Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Negative Reviews.

Author Topic: Negative Reviews.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
They're useful. If anything they're the most valuable. or can be. And I try to take them with a fake smile and an open mind.

But deep inside a little voice cries out "Negative Reviews Suck!"

--

Having said that, how do you all deal with negative reviews? For me, they allow me to improve in the long run. Usually. But in the short term they sap my motivation and I lose focus on whatever project I'm working on. Like the energy just vanishes in a poof of insecurity.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I think My best crits are the ones I get fired up about and worry that I will offend the writer, but the truth is that I get fired up because I find passion in the story and think it or something about it is really good and I want them to sucseed.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Positive crits are awesome moral boosters. Negative crits are probably closer to the truth.

I find then to be the most helpful. They force you to look at what you couldn't, or didn't want to see.
They make you wonder about the reviewers motives. They may be looking for fault but if they find it, then it's probably something that will need to be looked at.

I usually get extra inspired after I get one. I want my piece to be successful just to prove them wrong.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'd gotten a negative reponse from a reader, I liked to find ways to feel good about my writing progress before the doldrums set in. My thank-you reply was invariably effusive, approving praise regardless of whether it was deserved. My ego moaned, but I felt better from not escalating or perpetuating a visceral response cycle.

Another thing I liked to do was see if the negative response applied similarly to the reader-responder's writing, when or if available to me. Often, the response was somewhat ahead of the reader-responder's attention to similar defects in their writing, which parallels my development experiences. It's easier to see the failings in others' writing before we see it in our own, thus the writing workshop paradigm of peer review.

I wasn't improving as fast as I wanted from reader-writer responses. In the early months and years, it was helpful, but grew more limited in penetrating insights. An approach that kept me in the loop longer than would have if I'd abandoned it as the usefulness of being critiqued was waning was to seek out a prominent favorable feature in the stories I responded to and then write balanced responses as much as possible. I lapsed too often, though, out of frustration at identical, recurrent flaws. My responses were sounding like broken records. I wasn't growing, and I was causing more harm than good.

Another method that made me feel better was to critique published stories from the same approaches, what's working, what's not, for personal purposes. I still do that last, but I'm generally burned out on the critiquing process. I ultimately learned why a writer's pilgrimage is a solitary journey. Not submiting a reading response removed a lot of heartache. Not offering my fledgling efforts for critique eliminated more.

Seeking out and studying up on new avenues for growth and development distracts me from depressing moods.

All along, I've sought tools for evaluating my stories so I didn't have to rely on outsiders to grow as a writer. I've found the tools, in disparate places and at great efforts.

I believe I've gathered a complete synthesis of processes. Now, applying what I've learned is taking up my creative efforts through knuckling down on a breadboard story that's worthy of the effort. May it be the gateway to my breakthrough.

Knowing precedes doing. I'm entering the proactive doing stage of my pilgrim's progress and it feels real and good.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it, allow myself to get really pissed off and feel sorry for myself for a couple days, and then I force myself to reread the crit. And I force myself to consider, okay, is this as bad as I thought it was? If so, do I think it's accurate? If so, what am I going to do about it? The answer almost always is, write another story.

That, and I remind myself that my ability and potential as a writer does not equal my perceived performance in one story. It's one person's opinion on one story that I wrote. So I take it for what it's worth and move on. I will write many many short stories in my career.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
While I wallow in good reviews - I generally don't learn much from them unless they are detailed about why what I wrote was judged good.

Reviews revealing flaws in my work or my assumptions about how readers view my work are the MOST helpful. I appreciate them the most after licking my wounded ego.

Plain old bad reviews that give me no insights to the flaws that prompted them -- those I try to ignore.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm actively looking to improve my work (or claim to be), I tend to take note of negative reviews---but don't necessarily pay attention to them. Or positive ones, either.

Not that I've gotten that many.

(As opposed to critiques, where I'm even-more-so actively looking for someone who can point out flaws and mistakes and errors and the like---and an honest critique is likely to be more negative than a negative review, no matter how it's sliced.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
worse than a negative review-- a VAGUE negative review.
At least if the reader has reasons to hate it, I can consider whether I agree with those reasons and take them into account for future revisions and future stories.

A vague negative review that hates without saying why is only damaging, lowering my ego without the hint of beneficial side effects.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe one's ability to accept and grow from a negative critique is greatly aligned with level of stress and state of mind. I believe one's act of critiquing is also affected this way. I have been under a great deal of stress at work lately, even though I try not to display this in my posts, and as a result I'm not writing, submitting items for critique, or critiquing. I'm just not in a good place to do any of that.

Let's not get off on a tangent - unfortunately, I'm too good at that. My point is that one must balance his/her ability to give and accept negative criticism with how it is affected by or affects personal psyche.

One area that I do have trouble with just about any time is how to deal with opposing critiques. I have often experienced two people giving me completely opposite advice about a story. Then someone else might tell me something completely different from either of the first too. At that point, I begin pulling my hair out.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I like balanced crits. They point out some good and bad. I really appreciate getting ideas for improvment. When I first started getting crits they hurt and I would have to give myself space, but now I just enjoy getting feedback on how to improve.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One area that I do have trouble with just about any time is how to deal with opposing critiques. I have often experienced two people giving me completely opposite advice about a story. Then someone else might tell me something completely different from either of the first too. At that point, I begin pulling my hair out.

