Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Short stories vs. novels

Author Topic: Short stories vs. novels
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Merlion's thread about submitting got me thinking, but rather than hijack his thread, I decided to start a new one.

Merlion said:

quote:
...I've always had the idea since before I started writing that writers generally start with short stories and then (for those who want to) move on to novels as well, and that most writers publish short stories well before and often as part of garnering a reputation to help getting a novel published.

From the agent blogs that I stalk, I've read that to publish a novel one has to write a really great, marketable novel (easier said than done), and that short story publications might give you a slight edge on partial requests. But in the end, it is all about the novel.

I would think that writing a short story is considerably different than writing a novel; thus, my approach is to concentrate on novel writing with the hopes of getting really good at it.

Now I am not trying to start a debate on which is the better path to take in becoming a published novelist but more about which path makes you a better novelist.

Do you guys who write short stories, hoping one day to publish a novel, feel that writing short stories has benefited you more than writing "practice" novels? If so, what lessons on writing can be learned from writing short stories that would be harder to learn from writing novels?

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
The one piece of advice that has always stuck in my mind was written by George RR Martin. I read this a couple of year ago and this was the reason I started writing shorts:

Given the realities of today's market in science fiction and fantasy, I would also suggest that any aspiring writer begin with short stories. These days, I meet far too many young writers who try to start off with a novel right off, or a trilogy, or even a nine-book series. That's like starting in at rock climbing by tackling Mt. Everest. Short stories help you learn your craft. They are a good place for you to make the mistakes that every beginning writer is going to make. And they are still the best way for a young writer to break in, since the magazines are always hungry for short SF and fantasy stories. Once you've been selling short stories for five years or so, you'll have built up a name for yourself, and editors will start asking you about that first novel.

[This message has been edited by monstewer (edited October 25, 2009).]

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, I keep trying from time to time to write short stories because they're hard for me. It's like exercising against resistance; it's got to make the writing muscles stronger in general.

But, for some reason, most of my short stories either turn to mush or they turn into novellas. Some of them turn into novellas and then turn to mush. If I get one or two that may be publishable, I'll be happy. But I'll continue to work on it.

I don't have that problem with a novel-length plot. I haven't figured out why I have so much more trouble sustaining a short plot than a long one. Logically, you'd think it would be the other way around. But that just seems to be the way it works for me.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Up till relatively recently most of the stuff I turned out was in the five-thousand-and-under length, and I had trouble keeping things going long enough to make up the length a novel was supposed to be (seventy thousand words, when I started out)...but of late, say the last four or five years, my stuff runs ten-thousand-and-up, with one unfinished thing going all the way to the hundred thousand mark.

Did I "learn my craft?" I'm not sure...nothing much more happens in my stories at twenty thousand words than happened at five thousand...maybe I've done more development of this or that...well, they didn't sell at either length, so I can't say what's up with them.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I originally got into this by trying to write a novel. The novel is about 1/4 to 1/5 of the way done and has a little over 16,000 words in it (it is mostly complete in the form of a screenplay). I am not currently writing on it, and I have not been writing on it for about a year.

This was a difficult decision for me - I feel that it is a very compelling story. However, there was several reasons why I switched to short stories:

1. Visibility - I was always concerned about finishing the novel and not finding a publisher - I see this happening a lot. I do not like the idea of spending all of my time laboring on something that would never be published. I have heard over and over again by just about every prominent writer that short stories, especially in genre fiction, are the best way to become visible to publishers.

2. Time - I mentioned this above, but it is also deserves its own space. My time is very limited, and novels take more time. This goes hand in hand with the next reason.

3. Accomplishment - Writing short stories gives me a sense of accomplishment. This is the first time I have ever finished a story, except for some little skits I wrote while in college. It is very satisfying reading something I have written from beginning to end.

4. Experience - Short stories have given me a grasp of the entire process. Writing, editing, revising, editing, submitting (for me add more revising, editing, and submitting, but let's not get on that subject). Completing a story and knowing how to refine it is a very difficult task, and I believe experience makes one better at doing it.

