Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Too Stupid to Live (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Too Stupid to Live
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, if synopses are provided with novel segments (which is highly recommended), such questions would be less likely to arise.

Ack! Horror! Not another synopsis. I haven't killed the first one, yet. They're monsters, I tell you.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't take my comments too seriously (or anyone else's)
I was delighted by extrinsic's post. I thought it was a clever demonstration of the difference between "author self indulgence and audience interest".

I thought the joke was obvious.
Clearly I was wrong.

However, KDW, where does the boundary lies between "author self indulgence and audience interest"?
At what point does the deployment of an esoteric vocabulary serve to resist the admission of 'outsiders'?

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited September 02, 2009).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
However, I am interested in what evidentiary process extrinsic employed in order to come to the belief that I was criticising his vocabulary.

How did he come to that understanding?

Obviously, he (and perhaps others) began with an assumption.
What was the assumption?

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Merlion, no one in this thread has read the stories in question. Yet I don't see you objecting to anyone else's authority to comment. Reading back through the thread, I see that, in one way or another, most of the comments have been very similar to mine. I have no grievances with you, and this was not an airing of them, since they don't exist. I was actually only trying to help. I won't comment further, since I have offended you.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read what I believe is the story that instigated the topic and others that I haven't commented on.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought after the head exploding the jokes had started flying both ways.

I laughed.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

thanks, genevive42
glad I was not the only one.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, you are not the only one who has commented on extrinsic's posts.

It's similar to when a person has heard something too many times (for example, the same old joke about a person's name). It doesn't mean the latest one is necessarily unkind, but it is just one comment too many.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

Oh, okay.
Perhaps, that was the assumption.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Among other things, I've been razzed about my vocabulary since my teens when I switched from private to public schools. For many years and more recently, my vocabulary skills have served me well in my work as editor.

In a different vein, and somewhat related to story, empathy in particular, my vocabulary is a consequence of being widely read. Reading is the one constant, unspoiled satisfaction in my life. Reading more than anything else makes my life worth living. Reading provides a good deal of my intellectual stimulation, without which I'd probably be extremely depressed by my circumstances. However, intellectual stimulation is a double edged curse. Like an addictive drug, the more I intake, the more I want, the greater the stimulation I want. Suffice it to say, the circumstances that drive my ravenous intellectual stimulation cravings are further exacerbated by that pursuit.

No matter how well-intended someone's razzing is, it only serves to remind me of my human frailties and shortcomings. Empathy, feel my pain. I'm not a cold fish, no, I feel too much. I'm an empath who feels other people's pains too deeply. My ready withdrawal from nominative normal social activities is partly caused by feeling so deeply.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
extrinsic, your posts have been some of the most insightful and informative I've seen. You have a wonderful gift. Try not to let what others think ruin it for you.

Just trying to help.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

I'm not thin skinned in any sense of the term, more like the hide of a white elephant, impenetrably thick but overly sensitive to daylight. I'm just weary of a world where the slings and arrows of discord are of more entertainment value than meaningful compassion and understanding.

I've read the story that the "too stupid to live" comment was addressed to, read the comments it received at the forum were it was first offered for commentary, the responses to the comments, the responses to the responses to the comments, and so on. I've studied the publication that accepted it as is, with editorial changes that I've not evaluated. I've examined the writing of some of the staff of the publication and the parent publication outfit, excerpts from their published works and critical reviews of their works. In my estimation, the story is a perfect fit for the publication. I'll post no other value judgements besides everyone who's entering the publishing rat race has to start somewhere, writers, publishers, screening readers, and editors. The Internet has opened up a gateway of possibilities for emerging artists that's only beginning to be realized. Congratulations, Merlion-Emerys.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited September 02, 2009).]

Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

congratulations merlion.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic:
I actually enjoy your vocabulary, extrinsic, though I do not believe I have ever commented on it either way. I often try to dissect your more difficult-to-understand responses (when I have time). I have read quite a bit of German translated into English in college and in graduate classes, and your use of vocabulary is very similar to those pieces.

On topic (sort of, I hope):
Merlion, I feel that people (even/especially when they are critiquing) very seldom say what they mean or mean what they say. What makes writing so difficult is that expressing oneself in a way to convey all the history, emotions, intentions, beliefs, etc. is in itself very difficult. Whether one is writing fiction, where the writing serves to entertain, or nonfiction, where the writing serves to instruct, the writer is burdened by his/her desire for a certain affect and not finding the best means of accomplishing it. It is ultimately our inability to convey our thoughts that causes undesired responses.

