Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » frequent pauses in speech

Author Topic: frequent pauses in speech
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
How would you do this? Let's say you had a character that, for whatever reason, talks like William Shatner. How would you do it?

"Spock, I, really, need, more, toilet paper." ?

"Spock, I... really... need... more... toilet paper." ?

"Spock, I - really - need - more - toilet paper." ?

It seems like whatever you do it's going to be annoying.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be the least distracting to do something like this:

"Spock, I really need more toilet paper." Shatner spoke with a noticeable pause between each word.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
For occasional pauses, like someone is searching for a word or having trouble saying something, I use elipses.

For what you're talking about, I think some sort of description might be better.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree...Excessive elipses... It burns us.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the many jobs that a writer plays in a story, actor and director are two where it's a best practice to tread lightly. The principle being a reader will fulfill those roles from a few given cues. Once a character is established in a reader's mind as a stutterer, a melodramatic speaker with halting speech, an excitable character who always speaks in exclamations and italic emphases, a self-important character who browbeats and interrupts others, a speaker who spends a great deal of time in introspective deliberations, then frequent additional ellipsis points, dashed interruptions, exclamation points, italics for speaking emphasis or setting off thought, bolded text, all capitals, whatever, can become disruptive in excess.

Dashed interruptions, exclamation points--the bang in a typesetter's vulgar vernacular--ellipsis points, all caps, bolded, or italicized text serve useful purposes, but excessive usages make a manuscript read like all the characters are intimidating, intimidated, tentative, excitable, introspective gibbering idiots.

Excess formatting acrobatics are also a form of directorial intrusion, telling a reader how to interpret a story's emotional context and meaning, lazy writing. If it's not shown by context, the punctuation antics aren't going to convey emotional responses and meaning, either. In fact, when excessive and telling me how to interpret meaning and respond emotionally, they turn me right out of a story.

I believe it's a best writing practice to first learn how to convey a story's emotions without the safety net of punctuation acrobatics.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how to do it, but I know what I don't like. I'm not trying to pick on the Twilight series, but it happened often enough for me to really take notice.

What. Do. You. Think. You're. Doing.

I hate that. It's really disruptive. I can see that slow speech is trying to be emphasized, but I don't think it's effectively pulled off.

Just my opinion.

P.S. I'm really not trying to pick on the Twilight series. I read all of the books and I think her writing has really improved from the first to the last book.

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (edited March 09, 2009).]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Thanks, everyone! I agree that a description is better than trying to produce the event. Thanks for the idea, not sure why I didn't think of it, lol.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
For what you describe, if you wanted to punctuate it in, periods I think work best, but that's a device to use sparingly.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should take a Pinter pause. That means that everytime there is a pause someone is thinking something, or making a decision.

I would try writing it in the pausers perspective.

Say, for example.

"Spock," Was it really Spock, and what was Spocks last name anyway? "I," well not just me, the entire crew in fact, "really needs," is it a need, or perhaps it's a want, "More," definitly more, less would not help. "Toilet paper." Oh man, now Spock is going to think I am an idiot.

If you do this, you should know it's hard to follow the sentence. But once from the perspective is enough for the reader to figure out what's going on if it happens a lot.

Hope that helps, or at the very least, amuses.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol Sheena
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
For William Shatner, wouldn't it be more like:

"SpockIreallyneed...more...........toiLET PAPER!"

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

LOL!

Touche to the max!

micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if it is just me, or all people with >= my nerd points level, but any time you use the all-periods, I involuntarily stop reading and think of, "Worst. Episode. Ever."

Comic Book Guy - The Simpsons, Episode #... ah, hell... just about every time he appears.

Note - it's also a fark meme (++nerd_points; add more if you can link it to 4chan).

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

It's too bad a dialogue tag lacks the ability to give you the intonation he uses when he says that. To me that's half the comedy.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be knit-picky, but Shatner wouldn't be saying this to Spock. It would be Captain Kirk instead. And if someone wants to argue that they're one and the same, they're not. Shatner is a flesh and blood actor (or was), and Kirk is a fictional character .
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself siding with the description idea, however

quote:
"Spock, I really need more toilet paper." Shatner spoke with a noticeable pause between each word.

as a reader I find this intruding, because I've already read the dialogue when I find out that he spoke with a pause between each word. In such cases I will often go back and re-read the dialogue with the corrected tone.

It is hard if it's just the way the character speaks in general, since it's intrusive to suitably tag every bit of dialogue, but then if it's been described you don't have to; an occasional reference to the character's speaking style might be enough:

"Spock," Kirk said, a hint of desperation accompanying his typical staccato, "I need more toilet paper."

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.