5. Learning - *THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON* - I could go on forever on this subject, so I will try to be relatively brief. My goal in writing short stories is to become a better writer. I have gained a better awareness of POV and many other things, such as "show, don't tell", from writing short stories. I already had a fair knowledge of grammar, but short stories are also a good place to learn that discipline (a much needed one).
I have participated in every First 13 Challenge available, since I have been here, for this reason. Winning, although it was nice the one time I won, has not been my reason for doing this. I have tried to experiment with different ways of hooking readers. These challenges have made me think (hard), and I am better for it.
The one thing I have noticed is the difficulty of many writers to sustain a story throughout the process. I have seen some amazing first 13's and the story be almost incomprehensible. And I have seen some great stories where the ending was like an old soldier (they just fade away). Now, I am not saying I have arrived by any means - I'm not even published (YET). But there is an art to be learned by sustaining a story all the way through from beginning to end - short stories are a good place to learn that and many other things.

It seems that I had other reasons, but I got so caught up with the learning aspect of short stories that the other reasons now elude me. I'll post later if I remember.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I remember:

6. Critiques - It is much easier to get in-depth critiques for short stories, than for novels. although I get easily frustrated with the critiquing process, I believe it is essential for becoming a better writer. The more in depth (and reliable) the critique, the easier it is to make improvements in one's writing.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I am an old guy, I just don't have five or ten years to let things gestate. I had an old novel that I polished up (to my mind polished up) and sent out in February to agents. I dabbled in shorts for a month or so and began to write my next novel.

I realized that there was no way for me to figure out how to write properly working the time scale that novels required. So I turned to short stories to learn the craft. I can say that my writing has improved (although one can get some brutal responses to submissions )

A beginning writer needs to experiment with point of view and structure and develop a writing style. Shorts do that. When I began last February, I couldn't carry on a conversation about any of those things. Now I can.

There is a lot left to learn, but I would always recommend writing short stories first. Without a lot of good feedback, I don't know how someone can write a super first novel without being grounded in what makes a good story and how to present it.

Having said that, I will admit I enjoy writing novel length better than short story length. I've written a novel (first draft) since I started and will participate in NaNoWriMo to start another. But as I write, I go over in my mind technique and story structure that I never knew existed.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited October 25, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading an author saying you havent truly learned the craft until you have written a million words. I figure short story or novel- It is all good practice to get me to my voice and style.

Does this forum post count towards my word count...

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry about the brutal responses, Owasm. Actually, I think that's another good reason to write shorts first: to get used to the inevitable rejections.
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
What short stories give is the opportunity to create complete stories in relatively little time, so they give one practice in the form and the basic elements, as well as refinement of prose skills. So there is a logic to starting small and working bigger.

But I've also learned short stories and novels are different beasts, and each form has it's own specific elements that come with them and there's only so much you can draw from the other form (in both directions).

In general, I've always alternated between the forms, or worked them in parallel, as a function of what I felt a story dictated, so my experience is a hodge-podge making it hard to decipher what has contributed to what. In one sense it's all writing, and will all contribute to improvement at some level.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I think exposure and learning the craft are the number one reasons for writing short stories. In fact, I am planning on writing some short stories with my novel characters to establish a publishing history for them, (hopefully).

I have a finished novel that I thought was pretty good and I now realize it is more of a first draft. But I started to learn the things that told me that by writing short stories and getting feedback on them.

In one critique I received I was told that the pacing used might have been fine for a novel but I didn't have time for it in a short story. It was brilliant advice that made me tighten up my short story writing.

Sometimes in a novel I think it is necessary to be aware of short story techniques. They can help pick up the pace when you need it.