I feel, as you do, that too much of the critiques fall into the realm of personal preference. However, it is very difficult for one to separate themselves from what they like or dislike and to consider the greater populace - this is what editor's are supposed to do. I am beginning to believe that the higher tier editors are doing this to some degree (though my peronal preferences are sometimes trampled upon).

I do not believe a character can be too stupid to live. I do not believe that curiosity cannot be a motive (to use a double negative appropriately). And I do not believe "a character is an island", which means that for a critiquer to give a blanket statement as to why they do not believe a character or story is a shortfall of the critiquer. I would suggest there are many reasons they did not believe your character, but they expressed this inadequately. Consider this: any character with any intent can be believed in the right circumstances. I believe this to be true. The difficulty is in getting there.

I struggle constantly with "getting there", and nothing makes me more frustrated. However, I am beginning to approach writing with this mantra: Successful writing is about imparting to the reader everything that was intended by the writer.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reading and deconstructing epistemic intertextual metanarratives happens to be one of my favorite pastimes.

I always show up too late for these colorful conversations. Consequentially, the publication in question has a distinct characteristic as a medium for a legitimate appraisal of fictional narratives. It is their sincere expression and candidness that draws writers to them. I myself have subjected my own prose to their bards. Truthfully, you learn more about your writing with harsh frankness than with critiquers that tip-toe their comments around bad prose in an effort to spare an authors feelings. Baens slush is not a place for people with thin skin. Writers beware.
quote:
Not a few of those "pro-level" screening readers also misuse conventional writing terms or invent terminology out of whole cloth or borrow terms from another discipline that serves more to confuse rather than inform and that contributes little, if any, pertinent meaning to a writing discussion. Myself, when a commenter is responding from aesthetic hunches and missing making a solid point, I have to work too hard to understand what's being said.

Ouch. If I am not mistaken, I believe you called a few of them writers/slush readers clueless who throw out comments hoping they stick to the wall in an effort to mask their own deficiencies. Maybe, but the writing is bit better than other critque sites I have navigated. I learn by critiquing those better than average amateurs, the crits can be more entertaining than the stories sometimes.
quote:
When I diagnose a story's deficiencies, I begin with an aesthetic hunch and then determine what's causing my discomfort. Often, it's a lack of empathic reader resonance from overlooking reader immersion methods.

I believe I have received a few critiques from your alter-ego, extrinsic (at least I am considerably certain it is you). I found some of them funny.

I am curious about that editor role you performed. May I ask in what capacity your task was in that function?

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 03, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Is, I am an editor, make my living as a freelance editor. Today's queue was 500 pages of light copyediting, 1500 pages since Sunday. Bread and butter work. I've published as an editor. Monday, I also proposed a new creative writing project by a novelist for developmental editing.

I'm not calling any of them there clueless. They and myself and all other discerning critiquers in my experience initially respond to a story intuitively based on aesthetic hunches. Like in all my experiences in writing workshops, whenever and wherever, critiquing is a function of feeling how a reader responds to a story. That hunch can lead to a diagnosis.

From there, though, the ability to express deficiencies' causes and fixes doesn't follow on as much as I think is beneficial. What does "What's the point?" mean? Of what benefit is such a question to a struggling writer? What about asking a more pointed and targeted question? Like, what's the message the story is trying to convey?

From appreciating a lack of a clear message, then an obvious to me diagnosis is limited development of theme and tone. From there, then, a fix is to reexamine a narrative point of view for whether an objective toned narrator is the best vehicle for telling the story, or would a subjective tone carry more meaning and drama.

Theme, a common deficiency in my experience, start with what's the conflict and what slant on a theme a story's trying to depict. Start with a basic conflict, good and evil, for example, which is a relative perception, but that conflict ought not to be ambiguous or be narrated by an ambivalent narrator. Maybe a first person narrator, maybe a subjective, condemning third person narrator, or maybe a focal character's point of view takes up the tone slack.

