characters. I think it can be sharpened up with a few more passes. I think the segment when Bobby is inside the consciousness of the Ancient could be expanded (not too much) into a really alien-seeming and (my mind wants to say) lyrically strange few paragraphs. That seems to me to be called for. Nice work.

#

Jonas The Invisible

I do think we need a little bit more of an explanation as to why he won't steal. Maybe a short scene or a paragraph tying that in to his experiences at church? Or something? Or when you say moral code -- a few sentences about what his moral code is -- what it means to him? I just kept thinking: what? Steal! You're starving, kid! ... Okay, it's a well-written tale, and enjoyable to read. The only problem I want to mention is that I don't think enough is questioned by the kids or explained to the audience. This begs for expansion -- perhaps double the current word count? They just flow right along with strange terms and strange events as though -- yeah, it's out of the ordinary -- but since they don't understand it, their only choice is to accept it. That felt unnatural to me. They should have more angst about what's going on. I really liked the actual plot. In the end, I was expecting her not to be able to see him anymore, once she was free of her obligation to the secret library. He would be invisible again to her, the way he was to everyone else, and that that would be the sacrifice and the twist of the story. Although it didn't necessarily have to mean that they couldn't continue to be friends. I don't know. Can you be friends with an invisible kid?

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Thanks Troy. I hope life improves for you.

Pat

snapper
Member # 7299

I want a recount! I want a recount! Where's a federal Judge? I'll hold up the results longer than that Minnesota Senate race (no winner still).

Just kidding. Great Job everybody, and especially you Unwritten, I am surprised that mine did so well. So many excellent stories to chose from.

And for the record, Troy. I thought yours was the best (but not by much).

Thank you to everyone that gave me a critique. And Thanks to Talespinner. Wnoderful job again by you.

Sherpa7
Member # 8321

- posted      Profile for Sherpa7   Email Sherpa7         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Unwritten. I am so happy for you! (Uncontrolable whooping and cheering)
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

Thank you, snapper, for the compliment...

Thank you, authors, for your patience. Here are the rest of my comments on the remaining stories that were in my crit group. Thanks for the reads.

PARTS PER MILLION

Pretty solid. A few nits. "The deceit a co-worker told my boss when he explained why his expense accountant was so large." Doesn't quite parse. "'The toothpaste you used has whitening in it.'" What's the whitening agent? Peroxide? Might sound more consistent. I thought he overreacted to the 11 year old menstruating, maybe, for someone who is newly about the stink of nature. Somehow I didn't think it warranted an 'Oh God' and a running out. I got that it was the buildup of things, but maybe add one more thing that before the running out. "'Do you think early man could smell like this?'" Made me go HUH? Where'd that come from? And then you lose me a bit at the end. I feel like there must be some other solution... And something else behind the problem. Just... something more. I'm not sure what, it just felt to me as if the story came to a sudden stop, rather than a resolution. I like it when he shouts to the dog.

#

A BREATH OF DEAD AIR

Great voice. I like that your story and mine shared a common theme (poop!). I would have liked to see more intermingling of in-the-moment action to go along with the MC telling this tale. For example, to my way of thinking, the first sentence of the story could be 'I was being extra careful as I made my way through the tunnels....' with the preceding business about smelling death and getting beaten by his da and the brown flood dropped into the main action of the story. Some creative dragging and dropping could give this story more balance and flow. This is my favorite story in the group. Well done. I liked that the MC, when he talks, sounds much more childish than when he narrates. I took from that seeming-inconsistency that he is recalling childhood events though he himself is much older and more sophisticated now than when the story took place.

#

RECEPTACLE

Cleanly written. Not much to criticize. But I think it would have benefitted from more immersion into the minds of the characters. So much of the story was on the surface. It didn't give me much to grip onto. Probably that's what you were going for: the cinematic approach. It didn't quite work for me. I thought it might be helpful to you to know that. I just wanted at least one character to play the role of eyes and ears for me. To process the events of the story through a mind that felt one way or another about things. To give me some more perspective. I liked the twist at the end, but then, I'm always a sucker for a well-done twist.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Thanks for completing this, Troy. I look forward to seeing your stuff in our next contest ...

Cheers,
Pat

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.