Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Referencing movies in story text - proper formatting?

Author Topic: Referencing movies in story text - proper formatting?
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone point me to the proper reference for formatting of Movie titles inside story text?

Does it matter if the movie titles don't actually exist? (some of them do, but War With Alpha Centauri is my own made-up movie. )

Thanks!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Like the title of anything. Underlined in manuscript to represent italics in print.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Titles of books and movies and plays as Spaceman said.

I understand that titles of episodes of tv shows, short stories, and other parts of longer works should be set off with quotation marks, and that novellas get quotemarks unless they are published all by themselves in book form, then it's underlining to indicate italics.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always kept it straight by understanding certain media that is part of a collection is in quotation marks. While media that is larger in content and scope or that contains smaller pieces is in italics. Obviously, certain book and movie sequels do not fall under this rule, but it works for most other situations.

TV show - italics; TV episode - quotation marks
Newspaper/magazine - italics; article - quotation marks
Collection of stories - italics; short story - quotation marks.
Music album - italics; song - quotation marks.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited July 09, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago Manual of Style seems to concur with philocinemas.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alittleofeverything
Member # 8024

- posted      Profile for alittleofeverything   Email alittleofeverything         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to look it up, spaceman!
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.