Narrow down the conflict, the good of personal anarchy opposed by a totalitarian theocracy. Narrow it down more, make it a personal conflict, a desire for independence from the strictures of a religiously oppressive community. The conflict, be a part of society or apart from it. The theme then might be a man is not an island. The message, perhaps, a man can live in solitude but not entirely alone.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited September 03, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Freelance editor? Is it your job to comb out the grammatical and spelling pests that infest a script? If so, I apologize if any of my work graces your desk in the future.
quote:
I'm not calling any of them there clueless.

I love reading between your lines. I used to skim through your posts. Lately I’ve been looking at them really close. It’s almost like watching a child mess with ants. The ants never are aware they are being toyed with but the child still enjoys altering their world; throwing objects in their path, moving a few away from their scented trail, dumping water on their mound. The ants carry on but the child feels like a god for a brief moment in time.
You are a bit of an enigma, extrinsic. It’s like noticing something odd about that freelance photographer working for the Daily Bugle.
quote:
No matter how well-intended someone's razzing is, it only serves to remind me of my human frailties and shortcomings. Empathy, feel my pain. I'm not a cold fish, no, I feel too much. I'm an empath who feels other people's pains too deeply. My ready withdrawal from nominative normal social activities is partly caused by feeling so deeply.

See? Very Peter Parker-ish.
quote:
I've published as an editor

Do you mean that you have been published as a writer while as an editor or things you have edited have been published? Like Stanley Schmidt, for example. Either way, I would like to know more. Fill me in. send me a link or something, please.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm, this really is getting off topic.

I think snapper isn't the only one interested in learning more about extrinsic. Perhaps extrinsic's topic in the Next, Please Introduce Yourself area might be a better place for such a discussion.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Project editor, 50th Anniversary Edition The Hatterasman, 2008 UNCW, first edition published 1958, John F. Blair, Publisher.

http://www.uncwil.edu/writers/PubLab/book/publishing_the_hatterasman.html

I've also worked as editor for a local tabloid format weekly newspaper, plus a few other projects in my editing career.

One of these days, when I have the resources in place and am emotionally prepared for the onslaught, I might publish an anthology or two and maybe even a paper/digital digest.

snapper
Member # 7299

Very nice. Inpressive reviews. Thanks for that.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I feel, as you do, that too much of the critiques fall into the realm of personal preference. However, it is very difficult for one to separate themselves from what they like or dislike and to consider the greater populace - this is what editor's are supposed to do. I am beginning to believe that the higher tier editors are doing this to some degree (though my peronal preferences are sometimes trampled upon).

Giving really good critiques does involve walking a very fine line because on one end you've got the "too much personal preference" end where the critique sounds like a movie review but on the other end you've got those that feel fully qualified to objectively speak for "readers" in general and for the desires of all editors, which doesn't come off well either.

When I critique I try, especially with points I'm unsure of to present both my personal view "this is what I think, this is how I'd do it" and a more general thing based on what I've heard from other readers "However, judging from what I've seen of current trends with this type of story" etc, and I also tend to state that I'm basing what I say on what I can derive of their intent, but I realize I may not be understanding what their trying to do.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jezzahardin
Member # 8782

- posted      Profile for jezzahardin   Email jezzahardin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Giving really good critiques does involve walking a very fine line because on one end you've got the "too much personal preference" end where the critique sounds like a movie review but on the other end you've got those that feel fully qualified to objectively speak for "readers" in general and for the desires of all editors, which doesn't come off well either.

When I critique I try, especially with points I'm unsure of to present both my personal view "this is what I think, this is how I'd do it" and a more general thing based on what I've heard from other readers "However, judging from what I've seen of current trends with this type of story" etc, and I also tend to state that I'm basing what I say on what I can derive of their intent, but I realize I may not be understanding what their trying to do.

I'm obviously new here, so I'm finding my own critique-legs. But so far I try to steer clear of Voice critiques and stick to the basics of what is technically good writing. Avoiding passive voice, -ly adverbs, showing vs. telling, and so on.

I don't really trust myself to say how I would fix a segment, though, because I tend to add my own Voice in doing that.

Genre specific critiques haven't come up yet with me, so I don't know how I tend to tackle those.

[This message has been edited by jezzahardin (edited September 09, 2009).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm obviously new here, so I'm finding my own critique-legs. But so far I try to steer clear of Voice critiques and stick to the basics of what is technically good writing. Avoiding passive voice, -ly adverbs, showing vs. telling, and so on.

