Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Font

Author Topic: Font
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
What font are books typically published in?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
In ye olden days, say, from about the early 19th Century through the middle of the 20th Century, Caslon was almost exclusively the book block type face in England and the U.S. Since then, any oldstyle face has been used that tickles the fancy of the publisher. The digital age resulted in an explosion of new or newly reintroduced fonts and faces. Times, Jansen, Goudy, Palatino, Baskerville, and Garamond are examples of other oldstyle type faces. Oldstyles always have serifs, and transitional stroke widths (diagonal stress), and sometimes elaborate bowls, ascenders, and descenders.

Oldstyle types are easiest to read in print. On screens with curved surfaces, sans serif fonts are easiest to read.

Other font family categories of type faces include; Modern, Slab serif, Script, and decorative

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
The font type is generally listed on the copyright page if you are looking to identify one in particular.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Thanks. So to re-phrase my question, what do you suppose is the most commonly used font for sci-fi fantasy novels?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Times New Roman is the most commonly used typeface these days in most publications, including fantastical genres. Goudy is one of the more distinctive. Garamond and Baskerville are about as generic in appearance as Times New Roman but distinctive enough for some sensibilities. Janson and Caslon are a bit too stylistically quaint for modernistic themes, but Caslon is probably in the running with Times and Garamond and Baskerville in fantastical genres. Janson, or Adobe's Jensen, or sometimes Jansen, is a proprietary typeface that costs extra and is not as common in font catalogues because of the cost.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

So Times, then.

Is that your final answer?

(jk, thanks for the help)

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 19, 2009).]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Times is my final anser, close enough for government work. Me, I'm partial to Goudy. It takes up more line width character-by-character and is therefore more readable and elegant than all the other faces, at least in my opinion. I'm bored with Times. Caslon is my second favorite face.
Zero
Member # 3619

I like one called Calibri. But I've only ever sene it on Word.

Does anyone ever use Arial?

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with extrinsic on this one - prefer Times, and that is what I see the most.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that Times is the best font for large volumes of print, not only because the eye runs easily over the text because of the serifs, but because it's very dense, more words per inch. Almost all newspapers, all books, use Times or another serif font. It's said also that Times lends a sense of authority to the text. I don't know if that's an association with the Times of London newspaper, or something else.

What puzzles me is that I have also read that, as extrinsic says, Arial or another non-serif font is best for on-line reading. What I do not understand is why that should be. The text looks the same to me whether on-screen or printed.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Flat screen monitors are like paper, flat. Cathode ray tube monitors have convex surfaces. Serifs and proportional stroke thicknesses in Oldstyle faces cause optical illusions that strain the eye on curved surfaces, thus why Arial and other sans serif faces are good for online reading.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited February 20, 2009).]

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clearing that up for me, extrinsic. It has been puzzling me for a long time.
Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

One other clarification, Times New Roman is a modern oldstyle typeface reintroduction based in part on the classic proportions and qualities of ancient Roman text engraved into entablature and column capitals.

Chiseling crisp corners into stone weakened the corners. Serifs eased the corners making them less vulnerable to weathering, accidents, and vandalism. Some typologists theorize that thousands of years of habit has made serif fonts preferable, others that letters with serifs conform to the Golden Ratio and are therefore naturally aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

"Times" is from the British newspaper's name that commissioned the design of Times New Roman in 1931 to replace its typographically outdated Times Old Roman.

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what made me come here tonight, but here I am. I love typography, even though I'm no professional.

Zero, you probably think you've asked a simple question, but it might not be. Are you asking because you're working on something? If you're asking because of a project rather than idle curiosity, then understanding your project would help us give advice.

So what's the reason for the question? Are you going to self-publish a book? Create a proposal? Will it be in Word or Pages? Will you make a PDF? Is it for the Web? Do you need free? Do you need something that's already installed on your system, or would it be okay to download something? Are you using a Mac or a PC? Do you use foreign characters and symbols? Is this something for you and maybe some close friends, or something you'd like to give a wider audience? How long is the text? Will you need headlines and subheads? Very basic, yes-no style answers to these questions would help.

I don't know that there's a "typical" font (typeface, really) for books to be published in. Most designers would tell you that you should choose a typeface that suits the text. Many copyright pages don't tell you what typeface they're set in, but among those that do there's a really wide variance. Saying "It's Times New Roman" understates the variety and, IMHO, misstates the reality of the situation.

If you're trying to do something yourself, I'd need to know more before giving you real advice; however, as a sweeping generalization I'd say that online texts should use a sans-serif body text, while printed material should use a serifed body text. Headlines could be serifed or unserifed, but often headlines are in a contrasting typeface (e.g., Verdana (sans-serif) text with Garamond (serif) headlines).

Caslon is good and was once ubiquitous, but now it seems a little old: I do our older "Classic Flash" pieces in it because I want that old-style feel. Garamond variants are always popular, and although they have a classic look most of them don't look dated. Bodoni is often considered elegant, with its high contrast between thick and thin, though I don't personally like it. I think the Wall Street Journal's masthead is a Bodoni. Minion (considered in more detail below) is an excellent typeface for printed body text.

All of these are serifed faces: they'll look better at print resolution than at screen resolution. That's the reason for using sans-serif on computers; it has nothing really to do with curved vs. flat screens. Average screens struggle to hold the visual detail needed to render a serif well. That said, if you're working with graphics, Flash animation, or something similar, the computer may smooth the text, which might be effective: your mileage may vary.