In general, I'd say that the more tools you have at your disposal the better. And when you're stuck in your novel it gives you a diversion that is still productive and creative. It's just another kind of practice.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I have noticed lacking in these responses is PASSION. I write because I feel driven to. Though it would be great to make it a profession, I'm not close at all to that. Instead, I write because it is what I want to do. I get passionate about a story and then feel this incessant itching in my brain until I get writing. (I am a very new writer, one "practice" novel to my name ("practice" because it is long enough, but not very good...)) Because I am new, I know that writing short stories is the easiest way to break into the field.

But what I WANT to write now is a novel. I have no passion for short stories (even the ones I have started are more like springboards to novels...) So I put my effort in what I feel I can stay motivated about. But I also know I'll have to delve into short stories soon. I'll have to do this for two reasons:

1) The practical aspects of past success publishing when approaching agents and editors, and short stories are easier to publish. This is the "I have to write short stories" aspect.

2) to learn the craft. As has been stated, short stories are harder (at least for me.) So forcing myself to write them will help me flex my literary muscles, so to speak. This is the "I want to write short stories" aspect.

[This message has been edited by Teraen (edited October 25, 2009).]

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Something I have noticed lacking in these responses is PASSION. I write because I feel driven to. Though it would be great to make it a profession, I'm not close at all to that. Instead, I write because it is what I want to do. I get passionate about a story and then feel this incessant itching in my brain until I get writing. (I am a very new writer, one "practice" novel to my name ("practice" because it is long enough, but not very good...)) Because I am new, I know that writing short stories is the easiest way to break into the field.

Oh, I think most of us feel passionate about writing. We couldn't keep it up if we didn't. I've had stories grab me by the scruff of the neck and refuse to let me go until they were written. My last novel, BLOOD WILL TELL was one. That's why the first draft got written so quickly. I literally couldn't do anything else. The original novella-length version of my current WIP, DREAMER'S ROSE, was another. And, though I've got some distance from it now, I still feel passionate about THE SHAMAN'S CURSE.

I guess that may be the difference for me. Shorter stories don't seem to generate that same passion. I like being immersed in a story in a way that rarely happens with a short story. Maybe that's why I find them so much more difficult to write or write well.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited October 25, 2009).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
Do you guys who write short stories, hoping one day to publish a novel, feel that writing short stories has benefited you more than writing "practice" novels? If so, what lessons on writing can be learned from writing short stories that would be harder to learn from writing novels?

I suppose I went off topic slightly in my previous post. The answer to the first question is "YES". I did touch on the answer to the second question in my initial answer, but to condense that response - experience in process, refining writing techniques, and receiving in-depth critiques.

Regarding PASSION: I believe one must have passion to write a good story. Here is the trick - creating passion. I spend quite a bit of time just thinking about a story (no pen, laptop, or paper). Sometimes I write little thoughts down to remember ideas, but for the most part I work the story out in my mind. I wait for a "eureka moment" (the climax and ending) before I move beyond the first 13 lines. I also like to have a title before I actually start writing. Then I just write the story from beginning to end. This is what gives me passion - it is like designing an amusement park ride. Reading critiques is like hearing feedback right after someone gets off the ride. Sometimes it makes you feel good, sometimes not (and you want to make little improvements). Writing a novel that no one will ever read, except my mother, has not given me that thrill, though I hope to make it the best ride I can some time in the future.

MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys make a good case for starting with short stories.

I am like Teraen in that I have no passion to write short stories. I started writing because I had a novel length story in me that just won't let go. I have been writing that story for over a year and learned a ton in the process.

I haven't read very many short stories only ones that were required reading in high school and college, but I have read countless novels.

I think that in reading all those novels that I have subconciously picked up on how a novel should be constructed. I certainly can feel when something isn't working, when a scene is too slow or anticlimatic. I know there are probably a million mistakes that I am making that I am not even aware of, but I do think that my reading and studying novels as helped me tremendously.

I think that the structure of a short story would differ considerably from a novel. I do realize there would be lots of overlap in learning the writing craft: POV, voice, realistic dialog, editing, etc. But a short story isn't a miniture novel, right? It would have different pacing, structure, and characterization. Am I wrong?

