Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sequels--How much do you assume?

Author Topic: Sequels--How much do you assume?
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a question I'm currently wrestling with. My novel turned out to be a trilogy. I've written a first draft of the second book and I'm trying to get myself into the third book.

My questions are: How much do you assume readers know from the previous book(s)? How much do you have to reintroduce characters and their relationships? How much of what happened before do you need to bring out? When the characters are not REALLY new, but continuing from the previous story, can you introduce a few more of them in the first chapter? It seems strange to ignore them when I know that they're right there, living next door so to speak.

This is a little more important to me in Book Three because I've also got to explain the events that took place in the time that elapsed between books two and three (about two years). So I don't want to have to do a lot of re-introduction of the characters, too.

I'm going to do some research on how others have handled it by re-reading some series that I have on my shelves. Probably starting with Harry Potter. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask for opinions here, too.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, I just managed to pick up book three of Gail Z. Martin's Chronicle of the Necromancer. Unfortunately, my library only owns the third book.

There is a good sized prologue at the beginning which I imagine chronicles all that has gone before in the other two books, in a nutshell, so to speak.

I would think that mentioning all of your main important characters and events would be enough to start the reader on their way.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Well, that's one way to do it. I hadn't thought of that. And I don't know why, I know I've read books that used that method. Anybody that has read the first book can just skip the prologue and anybody that's picking up the second or third book can get an introduction to what's going on. It also handles introducing many if not most of the ongoing characters.

That could very well be the right solution, here. Thank you.

Now I have to dig out a book that used that, if I have one, just to have a look at how it was handled.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith, I think mommiller's suggestion is a great idea. Several months ago, I read the Dune prequels, and everyone of them, after the first one, spent the first two chapters intertwining new story with back-story infodumps. It was very annoying and distracting from the current story.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

I'm actually writing out a prologue for Book Two right now, to see how it works. I figure that I have to start there, anyway. Then, I can cut it down some and add the events of Book Two to make a prologue for Book Three.

If nothing else, it's a first step towards writing the synopsis. Although the prologue is way too long for that purpose.

I've always kind of appreciated this kind of prologue in sequels, because you don't feel you have to go back and re-read the previous books just so you remember where you are and who everybody is.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I, as a reader, would prefer that if I read Book X of a series, that I not need to have read Books 1 through (X - 1) to understand what's going on in front of me.

I've found this a chronic problem. Sequels, especially in the lengthier series, sometimes seem utterly dependent on "what has gone before." Not just information, but actual plot developments, too. Even the tone of the story shifts a lot.

(The one time I had to deal with this in my work, in a series of Internet Fan Fiction pseudo-scripts, I simply assumed that nobody had read any of the stories that I'd written before, that this might be the only one they ever see. A brief note at the beginning, about how things sorted out, was all I did. I don't really know how successful all this was, but the people who read them seemed to like them. (Of course, I assumed they had seen the official series episodes, but that's not quite the same thing.))

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

The books stand alone. At least I hope they do. I much prefer that, too. Each has its own villain(s) and its own conflict. Some things are foreshadowed in the earlier books. And the conflict that is resolved in Book Three really started back in Book One, so they tie together.

I think the prologues will help.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem that I have encountered in writing the second book in a series was not so much character development as world development. I spent so long building the world in book 1 that I just went from there in book 2 and most of my readers that hadn't read book 2 asked questions like "how are fairies different from humans?" and "what does magic do in your world. If anyone has any good advice about how to catch people up on the milieu without starting from scratch, I'd love to hear it. (I don't think this is off-topic, but if you think it is Merideth, I'd be happy to start a different thread).
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

No. That's a legitimate problem for my series, too. I've got a lot of things I established about the cultures in this world in Book One, too. Some of it I can bring out in a synopsis/prologue without dragging that down too much. But not all.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to keep in mind when writing a prologue. If you want to draw readers into the previous books in the series, watch out for spoilers in your prologue. Obviously, they're going to be able to deduce that if someone is still alive, they didn't die in a previous book.

Try to make it just sufficient enough to get a handle on the story rather than a regurgitation of all that went on in the past. This should be relatively easy if your previous books are self-contained as you mentioned above.

An idea you might try is writing the prologue like a book jacket blurb rather than a synopsis. Get them excited to read what's next using a minimum of previous plot elements.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of times when I find a new series to read the library doesn't have the book one, and so I start with the second book. I've even been known to read books completely out of order. This leads me to the opinion that;

Every book needs to be it's own story. Which means each book is a different book.

That sounds simple, but I think it is important to realize that if you end a story with chapter eighteen, then chapter one of book two can not be just a chapter nineteen. I think you need to focus on what story (beginning middle end) you want to tell. What theme you want to use, and where it is you should begin.

Even in book one, things should have happened before the story takes place. So approach book two the same way you did book one.

