Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Interesting sayings.

Author Topic: Interesting sayings.
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
My thought was to post sayings we thought were interesting.
Preferably, pertaining to writing, but not always.

for a start, is a saying I have in my signature that I use on many boards.

"if you write, you are a writer. If you are not talented, you will not get published as often, or at all" - Orson Scott Card.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

I got this out of a fortune cookie this weekend. I loved it.

GOOD WRITING

IS CLEAR THINKING,

MADE VISIBLE.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's been used to death, and I can't cite the source, but this:

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Edit: I figured I'd better dig up the source, but apparently nobody can agree one. W. C. Fields, Dorothy Parker, Steve Allen, Fred Allen, etc have all used it.

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited July 22, 2009).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heidi
Member # 8664

- posted      Profile for Heidi   Email Heidi         Edit/Delete Post 
I framed this one. It's hanging over my computer desk.

"All good novelists have bad memories."--Graham Green

I am still trying to figure out what it means.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"All good novelists have bad memories."--Graham Green

Maybe it means that good novelists aren't married to "what really happened" but are able to allow themselves to adjust what they "remember" so that it makes a better story.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
As for "interesting sayings," I memorized this a LONG time ago:

quote:
If you didn't think you could, I don't know why you did, because those who never try might not do any good in the first place.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?"

I got it from a Marx Brothers movie first...and I've freely adapted it in a couple of arguments over the years. (Generally without accreditation.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
"The man who writes about himself and his own time is the only man who writes about all people and all time." -George Bernard Shaw
Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Collin
Member # 8522

- posted      Profile for Collin   Email Collin         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this somewhere, but I can't quite place the source. Anyways here it is.....

"Keep your expectations low and all of your surprises will be pleasant ones"

I don't necessarily agree with this, but I thought it was an interesting way of looking at things.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

"People who blame others for their problems make my life miserable."
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure of the original source of this:

There's no use in being a moron if you can't show it off.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
"Moths are attracted to the flame of personality. So are vampires. Artists should take note and beware."--Lawrence Durrell, one of the Alexandria Tetralogy.

(If an in-universe writer said it, does it count?)

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone on this forum made me aware of this Groucho Marx quote. I'm laughing as I type...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

My father-in-law, who is a retired physiology professor, pointed out that one of the rules of biology also works in sociology:

"Success always attracts parasites."

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've posted THAT Groucho Marx quote a few times. Another good Groucho one is:

"Either this man's dead, or my watch has stopped."

One of my all-time favorites is the "code of honor" David Gemmell gave to all of his warriors:

"Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.
These things are for lesser men.
Protect the weak against the evil strong.
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.
Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender.
It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found."

And, as I've posted before:

"Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance." - Plato

"Plato was a bore." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal." - Leo Tolstoy

"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy." - Ernest Hemingway

"Hemingway was a jerk." - Harold Robbins

(Cracks me up every time.)

Politicians and diapers both need to be changed, and for the same reason! - Anonymous

"Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment and be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes." - Alexander Dumas, in The Count of Monte Cristo.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein <--This seems a brilliant piece of advice on characterization.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

There, of course, is the question.

Are you a human being,

or a human doing?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the speaker of my quote was Chico, not Groucho...it certainly wasn't Harpo.

How about: "Anybody seeing a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined." (attributed to Samuel Goldwyn.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved a bunch of these quotes.

This ones works for my writing

I'm trying to think but nothings happening

Curly Howard

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Goldwyn is also supposed to have said, "If you want to send a message, use Western Union." (Or somesuch--anyway, it applies to any kind of storytelling.)
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I got this one today out of The Week:

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. -- Truman Capote

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

When asked what he wrote today
Truman Capote said he wrote one word
It was the RIGHT WORD.

Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where this gem originated, but it is good advice.

-Never use a big word when a diminuitive one would suffice.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Never use a big word when a diminuitive one would suffice.

Am I the only one who finds this statement ironic.

diminuitive means small

suffice-do

Shouldn't the saying be, Never use a big word when a small one would do.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's the point - the statement is self-proving.

Kind of like another one I saw somewhere:

Eschew obfuscation.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Samuel Goldwyn said the one that would be on his tombstone would be "Include me out."
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shouldn't the saying be, Never use a big word when a small one would do.

MAP - ironic sarcasm

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
Well, that's the point - the statement is self-proving.

quote:
MAP - ironic sarcasm

Okay, I know I was an idiot. I get it. Next time I will try to think before a post.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

It's always good when people think before they post, no matter what the topic is.

Another instance of advice by bad example:

"Being so awkward in sentences, I never use dangling participles."

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Just saw this on a blog:

"Most bicycle accidents are caused by the nut that attaches the handlebars to the seat."

jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Good one.

That's like the IT telephone support saying..
"Hmm... sounds like you have an ID10T error..."

Only one person ever 'got it' while I was on the phone with them. Fortunately they thought it was funny...

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

How 'bout "All your base belong to us." Remember when that was all over the place?
Natej11
Member # 8547

Look up "all your base are belong to us" on youtube. Best song ever. Some of those quasi-English lines are pure awesomeness.

"For great justice, take off every Zig!"

NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
"What would you do if you knew you could not fail?" - (don't know who)

"Imagination is more powerful than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
"tow don't shell"-- e.j.stone.

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited July 30, 2009).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
why write 'policeman' when I get paid just as much for 'cop'.

mark twain

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

I cannot attribute this.

"How long should a piece of writing be?

"Long enough to tell the story."

rstegman
Member # 3233

I heard that someone tried that Monkeys-on-typwriter bit, trying for the plays of W. Shakespeare, but all they got was the collected works of Francis Bacon. - Bill Hirst.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

From some rock trivia book whose title escapes me: "The more radical a cause, the more likely a celebrity is devoted to it. Do you know anybody who's for world hunger?"
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Made this one up.................

You can judge your own character by how you handle a stop sign when no one else is in sight.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.