Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » FTL Travel

Author Topic: FTL Travel
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Faster than light travel,

This is necessary for most space dramas but has, apparently, become cliche in the eyes of some publications. That being said...

Is it possible for two spaceships flying alongside each other at FTL speed to see each other through their windows?

(Also let's assume the windows are some kind of tough material instead of glass)

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, it doesn't matter if it is possible or not.

The only thing that matters is if you can convince me that it is possible.

Or not.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
No it is not possible, but as shimiqua said, convince me that it is.

Larry Niven's Known Space universe had space ships built out of a material mined from a white dwarf star. It was impervious and the only thing that could pass through it was visible light, which made its hull invisible to the naked eye.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, FTL isn't possible according to our current physics, so as others have said, if you can convince us the ships can go faster than light, then it depends on the physics of your faster-than-light universe, or whatever it is that they travel through.

(The inherent problem in your question is that our current physics says that the speed of light is constant, and independent of the speed of the observer. Thus, if you could somehow go faster than light (which the theory says you can't but anyhow) then, since you're going, er, faster than light, how would you ever see anything? The light bouncing off the thing you're looking at would never catch you up, so you'd, er, never see the thing you're looking at. Even if you're looking at another ship going FTL, makes no difference; the light still travels at the same constant speed, slower than you and therefore invisible. I think you'd see black out the window, not the streaks-for-passing-stars you see out of the Enterprise window when it's going where nobody went before at Warp speed. The idea we often see in movies that in FTL space everything goes bendy and psychdelic colours has no scientific basis, methinks.)

In Melissa Scott's "Dreaming Metal", for example, ship's pilot needed special hardware that was AI-enhanced to navigate space at FTL speed; I believe that in her universe it wasn't possible to see out of a ship at all.

I think that, without entirely contradicting current physics, today's SF can posit wormholes -- connections between 'folds' of space, through which ships travel. Although they move at sub-light speeds, ships get the appearance of FTL by taking short cuts through the wormholes from one region of the galaxy to another.

Then it would depend on your imaginary physics; even if a wormhole were large enough for two ships side by side, it might be necessary for a ship to be exactly in the middle of the wormhole for it to transport the ship accurately and safely; then, the windows would need to be fore and aft so that ships could travel one after another in the wormhole yet see each other.

Another factor would be the length of the wormholes. If they literally just connect folds in space, they might be quite short and a ship might not spend enough time inside to observe anything.

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited May 05, 2009).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Omega   Email Omega         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, typically if you want to do FTL travel you need to find a new way of doing it that sometimes doesn't even involve speed at all. Wormholes are a sort of an example but look at OSC's method. Travelling to some outside realm and then jumping back is perfectly acceptable (and actually fits with string theory now that I think about it).
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I would do it, is not with windows. The hull would be pure impervious.
I would have the computers taking the light that is detected and correcting it to match the real world outside. People would see the screen and see the stars floating by .

Of course, two ships going faster than light, would have an light reflecting off them, to pass behind them. The other ship would not be seen.

One thing that is used for interplanetary travel, is to also use a quirk in physics that we have not solved, to allow faster than light communications and faster than light vision.

I have heard theories that light does not actually travel at the same speed. They have seen signs of evidence that shows that different wavelengths do move faster than others. That might be something that can be used. At faster than light speed, they might be under the speed of certain wavelengths and not others. The computer could correct the images so things have some normalcy to them when looking at the screens and for navigating.
Exotic particles could move faster. One might be seeing by gravitational waves, or some quantum effect.

For faster than light travel, I prefer digging a hole in the fabric of the universe and then traveling in another dimension to the destination.

The main reason that any kind of faster than light travel is needed, is for things to happen on two or more different planets within a person's life time.
Generational ships don't make for the same person being alive when they reach the new world.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't relativity say that if two things are stationary with respect to each other, it doesn't matter how fast they're going, they are going to look to each other as if they are stopped?

Once you can go faster than the speed of light, of course, there's no limit to how fast you can go, so the chances of two FTL objects matching speeds and directions exactly would be almost infinitesmal, I'd think.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several things in play here. First, the meaning of "faster than light" would suggest darkness. There are theories that various parts of the electromagnetic spectrum travel at different speeds, but for all intents and purposes the speed of light is a constant. However, it can be "slowed" by diffusion. Matter breaks down and becomes pure energy at light speed. Not seeing anything would be the least of someone's worries.

Second, we have recently discovered that light is not the speed limit of the universe. We have found that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, which has the entire scientific community wringing their hands. So faster than the speed of light is apparently possible, but I couldn't imagine anyone surviving it unless their was something on the other end to reform the energy into matter, such as a transporter from Star Trek.