The past is prologue. No matter if you use a prologue to share information or just memories when, and if, they seem important.

Sorry for the soap box. I've just been thinking about how to start my own first book two in a series, so I am especially opinionated.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sheena makes a good point here.

No story, if it is going to be believable, realistic, engaging, etc, happens in a vacuum. The characters need to seem to have existed before the story starts or they won't seem strong enough. The setting needs to be lived in as well, and the plot has to have been generated by things that have happened before the story starts.

So when you start any story, you have to provide some background, and I get the impression that one of the best ways to do that is to sift it gently into the story as it unfolds, instead of lumping it all into one big explanation.

That should work whether the story is the first of a series, the middle book, or the final book.

Prologues are another way to deal with the problem, though, and they are used for stand-alone novels as well as for later books in series. I'm one of those readers who tends to skip prologues, though, unless I still want MORE when I've finished the book, and the prologue is the only thing left for me to read.

The author has to figure out what works best for the story, and do that. But sometimes, figuring that out requires trying more than one approach until the best one becomes clear.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Okay, I think I've found a couple of models for how to do a prologue/synopsis. Maybe. I've been looking at what I've got on my shelves, (books come in, but they rarely go out) and the series that seems to use a prologue is David Eddings' The Elenium. Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn uses a synopsis of the previous book at the beginning of the subsequent books rather than a prologue.

So, I'm going re-read those. I remember really liking both of those trilogies anyway.

I absolutely agree that the books need to be able to stand on their own as complete stories. And that some, at least, of the history should be sprinkled in to the story itself. But it just may not be practical to get ALL of it in that way.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think, in some books, it's kind of a marketing stunt...sucker some readers in with one book, get them interested enough to buy the other books...the writer and publisher make more money than they would've if they hadn't...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting question.

I'm currently reading near the end of Robin Hobbs's Assassin/Tawny Man saga, and really find it disruptive when she recaps backstory from previous books. I understand the concerns about readers jumping in at book 5 of 6 or something, but for the stalwarts who plow through from the beginning, relegating that kind of stuff to footnotes and appendices would be better.

Often I question whether the recaps are really necessary in order to follow the current portion of the story, although some significances might be lost. But if that's concern to a reader, in general I'd suggest they read the previous volumes, ratherthan have the author bloat the later volumes.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings movies spend zero time recapping what happened previously, and the few people I know that started on the second or third movie say that while it was jarring at first, they were quickly drawn into the world.
Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Yes, but I don't know how many people who saw the LOTR movies didn't already KNOW the story. What was jarring to me was the way they messed up part of the plot. Especially the Aragorn/Arwen/Elrond relationship.

I knew the story so well that the first time I saw the movies I spent about half the time saying "They skipped that" or "That's not right. It wasn't that way in the book".

It actually took me several viewings (TNT puts all three movies on once every couple of months) to get to where I could enjoy the movies just for what they are and not compare them to the book.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Readers simply will not, it seems, do as writers might prefer.

We write a series of books numbered 1, 2, 3, etc, and what do they do? Start with book four.

So to make it easy for them, we write prologues -- which, more often than not, they skip. (Why? Because nobody likes infodumps and 'prologue' is really just a euphemism for 'infodump at the beginning'. The trick with the prologue is to entice the reader to read it; not easy.)

I think the best answer is to lace all they need to know into each book (story), because if we don't -- if they don't understand the story either because they didn't read the books in the right order, or they skipped the prologues -- we'll never know. We'll only know that sales were disappointing. They won't tell us they didn't buy the other books in the series because they didn't understand book four, they'll just buy something else.

Yes, that's not easy. It means, perhaps, introducing a new character for each book, one who needs stuff explained. Or, as in Harry Potter, it means having MC remember experiences (like how he got the scar) so we know his motivation (and in Harry's case it felt authentic, for one would indeed relive such an experience when the memory is provoked).

The initiating post mentions using the prologue to explain events that happened between books. I fear that's a mistake: surely, significant events ought to be in one book or another? Missing them out risks making the reader feel short-changed, perhaps?

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

"The initiating post mentions using the prologue to explain events that happened between books. I fear that's a mistake: surely, significant events ought to be in one book or another? Missing them out risks making the reader feel short-changed, perhaps?"

I wasn't clear enough about that, I think. The events between books are, in fact, between books because they're BORING. There are some socio/economic/political shifts that take place over the course of a couple of years. Not having to put the reader to sleep with that is one reason for the gap. My MC will be sort of on the edge of these changes, but not deeply involved until later. Other than that, a couple of secondary characters would get married during the gap and one child would have been born just before Book Three opens.

If I put that at the end of Book Two, people will never finish the book. I wouldn't. If I start Book Three with it, no one will read it. Again, I wouldn't. If I can't get excited about it, it's certain the reader won't. But those changes just WOULD happen, based on the events in Book Two.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.