If your text is relatively short or will be displayed on-screen, you might consider sans-serif faces for your main text: Univers, Helvetica (which is still excellent even though it's a little too common for some people's taste), Frutiger; Myriad (detailed in a moment); or go download the lovely and free Fontin Sans (which is what I use for most of my PDFs at Flash Fiction Online).

No, nobody who knows anything and has a choice uses Arial. It's an ugly, misshapen knockoff of Helvetica. This is typical of designers' attitudes towards it.

The four "c" fonts -- Calibri, Cambria, Candara, and Consolas -- are all typefaces that get installed with Office 2007. That's why you've only seen Calibri in Word. They're all pretty good faces and won't embarass you at all.

If your work is going online, you won't have all these great options I just mentioned. You'll have Verdana, Times, Georgia, Arial, etc., and frankly the typographic situation is somewhat impoverished.

If you have a choice, I would generally recommend *against* Times (Mac) and Times New Roman (Windows), for two reasons.

First, because it's *everywhere*, which makes it seem stale compared to your other options. It's a little like Yogi Berra saying, "That place is so crowded, nobody goes there anymore," but it's true. If you want a fresh feeling to your book, it's best not to set it in a tired font.

Second, because lots of designers hate it. Given a choice, most real designers will choose something else. One piece of evidence for that is the articles that talk about "taking back Times Roman" -- they always start with something like, "Yes, we know you hate Times, but it's everywhere on the Web, and it's really not as bad as all _that_..." Not that you have to cow-tow to designers, but if you're doing something important, isn't it nice not to have people say, "Too bad the guy used a crappy typeface." That's more likely to happen with Times than with, say, Garamond or even New Century Schoolbook.

Times does see some use in places where its "economy" is helpful -- that's the number of words you can fit on a line, as TaleSpinner pointed out. Yes, it's a little bit condensed, which makes it good for mass-market economy is important. But if you're doing something special, you probably don't want to look like a pulp. Give your text a little breathing room.

If you do need that economy, I'd prefer Minion, a typeface designed by Robert Slimbach. You can see what it looks like in print by looking at a copy of "The Elements of Typographic Style" by Robert Bringhurst -- most of the copy in that book is set in Minion, if I recall correctly, and you should be able to get a look at it through your local library or decent bookstore.

If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader running on Windows, you can find the files for Minion here:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Resource\Font
...along with Myriad, which I mentioned before and which is eminently worth having. Just drag the MyriadPro and MinionPro .otf files into your \windows\fonts directory. (You have to do this with Explorer. It won't work from DOS.)

Now, here's the issue: if you're creating a PDF, these fonts should embed nicely. But if your final product is going to be a Word document or an HTML page, and the other person doesn't have these fonts installed, they probably won't see your font. Unless you engage in some technical trickery (embedded fonts in Word, sIFR on the Web) they'll probably see a G-d-awful substitute that will make your page look terrible. So only do this if you control the final output.

So that's way more than you wanted to know, and more than I wanted to write -- but I'm not about to spend even _more_ time editing it. So back to the point: why do you want to know what typeface books are printed in?

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
As a graphic designer working at a newspaper, I would argue that newspapers do NOT use Times Roman as a base font. Where I work, we use a font called Nimrod for our story text. Times Roman is too difficult to read in smaller type; a designer looks for something with a nice plump x-height, that middle portion of the letter.

And serifed type is not necessarily easier to read... especially if you are dyslexic. The serifs can tend to confuse the eye for people who struggle with this problem. My research turned up a recommendation of Trebuchet or Verdana if you are trying to make your font more "accessible" to people with reading disabilities.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, what are your references? I'd learned in my college Technical Communication course to use Arial for on-screen presentations. If Trebuchet and Verdana are easier for more people to read, then I may change the font of work presentations and webpages.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Oliver,

First of all, thank you very much for the detailed reply.

I'm going to print my own manuscript for my friends to read (who are hard people to get to read anything anyway) and I want to make the experience as painless as possible.

It's on a PC but I don't think that matters since I can download any recommended font. Also the story is completely in english with no strange characters or accents. Just basic type. And it's 120,000 words long.

And I always make into a pdf just before I print the whole project.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited March 05, 2009).]

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspirit, I would go with Verdana, Trebuchet, and Lucida Sans / Lucida Sans Unicode before Arial. People use Arial in on-screen presentations -- I'm thinking PowerPoint here, not Web -- because everyone has it, and especially in PowerPoint you end up with reformatting problems if the computer has to substitute fonts. However, most people have Verdana and Trebuchet.

If you want to see the most common fonts across various systems, go to http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/sampler-WindowsResults.shtml

If you're creating a PDF you can use whatever face you want; and it's a lot of words, so you'd like something economical. To keep it simple I'd say this: go find the Minion typeface I mentioned, install it, and set the entire thing in that. It'll look relatively fresh, the page count will be a little lower without the text being squished, and for this application that's 99% of what you have to worry about.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Oliver!
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitchellworks
Member # 6779

- posted      Profile for mitchellworks   Email mitchellworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an aside, when I was at camp with OSC last summer, he mentioned that he likes Bookman Old Style for his manuscripts, and I tried it and LOVE IT. It has that plump x-height that Elan mentioned, and apparently he has no trouble submitting his works in that face, so I'm guessing it's not too unprofessional.

Certainly for friends, it would be acceptable. Give it a look. (though I don't know how common it is on the Mac, since I use PC...)

--Amber

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.