Third, warp technology (folding space and traveling at sublight speeds) and wormhole technology (creating tunnels connecting folds in space) are two ways science fiction gets around the problems with the speed of light. Interdimensional travel is another. Two ships traveling on the same warp wave should be able to see each other if they are generating a warp field together but not if they were chasing each other, because folded space would be three (possibly four) dimensional.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally find these kind of thought experiments fascinating.

For example, imagine that you can, in fact, travel through normal time/space above the speed of light, and the light from your pair of ships travels at a fixed velocity. Consider that this light may then describe a cone - a 'light' shockwave inside which your ship can be seen, outside which it cannot - observers behind you can see your ship (with some artifacts of its motion) but observers ahead cannot.

The light cones don't intersect in the present - you can't see the ship next to you now.

Because you're travelling faster than light, the neighbour's light cone cannot catch you and you can't see them in the past either (which is what you can do with stars, let's say).

But, I wonder, can you see the neighbour's light cone in the future? For example, if you are one light-second away, do you in fact see their ship ahead of you, one second in the future? Could you build a technology around this, firing a probe ahead of a ship, and then following the probe in its wake, monitoring the probe's progress to counter events before they've happened?

Yes, it ignores some physics conventions, but isn't that half of the fun of speculation

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited May 05, 2009).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Omega   Email Omega         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, from my understanding, when going FTL, you would see the following happen. First off, everything would appear increasingly more massive as you sped up. Second, everything would become blue because of the doppler shift. Then, finally, once you passed the speed of light, you would be in a sort of light tunnel where streaks of light would fly past you. Yes, you are still passing light that would never catch up to you, but there is light throughout a good protion of the universe so you would pass it and see it streak by. Chances are you couldn't look out the window though because it would be too bright. though, as someone said, you'd be pure energy so it'd be doubtful if you had any kind of ability to see anymore anyways
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Relativity states that matter cannot exceed the speed of light. Upon approaching that velocity the mass of matter increases towards infinity so that the energy needed to accelerate through the limit does so as well.
The expansion of the universe at a velocity exceeding the speed of light is not an indication that matter can ever do so (and sorry phil, the entire scientific community is not wringing their hands). The speed of light while remaining a universal constant has probably grown with the universe. In the first billionth of a second after the big bang, when the universe was smaller than your fist, the speed of light was probably a lot slower relative to its speed today (but not relative to the expanding universe itself).

As an adherent to relativity I would opt for space folding or wormholes rather than FTL. And in that case I would stay away from waving at each other through windows. Warp spaced should be an opportunity to describe something much less mundane.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just pause a moment and say something?

You guys rock. What a fun conversation!!!

(And special shout-out to Pat for giving the clearest and most amusing parenthetical explanation of relativistic effects of FTL travel that I've seen.)

I don't have anything to add to this conversation but a book recommendation. I'm reading a book right now called Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku (by way of a recommendation from @MaryRobinette, who interviewed him for a sf pub recently.) It's a rocking good read so far. I'm on the chapter about force fields. Yet to come are Invisibility, Phasers and Death Stars, Teleportation and a number of other fun bits that are frequent guests in my stories. I would recommend you check it out as it's written by a theoretical physicist as a way to explain what science there is currently for these crazy things we think of as sci-fi, and where he thinks we might be going.

He divides the book into Class I, II and III Impossibilities. Class I Impossibilities are things that are impossible today but don't violate known laws of physics. Class II are technologies that sit at the very edge of our understanding of the physical world. Class III are things that violate the known laws of physics, which he points out is a very small group of things (perpetual motion machines and precognition are in this section.)

I've only just started, but it's very interesting and very well-written, I highly recommend it if you're looking for some scientific ideas to jump off.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to thank you all for answering my question. I'll be away for awhile because of RL circumstances. But thanks, everyone.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited May 06, 2009).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

If the caracter is a techy (inventor, captain, crew, you had better have an explanation of how it works.

If, on the other hand, it is not key to the story.

You could have the character working in the cabin, and a friend comes back from the meeting where it was explained to the passengers.
"How was the meeting."
"They talked about plank theory, quarks, time differencials, phase shifts."
"I thought so." He opens a case.
"Did they use any english?
"No, just a few words here and there, and then not the way we use it."
"I do wish they would speak english when they explain these things rather than scientific. It would make understanding how this works, a lot easier."

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
One concept I'm fond of is the idea of an Alcubierre drive. The concept is similar to a warp bubble in Star Trek, in that the entire surrounding local area of a particular portion of spacetime is accelerated. The area in front of the "bubble" is contracted, while the area behind expanded. The ship therefore rides the bubble much like a surfer would a wave.

The ship, locally, is not moving. It's the local area of space that is moving and taking the ship with it. This bypasses some areas of relativity and solves problems like inertia. You would not feel the acceleration tug as your craft sped up because you are not moving.