I think that if I were to start writing short stories (which you guys are making me consider), I would have to read and study a lot of short stories. It would be more work than simply starting to write short stories.

And even after, hopefully, I got good at writing short stories, there still would be more to learn when I went back to writing novels because short stories and novels are different. So is writing short stories really a faster path to learning to write fantastic novels?

I think the best arguments for writing short stories are #4 and #6 on Philocinemas list.

I have been writing for over a year without any feedback. It would be nice to have something polished enough for someone to critique, so I can be aware of the million of mistakes I know I am making but am too close to see.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited October 25, 2009).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed a huge improvement in my novel writing since I started doing flash challenges here at Hatrack. I notice the little things now:

how to say something in a few words that used to take pages

which parts of my writing actually drive the story and which parts are the 'ramblings of an idiot' (pardon the plagarism).

how to not force feed the reader too much information

and lots more, but my kids won't let me think.

Oh yeah--how to cut words like "a little" "that" and "just" that are unnecessary fillers

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Simply put, the story tells me how long it's going to be.

Forcing a story, as I've discovered, into a pre-determined length, is not a good way to let the story tell itself. I've had what I thought was going to be a short story ultimately end up expanding into a novel. I even came up with a story idea once which I was convinced would have multiple lengthy volumes, only to determine that it told itself much better in the form of a poem. Once I opened myself up to this sort of dynamic, I began saving an unbelievable amount of time by ceasing my hatchet editing and my filler writing escapades. Oh...and, the frustration level decreased dramatically, too.

Now, as it just so happens, all of the stories I'm currently working on, and all those I plan to work on next, are novel length. Anybody can read into this any subconscious translation they wish; the only fact that matters in the least is that I'm having a great time working on the stories I'm currently working on.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Philo, you hit the nail on the head and pounded it into wood with one mighty stroke. I know short stories are important, but how to CREATE the passion about it?

For me, unfortunately, all the creation of short story impetus has come from outside sources. A desire to get published so that a query letter for a novel has more punch, getting a position at the literary boot camp, etc...

For me, the hardest part is deciding what to say. Its hard to tell a whole story in less space than I am used to, and all my ideas are too big to fit. I lack that plotting aspect of short story storytelling. At risk of hijacking the thread, what is it that helps inspire a good short story?

I am pretty sure I could write one that wasn't too horrible if I had some outline of a plot.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Now, as it just so happens, all of the stories I'm currently working on, and all those I plan to work on next, are novel length. Anybody can read into this any subconscious translation they wish; the only fact that matters in the least is that I'm having a great time working on the stories I'm currently working on.

Absolutely! I just flashed on what dog agility competitors always ask, even when you come away with no ribbons. "But did you have fun?" That is the most important thing. And probably the only way to sustain the kind of passion required to keep writing despite the rejection slips.

quote:
For me, the hardest part is deciding what to say. Its hard to tell a whole story in less space than I am used to, and all my ideas are too big to fit. I lack that plotting aspect of short story storytelling. At risk of hijacking the thread, what is it that helps inspire a good short story?

I am pretty sure I could write one that wasn't too horrible if I had some outline of a plot.

Especially when I'm just trying out a short story for practice, not expecting it to go anywhere necessarily (although that would always be nice), I sometimes try deconstructing a fairy tale. Take out the elements that make it clearly that fairy tale. Add some color and spice to the characters. And just see what I can do with it. It's an exercise. But sometimes it can lead somewhere interesting.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Very few, if any, of the things you learn from writing (and ideally selling) short stories will NOT help you, in some way, when writing novels. There certainly are successful novelists who have never written or published shorts, so it is by no means necessary. There are a few short story writers who have never even contemplated writing a novel. But a lot of people do both, and can continue to do both (particularly within genre).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to work mostly at novel length, and one of the things I like to do is take a character, or a place, or historical event from my novel and try to write a short story about it. Invariably, it helps me in my thinking about the novel, and (perhaps more importantly) it gives me practice with that strange and mysterious ENDING part of a story that I have so much trouble getting to in my novels :-)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes--yet to be included in this discussion--novels are a series of short stories bound around one idea. Robert Silverberg showed me that (and Robert Nowall, and later Algis Budrys, helped me understand it).