I just personally consider it a good idea to keep an open mind even with these things and remember that they as well can be subjective. Many of them (such as show/tell) I see as simply different tools, although you'll find a lot of people consider one inherently superior to the other.

I'm curious though...what do you mean by voice critiques? The things you mention I would consider to fall under the catagory of "voice" but thats just me.

quote:
Genre specific critiques haven't come up yet with me, so I don't know how I tend to tackle those

For me its not even as much a thing of genres as of specific stories. I believe strongly that critiques should be focused on improving a story as what it is, but some due to (generally well intentioned) issues of personal taste or views of editorial preference some times give critiques that involve essentially instructions on how to make it into something else (at least in my view.) Or, as with this "too stupid to live" subject, classify whole concepts or structures as inherently and inalienably "weak."

When critiqueing I prefer to either ask or try to determine the authors intentions with the story, and critique it in that context whenever possible, since in my view the "rules" we hear so much about are actually just more tools in our storytelling utility belt.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jezzahardin
Member # 8782

- posted      Profile for jezzahardin   Email jezzahardin         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive my ambiguity. I did not mean voice as in active/passive. I meant Voice, as in the author's unique style. As in, why I pick up a new book, 9 times out of 10.

Regarding show vs. tell and the others, I think it's generally accepted that they are rules. And that all rules need breaking from time to time. But if every sentence is telling, I'm done reading unless the author has an AMAZING Voice.

As for keeping an open mind and considering author intent...I'm sceptical. I can't imagine the slush pile reader has the luxury of an open mind, or the time to ask the author what they meant. So am I really helping if I do those things?

(If I've gone off the rails critiquing, I hope someone will correct me, though. I can be...zealous.)

As to the original topic, too stupid to live, I think there isn't a general answer. If it works in that particular story, then it's right. If it doesn't, it's wrong.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:
Forgive my ambiguity. I did not mean voice as in active/passive. I meant Voice, as in the author's unique style. As in, why I pick up a new book, 9 times out of 10

Thats more or less what I thought you meant.

quote:
Regarding show vs. tell and the others, I think it's generally accepted that they are rules. And that all rules need breaking from time to time.

To me, "rules" that need semi-regular breaking aren't rules, they are at most guidlines. They are things you do most of the time, but that have frequent situations in which you do differently. And so, to me, they are really just tools. Showing/telling for instance...all writing is, in truth, telling. Its declaritive versus descriptive...some things should be described (objects, settings, creatures, actions) other things often should be or even must be told at least partially be it in narrative or dialogue (thoughts and emotions spring to mind although emotions especially can be done both ways, and which is "better" is pretty much a matter of taste.

KDW posted an article recently about "Stages of a Writer" by an apparently successful author (though one I'm unfamiliar with) who seemed to feel that learning to not be trapped in the "rules"...and in fact to basically make your own is a big part of a writers advancement.

quote:
But if every sentence is telling, I'm done reading unless the author has an AMAZING Voice.

I feel that many of the things some call "rules" are often basically choices of style (voice) in the end. You don't like telling (or what you percieve as telling.) Thats totally fine. I, on the other hand, generally have no problem with it in certain types of stories or certain writing styles.

I feel what we're writing should determine what "rules" we use not the other way around.

quote:
As for keeping an open mind and considering author intent...I'm sceptical. I can't imagine the slush pile reader has the luxury of an open mind, or the time to ask the author what they meant. So am I really helping if I do those things?

Ok, two things here. One, putting true total basics (spelling, basic grammar, punctuation) aside storytelling is inherently subjective and based on taste. A story that the slush readers of one magazine may hate may be loved by those of another, because different publications publish different types and styles of stories. For instance, many publications right now (like F&SF) are big on heavily character-driven drama type stories but then there are others (like Black Gate or Flashing Swords) that prefer plot-driven adventure stories and still others (like Fantasy Magazine) that publish things that don't even seem to really have plots or make any sense (at least to me.)

Thats why when you critique, you critique for the story type as best you can. If a story is meant to be a plot driven Sword and Sorcerery adventure you don't tell the author that they need to make it more character driven and spend lots of time and energy on deep emotional motivations and the like, nor if its a character-driven drama do you criticise it for not having enough action (these are just examples or generalizations obviously.)