Wikipedia has a very nice article about much of this theory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

I heard that one can travel light speed.
the atoms in all matter is moving in all directions at the same time.
They are all moving at the speed of light.
If you could get all those atoms to move in the exact same direction, at the same time, one can move at the speed of light.
I have no idea what the effects are. I am half thinking that everything would be in suspended animation until it comes to a stop.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
"the atoms in all matter is moving in all directions at the same time.
They are all moving at the speed of light."

Nope, they most definitely are not.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheyne, I stand corrected - with a little research, I now see that the entire scientific community are not wringing their hands. Instead, they are acting like they knew this all along. It appears, however, that most thought that inflation was slowing before Hubble proved them wrong. Apparently, models of the Big Bang have shown for a long while that the Universe originally expanded faster than the speed of light even though there was probably no light at the beginning. Most appear to be suggesting that the speed of light has likely remained constant or if anything it has possibly slowed. Thanks for pointing out that scientists have known for a while about FTL expansion, I have learned quite a bit from your prodding.

Regarding atoms, they can actually be sped up very very close to the speed of light, but their mass increases when they are. An electron's normal orbit is about 1% of the speed of light. Now our bodies are not only made of atoms, but also molecules. When molecule are sped up (as in boiling), they tend to fly apart (as in steam). Plus, since electrons orbit the nucleus of an atom, they could never be going in the same direction at the same time.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I would like to add something that is not directly related to the topic question. I have spent the last 3-4 hours reinvestigating the speed of light and the expansion of the universe. Fun, eh? Anyway, the question that kept popping up was how the speed of light could remain constant and independent of bodies in motion. The answer that everyone was giving sounded like something a parent would say to a child that kept asking why - "because that's just the way it is."

I found that answer unacceptable so I postulated my own reason. I am guessing this has been given before, but in this short amount of time I haven't seen it. So all you physics brainiacs out there let me know how this sounds, and let me down gently if this is common thought:

The faster you travel, whether on a planet or in a spaceship, the slower your personal experience of time is (it is relative). When you look out in space, whether up in the sky or out of your spaceship, everything appears to be speeding up due to your personal experience of time slowing (the faster you go, the slower your own time seems) versus the rest of the universe. Therefore the light actually catches you "faster" because you are experiencing slower time (the two negate each other, creating a constant speed of light). Inflation affects neither of these, but creates the red-shift.

This is very similar to gravity. The mass of an object increases its attraction (speed), but the greater the mass, the slower its acceleration (the two negate each other and so all objects fall at the same rate). Galileo proved this by dropping two objects of different masses from a great height and showing that they landed at the same time. 350 years later we proved it again on the moon with the famous feather and lead ball experiment.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the blanket statement that FTL is impossible. I would only believe that if we knew everything, but we don't. It feels like those scientist who used to say the world was flat and if you tried to sail around the world you'd fall off. All we really know is that at this time we don't think it can be done.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
everything appears to be speeding up due to your personal experience of time slowing

I personally find the animated example on wikipedia helpful in understanding this problem.

I find this comment interesting: The lightpulses that are emitted by the reds at a particular frequency as measured in red time are received at a lower frequency as measured by the detectors of the green fleet that measure against green time, and vice versa. ie, frequency (redshift, blueshift) is measured in and so dependent on the local time.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"how the speed of light could remain constant and independent of bodies in motion. The answer that everyone was giving sounded like something a parent would say to a child that kept asking why - "because that's just the way it is."

"A Briefer History of Time", by Hawking and Mlodinow, might help. It's more accessible than Hawking's original book and when I read it some while ago I thought I got it. But I can't explain it now, so if my children ever ask, I'll lend it to them.

(The only thing I remember is that the idea of curved space, which means more than four dimensions, helps to explain why the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's speed.)

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I concede the "probably not possible" on FTL...but it's the only way to get some people to some exotic location beyond our solar system and still be able to have some link to the rest of the universe. That's what I use it for---the worlds I usually write about are Earthlike-with-a-few-differences, and exist generally as places where the characters reside and the action takes place.

Slower-than-light travel is possible...but the problem is that reports will never get back to the home planet, and wherever they wind up, that'll be it. Time and distance will ensure it.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...but it's the only way to get some people to some exotic location beyond our solar system and still be able to have some link to the rest of the universe...

I have ideas that fulfill this without resorting to FTL travel--not that I am against using FTL--I'm not. It was just your statement that it was 'the only way'.

Absolutism is absolutely flawed.(my own quote!)

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I was talking "physically possible in the real world," and not "what somebody comes up with for plot contrivances."
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Sorry, but your comment suggested that you were talking about its use a plot device.

quote:
...but it's the only way to get some people to some exotic location beyond our solar system and still be able to have some link to the rest of the universe. That's what I use it for---the worlds I usually write about are Earthlike-with-a-few-differences...

Obviously FTL doesn't and will likely never exist...your comment seemed to suggest that it was the only way (in a story) to get people to some exotic location beyound our solar system.