I write flash fiction, short stories, novellettes, novellas and novels. Passion is the motovation, it should never replace learning the skills, but give you a stronger reason to learn them. Passion isn't the tools, and doesn't instruct you where to use them; it's the love of craft that makes you pay attention to the tedious details and concede the areas you need to develope. It's the pride when you finally do publish and feel vindication for all the work that got you there.

Whether novels or short stories are better to start with is like comparing Kung Fu to Ballet: Both are beautiful in execution; both strengthen muscles you would not otherwise consider; both will gain you noteriety. Which one is better? Well, that depends on the need: Kung Fu won't help you sweep a debutante away to a magical place, and the Merengue won't save you from banditos--but master them both, and you make sure your date is entertained and safe. Do you have to? No? Is it better to? Well, that's something you have to answer for yourself.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As I don't read a lot of short fiction, writing short fiction hasn't been a goal for me in and of itself. However since short fiction is quicker to edit, easier to get feedback on, and forces an economy of space on plot, character development and language, every time I write a short story I find it a useful exercise.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
Starting with short stories is a good idea because they don't take a lot of work like novels do. What a new writer can learn from short stories, is how to construct a story. How to show and not tell. Many young writers when they first start, pretty much only tell. They haven't learned how to write scenes yet. It is best they learn how to write scenes by practicing with short stories. Another problem they have is not giving their short story a beginning, middle, and ending. Once they can write a short story that has scenes, and has a beginning, middle, and ending, then they should, if they wish, tackle the novel.

In all truth, most people don't have the dedication it takes to finish a novel. If they do finish it, it takes them years. It takes a lot of drive to finish a novel in less than a year, or the first draft in two months or less.

For these writers, though, there is always the short story.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't write a short story I'm not passionate about. If I'm not excited about the idea it just won't happen. So for as much as we may talk about learning the craft and exposure, there is still certainly a passion about what we're writing. Maybe because more short stories get written it is easier to let those children go.

I think you can liken the difference between a painter and a ceramicist. A painter can work lovingly on a painting for months on end and never call it completely finished as they always feel that they can fine tune this or that. The potter makes a lot of pieces, some perfect, some not. These many pieces have the potential to explode in the kiln (especially when you're sharing space with others), develop unforseen cracks or develop an odd shape that you thought you had corrected. And that's all just in the first firing. There's a whole different batch of dangers in the glaze firing. And then, when a piece has survived it all and is beautiful and perfect, it can be dropped and break into a dozen pieces.

My point is, both artists have a different attitude about their work, speed, production and perfection levels. And the nice thing about short stories is that if it doesn't come out right you don't have to throw it in the trash, you can re-work it.

For the people that feel like their ideas are all novel length, try shrinking the scope of your idea to one small point. Start with, 'what if?' until you find something tha grabs you and then build out from there. See how that idea affect a single person and write their story. Look at it from a few different angles and see whose perspective is the most interesting.

A new bit of technology might be good for one group, bad for another and then really bad for someone else. Don't try to tell all of their stories, pick one to follow and do it from the critical point where things start to happen.

So those are my ramblings. Hope they help.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what I did to help InarticulateBabbler, but I'm happy to have done so.

As for passion...well, sometimes I think my own passion for writing has died and I'm just continuing out of habit. I want to write science fiction---I want to write, but I don't particularly want to write anything else---but I don't read much science fiction these days, and that's usually an old classic rather than something new. The lightning doesn't strike as often and the white heat of working on something isn't happening right now...I wait and see what comes.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.