Steven King has said that he doesn't generally bother with points that different critiquers disagree on; it's when several people are giving you the same advice that you need to pay attention.

I try to view reviews and critiques as information, raw data as it were, rather than as conclusions or judgments on the writing. I draw my own conclusions from the information. Reactions to any given piece of writing are likely to be all over the map. I've read award winning fiction that I thought was really boring or flawed in some way. A single piece of writing is not going to please everyone.

It's important to know when something you wrote didn't work for a segment of your readers, and to understand why. But I try to remember it's just one piece of information in a larger picture.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
About a year ago, I wrote a bad story. It was a bad, bad story. Just lame and awful, yet niave though I was I thought it was good enough for review.

Someone ripped me to shreads, deservebly. They did it with a smile and curtesy, but they said the truth. This story is no good.

That made me stop and process.

It hurt, but hurt the way it does when it hurts to grow. I withdrew and stopped writing, throwing of the ideas that snagged, until I found one I couldn't shake.

I had to write it. I couldn't help myself.

By this point I learned enough to be careful. I reviewed others work, and in others work, like extrinsic said, I found truths and things that would help them grow. When finally I let someone else read my story, they showed me the inconsistencies of what I told them as opposed to what I wrote myself, and I had another breakthrough.

Bad critiques both given and recieved have helped me know how I need to improve, and have helped me get better. Though I am not to the point, yet, to recieve all glowing reviews, I am improving and climbing that tree to success.

What bugs me the most, is when someone tells you a story is great, then you submit it and embarass yourself. Be honest.
At least that is what I think.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Initially I get a surge of defensive feelings

Then I file them away and look at them later, usually when I file away my draft story for a cooling off/distancing period. When I go back to revise, I examine the criticisms to see what merit they have. Often they do have some good takeaways.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends if the crit is negative in the sense that it's just plain mean/you don't agree with the points, or if rather the crit is underscoring all of your own insecurities as a writer.

If it's the first, I try to just ignore it. If I don't agree with the things a critiquer recommends, I just move on. Ideally I get 3-4 crits on each project, I look to the next reviewer for input. Occasionally I've encountered bad reviewers - people who are either unable to communicate their points effectively in a way that can help me fix problems, or people who don't seem to know much about writing, or people who don't care for my writing content, style, genre. Thank them for the review, table it, move on to the next.

The second kind of critiquer is harder, but they're the ones who you need to pull closer. Find out why this part didn't work, what about your characterization was weak, why the dialogue fell flat. You will still have pieces of their feedback that you'll disregard because they suggest things that aren't in line with where you're going with the story, or they complain about something over here which you realize you can fix with better foreshadowing over there, etc. But these crits that help identify your weak spots in writing, that help identify weak spots in a specific story, or otherwise make you feel uncomfortable and inadequate as a writer...keep those ones! They're, as someone else pointed out in their response, the ones that make you grow. It's that uncomfortable painful kind of growing pain, but...it's the good kind.

A few fellow hatracker's have given me these kinds of reviews in the past, and I wouldn't be half the writer I aspire to be/think I am (lol) if it weren't for their honest, direct, and pointed feedback. I keep going back to these same reviewers time and again because the end result is so great, and by now the places they point out as weak don't sting as bad because honestly, if you asked me I would agree "I know I flubbed the characterization here, do you have any suggestions for me?" - oh, the value in having writing mentors like this is unmeasurable! Good luck in discerning which you have!

But no matter what, remember to thank the people who took time to read your work and give you feedback, even if you do choose to disregard it. You're the author, you get to decide what makes your final cut, but be gracious. Thank people.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Negative reviews usually encourage or confuse me. I print each one, note whether I'll make changes to my story or ignore the comments, then file the review for later.

An absence of comments, and submitting reviews, make me much more uncomfortable. Before I receive feedback, I assume what I've written is awful. That means I continue to distrust every part of my stories that weren't picked apart. Also, there's little feedback on reviews.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
extrinsic, as you say, the tools you refer to are not found in a single place, but are there any you would heartily recommend, saving some of us great efforts?

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind negative reviews as much as reviews that are just plain wrong.

I had one from a critic that was picking apart a piece of history represented in my book--claiming I got it wrong. I didn't. I did a TON of research and have the facts (and interviews) to back me up.

This reviewer was basing an opinion on assumptions--that were flat out incorrect, but printed the review as fact.

THAT bothered me.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
extrinsic, as you say, the tools you refer to are not found in a single place, but are there any you would heartily recommend, saving some of us great efforts?

Please, see the topic thread "Freytag's Technique of the Drama." That book contains more useful information in one place than any other I've found. Freytag's signal wrinting tome is not likely to save much effort beyond not wasting time, though. It's difficult to read and dense beyond the densest of modern-day textbooks and scholarly theses.

Also, the Wikipedia catagory page "Narratology" links to many, many specific topic pages worth studying.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.