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 07, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
If you set your frame of reference as one ship, then there is no relative motion between the two. If your light source was from one ship, you might be able to claim that due to the lack of relative motion, you could reflect light back and forth, effectively being able to "see" the other ship. Sort of like throwing a baseball between two cars that are driving at 400mph. Of course, the ball would encounter some air resistance and gravity, and light might encounter the same sort of resistance, causing the image to be slightly blurry.

Another idea: when a jet flies overhead faster than the speed of sound, you don't hear it until after it passes. Perhaps if you fly faster than the speed of light, you'll see some sort of afterimage?

With this sort of thing I'd rather not degenerate into debates over theoretical physics. It usually doesn't even matter, so long as it sounds good, all the characters believe it, and the physics remains the same throughout the story. So there's my two cents.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

The original question asked what is possible.

The question of what an audience might willingly believe in an SF story is quite a different one. While I know that FTL cannot be done using known physics, I'm quite happy to go on believing in Star Trek's Warp Drive and its anti-matter crystals, because it's a good yarn.

Interestingly, such stories have been acceptable to SF audiences despite Einstein publishing his theory of relativity at around the same time as SF's Golden Age, if not a little before. (So it's possible to persuade SF audiences to accept science they know is whacky.) I suspect that as more of us grok relativity, and more writers depict FTL in cliches of bright flashes and streaky stars, it becomes less acceptable.

For example, in contrast to Star Trek and Star Wars, we never see Firefly's Serenity entering or exiting FTL. She quickly traverses lightyears, but the writers don't explain how; all we know is that she has an engine, so we can enjoy the drama of the -- single, for heaven's sakes! -- engine failing, without the challenges of getting a modern audience to accept FTL, or some other complicated physics which doesn't move the story along and only risks confusion.

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited May 07, 2009).]

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
But didn't the opening to SERENITY show that it was all taking place in some kind of solar system and not at translight distances after all?

Or did I misunderstand the opening?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

You're right! I totally missed that it's all set on one solar system. I just assumed there could only be one inhabitable planet per system, a false assumption based on experience of just one system -- ours. I wonder what else I missed ...
skadder
Member # 6757

Aren't all the planets temperate, though. Or am I confusing a series with a film?

I doubt you'd get more than one planet with temperate weather in a system.

Rhaythe
Member # 7857

Planets in that system were terraformed over many years to become temperate, earth-like worlds.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

But surely with increasing distances from the sun the planets would get colder and colder as the sunlight became weaker and weaker.

You can't, I presume, terraform sunlight.

Rhaythe
Member # 7857

A la Wikipedia again (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Firefly_planets_and_moons):

In the show, they are also referred to simply, though somewhat less properly, as "worlds". During the short television run of the Firefly series, it was not made clear whether the planets and moons depicted were located in one planetary system or many (however, creator Joss Whedon, as well as all licensed products, confirm that there is no faster-than-light travel in the Firefly universe). The opening narration of the film makes it clear that the planets and moons are in one system with "dozens of planets and hundreds of moons." This is supported by production documents published in Serenity: The Official Visual Companion.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but you can modify he amount that hits to various levels in the atmosphere (mirrors, filters, gas composition, etc).

However the science was not Firefly's strong point, nor was it intended to be.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. The question was "Is it possible for two spaceships flying alongside each other at FTL speed to see each other through their windows?" The answer is that we can't know. Our understanding of physics doesn't support the possibility of mass moving at speeds at or greater than the speed of light. Based on our current knowledge of the relationships between speed and mass, all our projected data models behave asymptotically and break down. While there are various theories as to how such a thing might work, they are just that- theories. So the question really boils down to hypotheticals spun off of hypotheticals. There's no answer to that. If we force matter to behave contrary to our current physics model, how will that affect something we don't really know how to define in said model? It is therefore my opinion that there is no real way to answer this question, other than to choose one way or another, and come up with a reasonable explanation as to why or why not. My vote would be no- it seems to me the closest you could hope to get is perhaps an afterimage, for traveling faster than light would preclude the possibility that light would be fast enough to travel between the two ships.

-Fahrion Kryptov

Thus men, extending their inquiries beyond their capacities, and letting their thoughts wander into those depths where they can find no sure footing, it is no wonder that they raise questions and multiply disputes, which, never coming to any clear resolution, are proper only to continue and increase their doubts, and to confirm them at last in perfect scepticism. -John Locke

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Science isn't really the strongpoint of most of the SF I've enjoyed reading. It's usually correct---the works of Robert Silverberg come to my mind---but it's strictly a secondary consideration, below plot-character-setting.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard OSC say once that he doesn't write science fiction. He said what he writes is fantasy with science as the "magic."

And I submit that there are lots of so-called "science fiction" writers who do exactly the same thing.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.