Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » OSC's Boot Camp (the 2-day version)

Author Topic: OSC's Boot Camp (the 2-day version)
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently attended OSC's two-day boot camp. Here are some near quotes of the things he said:

"Learning point of view is the most important part of writing." - OSC indicated he felt 3rd limited (strict over the shoulder) was the strongest POV.

"The narrator needs to stay invisible."

"Don't worry about editing while writing." Then he later said, "Write every story as if it's the final draft." - I believe he was suggesting a "write then edit" style. He ended this part by saying, "If you have to write a second draft, just rewrite the entire story."

"You've been taught 'show don't tell'...Ninety-nine percent of a story must be told."

"Don't worry about ending a sentence in a preposition." - He then went into a rant about how people try to apply rules of latin to English and why that doesn't work.

He strongly hates Elements of Style.

"Don't name important characters with the same first letter."

"Don't use italics unless there's no other way of expressing something."

"Don't use accent marks in names."

"The opening must represent the story. Promise the story you intend to deliver."

"Make the ending satisfying."

"Characterization is done through relationships."

"Causality is the mainstay of fiction...Everything has more than one cause."

"Writer's block is your subconscious mind telling you 'this sucks!'"

"Every character is the hero of his own story."

"Tag every character with the perspective of the point-of-view character." - Use the names the character would call them.

"Don't start with dreams."

"Don't flashback too early in the story. There should be twice as much story as there is of flashback."

"Avoid prologues, but if you must, make them fully developed scenes."

(Edited to change "1st limited" to "3rd limited".)

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 14, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting. Thank you.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
Read Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson for more on the 'strict rules of latin' thing.

Just read it anyway. It's great.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
posulliv
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for posulliv   Email posulliv         Edit/Delete Post 
philocinemas:

quote:
1st limited (strict over the shoulder) was the strongest POV.

Do you mean 3rd person limited?

Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think that should be 3rd person. OSC is very much an advocate of 3PL.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh! philocinemas is starting to exhibit the absentmindedness of a dedicated writer engaged in deep thinking.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, sorry, I meant 3rd limited.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 

I love it!

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He strongly hates Elements of Style.

Yay! Every time I see this book on a recommendation list for writers, I cringe. The rules in the book are awful for fiction and debatable for non-fiction.

The writer's block quote is great, and so very true... Did OSC say what to do with the sucky piece? Start from scratch? Show it to someone and ask for what they think is wrong?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

OSC commented that successful writers aren't afraid to throw out what doesn't work and start over or start something new.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought Writer's Block was more of a "I failed to develop this enough" than "this sucks."

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited August 18, 2009).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
He distinguished between two different types of writer's block - the "I haven't developed this enough" one is when you're literally stuck and don't know where to go next. Then you world-build, develop characters, etc. to get over that hurdle.

The "this sucks" is when you've just lost interest in writing the story. Then you re-read through what you've already done, and the moment you find your attention wandering you've discovered the moment where your story started "sucking." So chuck out everything after that moment and start trying to recapture the energy and excitement of the story from there.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Thanks for clarifying Kitti. Sometimes my notes aren't as extensive as I'd like. How was the rest of the Boot Camp?
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily I am a note-taking fanatic. I ended up with about 20+ pages of notes by the end :-)

I haven't raved about the boot camp experience here, mostly because I think other people have done it well enough already, but it was awesome. Worth every penny and then some.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Wanted to thank you for posting that, philocinemas. It really made me attack my current WIP from a different perspective to see what it was that was holding me up.

That, and the chief of police of a local district told me some of my ideas were crap. But mostly that quote.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.