Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Big 3 vs. Online? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Big 3 vs. Online?
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Advice for everyone: Know who in your area (usually Animal Control in the U.S.) to call when you notice dead or injured animals in the road. Even small roadkill can cause an accident by attracting larger scavengers.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
And remember, in Tennessee you're allowed to take roadkill home and eat it. Make sure it's cooked thoroughly, though. Let's be safe out there.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gone off the road on several occasions to avoid hitting something...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Around these here parts there's a status divide. People who think they're better than others put down the others whenever a chance arises, and conversely. Every so often, an editorial commentary will appear online or in print condemning the people on the less privileged side of the community for abandoning pet animals along the roadside that are then run over. No matter that the roadkills are more often opposum and racoons, sometimes it's cats or dogs.

A thoughtful person would realize that roadkill always increases when the nights are exceptionally cold and the days are warm. The animals crawl out onto the road attracted by the residual warmth and fall asleep, and beome prey to the next unwitting driver driving along in the wee early morning hours.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, deer are the most common roadkill in my area. I would guess that I see a freshly killed deer about every three days. I see them (alive) in my backyard every once in a while, but they usually visit very early in the morning. I've seen as many as ten or fifteen at the same time.

Rich, I lived in Tennessee for eight years. You're right about the roadkill there, but the rule is that it has to still be warm. On a side note, Tennesse had some of my favorite animal crossing signs from your standard "Deer Crossing" to "Cow Crossing" signs. However, my favorite was "Marsupial Crossing". While I lived there, I did not have enough fingers (10) to count how many people I knew who didn't know what a marsupial was.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the question for baduizt is, why was the car running for the bus? ;-)

Because it was afraid of flying...

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda like the way this thread wandered from talking about the Big Three SF mags to road kill. Are they just road kill on the Information Superhighway now?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are they just road kill on the Information Superhighway now?

Yes. And I decree that we can eat them, cold or warm, it doesn't matter. Just use plenty of salt.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
In the small SD town in high school I went to, a few people actively sought out roadkill, not for eating (as far as I know) but to sell the fur. These people also tended to swerve TOWARD small animals in the road.

I don't miss that town at all (although mostly for other reasons).

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of story material in here. Internet, road kill (real and virtual), mysterious towns and reasons for leaving...
Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.