Second thing on that. I realize that here the common wisdom is you won't be able to talk to an editor so why talk to a critiquer but to be honest that seems extremely bizzare to me. It seems to me the very reason we offer stories up to other writers is so we can get opinions from people that we CAN talk to, in order to try and perfect them for those that we won't be able to (generally what happens is you'll form a group of trusted critters and discuss things with them via email. Its extremely helpful.)

quote:
As to the original topic, too stupid to live, I think there isn't a general answer. If it works in that particular story, then it's right. If it doesn't, it's wrong.

This is basically my whole point in a nutshell, I just believe it applies to EVERYTHING including the "rules." The STORY is first.

quote:
(If I've gone off the rails critiquing, I hope someone will correct me, though. I can be...zealous.)

Not at all...I enjoy this sort of discussion very much...I wish more of it went on here in the civil respectful manner we're maintaining right now.

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited September 09, 2009).]

rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thats why when you critique, you critique for the story type as best you can. If a story is meant to be a plot driven Sword and Sorcerery adventure you don't tell the author that they need to make it more character driven and spend lots of time and energy on deep emotional motivations and the like, nor if its a character-driven drama do you criticise it for not having enough action (these are just examples or generalizations obviously.)

I disagree. Doesn't matter to me, as a critic, whether it's supposed to be a plot-driven piece, or a character-driven piece. I don't know what the author's intentions are so I'm going to go with what's on the page. Even if you were to tell me that it's a plot-driven piece so don't worry about telling me about characterization, I'm going to ignore that. All I have is what's on the page, and if you can't tell me what the story is about, or what it isn't about, without a note before the story telling me what you're trying to accomplish then it's a rigged game. It's unfair to the critic, and definitely unfair to the writer.

quote:
Second thing on that. I realize that here the common wisdom is you won't be able to talk to an editor so why talk to a critiquer but to be honest that seems extremely bizzare to me. It seems to me the very reason we offer stories up to other writers is so we can get opinions from people that we CAN talk to, in order to try and perfect them for those that we won't be able to (generally what happens is you'll form a group of trusted critters and discuss things with them via email. Its extremely helpful.)

The point is not that you CAN'T talk to the critic, but that you can't defend what you wrote to the critic. There's a difference. You can ask the critic to explain why such and such didn't work for him/her, or get the critic to expand on his/her criticisms, but it's unfair to you as a writer (and to the critic) to issue a rebuttal, point by point. It doesn't help you by doing that.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, howdy, I had to slog through a lot to get back to the topic!

Too stupid to live people abound; too frequently they are us! My first thought was 'unmarried sex'. People do this and then act so shocked when one of the natural consequences occur. It is the whole assumption thing. We make an assumption, in the case of unmarried sex, it is that birth control WILL work, condoms WILL keep us safe from disease, and somehow we can take this (or these) particular relationship(s) to the most intimate level and yet somehow no one will end up hurt... All this in spite of clear evidence all around that.. frequently we fail our birth control, frequently it fails us... condoms are only good up to a point and sometimes they break and hearts get broken almost in every relationship of this type which ends in other than marital bliss.

(I have had a LOT of teens pass through my house! This is a syndrome!) In our culture there is a general set of assumptions about sex which most every kid buys into (our biology makes us want it to be true). Things like: We have a right to indulge without the natural consequences. Boys do; girls should be able to as well. Waiting is old fashioned. How do you know you aren't gay? How do you know you are suitable in that way? I am just getting ready for my wife/husband by doing this with someone else first. Etc., etc.

Well, there are other cultures/other subculturesn and other sets of assumptions. Which we persist on believing even with the evidence in front of us.

There are other things, too. Many times we want a thing to be true so badly that we behave as if it is true. (Idealists) On the other hand sometimes we are so afraid something is true that we just assume that it is and get the anguish over with. (defeatists)

So I don't think it is that big of a stretch. A nominally intelligent person is at least as capable of making a dumb mistake as someone who is just working with low wattage. Sometimes even more so, I think. Smart people, imo, tend to get drawn off into theoretical realms so much that they flat ignore the evidence in front of them contradicting it.

Thanks for the topic. This is something I do think about a lot. (Why did they do that? Who would say that? What was *I* thinking?) The truth is we want to make decisions from 'smart' but it is almost never that simple.

Oh, and congratulations!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.