Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » To Segway or Not To Segway

Author Topic: To Segway or Not To Segway
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the recommended way to segue from a present event in a story to a flashback -- within the same chapter?
Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I know of no official way of doing it. Flashbacks should only be a small percentage of your story--not a large chunk of it. I remember being told a long time ago--more of dream it was...

"Adam," the ghost of Asimov said, "use italics for flashbacks--it gives it dreamy quality. And, drift from normal text using ellipses (optional--but it shows a connection to the flashbackee). Of course, you'll need a line break to denote a break in time and place."

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited January 27, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it's some grotesque comedy point..."Bang! Bang! Four shots ripped into my gut. But first, let me tell you a little about myself."...I'll second keeping any flashback short. A long flashback that'd work in the movies (think Casablanca) works less well in print.

There are some that have gotten away with it, though...you'll have to see what you've got and see how it works.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC recommends that a flashback scene be "rooted" by a present-day scene that is at least twice as long as the flashback.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Use the - what is it, pluperfect? That verb tense that looks like this:

She had been wearing the same dress that day she went to the lake with Johnny. It was a warm day. She took off her sweater and left it by the bank. She remembered she had put the key in the pocket of the dress. But now, where was it? She plunged her hands into the pockets, feeling the fraying thread at the bottom pull dangerously, but they were empty, save for some pink-colored lint.

The "had been" or other had-forms of verbs help delineate the "back in the further past" parts of the flashback from the "simple past" that the rest of the story is presumably using (not everyone writes in simple past but that's the general standard.)

Hope this helps. I believe this is covered well in the book BUILDING FICTION - by I think Jesse Lee Kercheval (doing this from memory, I might be wrong on the details.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best I remember off hand was a character with a limp because she had only one foot. At the end of the chapter she was introduced, she says something along the lines of "finish up with that and come inside, and I'll tell you how I lost my foot."

So, cliffhanger ending to the chapter. Then, the next chapter was a recount of her telling the story to the other characters. Even though it was essentially a flashback, it worked really well. First off, the author led into it well. Secondly, by making the character tell it to the other characters, they were able to ask questions and so forth in a way that kept it connected to the main story.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also seen a few that have no segue between the two scenes, the next chapter just starts telling it, and the reader slowly figures out this happened in the past. It keeps the reader readifying to see how it will connect back into the main story. Not my favorite way of doing things, but I've seen it.
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
And then it occurs to me that virtually the entirety of THE NAME OF THE WIND, by Patrick Rothfuss is, in fact, a flashback. The MC tells it as he's dictating his memoirs.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I have recently put myself in a position where learning a solid and effective way of handling flashbacks would be in my best interest.

In my WIP, one of my characters has two flashbacks in the same scene. I remember finishing that particular scene one night, leaning back in my chair, and thinking to myself, "Well done!" Then, the very next day, I thought back on exactly what I did, and could have sworn I heard the Writing Faux Pas Express coming to run me over.

In reality, I have no idea whether or not this sort of thing will be frowned upon by a majority of readers; I suppose it's all in how I handle the scene in its entirety.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch uses two separate timelines (as does my WIP), but they aren't so much in "flashback" form as they are completely separated. If the characters are children, then it's in the past. Stephen King did pretty well with two timelines in It, so it can't be all bad.

I do twice to out-of-sequence narration within a chapter, but both times there is a very specific reasoning. The first attempt I'm happy with, the second attempt not so much.

In the first instance, the narration is OOS only slightly: the chapter begins with a letter from one character to another ("Dear Baron, the issue is taken care of..."), then goes to separated scenes where we see the MC committing the actions he alluded to in the letter, then at the end we see the interaction between the writer of the letter and the recipient. In fact, I don't specify that the letter is being read after the events have occurred (and I suppose they don't have to), so this might not technically be OOS.

The second one, with which I'm considerably less happy as it reads now, is more of an instance of peaking behind the magician's curtain. A simplified summary of the events (in chapter N) runs as follows.

1. Character A realizes he has neglected Character B at the end of chapter N-1. Wants to do something really super awesome for her, tosses out several bad ideas b/c he wants it to be the best thing ever, then "realizes what he needs to do."
  2. Chapter N starts from the POV of character B, and we see the results of the super duper awesome thing (hereafter referred to as the SDAT) that character A does. (These are kids sneaking out at night from separate schools, which is difficult to do.)
  3. After super-duper event from POV of character B has concluded, (insert line break and appropriate notation to indicate break of continuity to the reader) we see the very lengthy, interesting, and important steps that character A went through to set up the SDAT. (Breaking out of his dormitory requires preparation, investigation, discovery, and several inspired ideas, as he has to figure out / break through several layers of magic-aided security).
  4. One more "continuity break" and we see the conclusion of the evening, after the events of the SDAT, where something highly interesting occurs. (Turns out he didn't break out completely undetected).

I'm not thrilled with the way it reads, but I'm at a loss for a better way to arrange it. I feel the immediate jump from the end of chapter N-1 (thinking he needs to do something for her) to the start of chapter N (her seeing what he does) is very powerful. The setup is important in establishing the creative/subversive mind of the MC, however, and really shouldn't be left out. The MC doesn't realize he's been caught until he returns and finds a letter left on his bed by the teacher that caught him, and this establishes key traits about both the profess or and the MC.

Crank, Edward Douglas, any chance you would be up for a swap & discuss of the relevant chapter attempts? (or anyone else, for that matter). I think mine clocks in at something like 5000 to 7000 words.

** Edit - turns out UBB code in this doesn't allow the u and /u tags for underline.

[This message has been edited by micmcd (edited January 27, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by micmcd (edited January 27, 2010).]

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for all the input. I'll look up some of these examples.

Basically, what I've done is taken events that happen a week before the first chapter and insert them into a flashback in Chapter 2 when one of my principal characters is drinking and thinking over the events of that week. The flashback does take up the majority of the chapter and ends when this character is brought back to the present by a knock on his door. I did not want to write these events into a prologue because they are too recent and pertinent to the tale I'm telling.

micmcd, I'd be happy to swap attempts with you. My first two chapters run just over 15000 words, using MSWord count tool. Shoot me an email if you want to swap.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
What does

S!
S!

mean?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
The Historian has very effective transitions among multiple flashbacks - it's done primarily through a diary and various letters.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
@Meredith

Interesting assessment but I'd rather call The Name of the Wind a- story-in-a-story. Though it is a memoir of sorts too.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

@ micmcd
I'll take a look at your chapters, but the one I'm working on is still somewhat fragmented. I might offer it up later, but, for now, send yours.

@ skadder
It's short for my long-time sig (back when I used to write letters on paper)

Success!
Steve!

It was something a writer friend of mine and I came up with to remind each other of what we should continually strive for.

S!
S!

Hmmmm...maybe if I'd stop abbreviating it, I might actually get published...!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Katharine Kerr's "Deverry" series, with its extended flashbacks covering the history of the characters in various incarnations, handled it well...so I guess you can get away with some major-chunk-of-the-work flashbacks.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most important is to make it clear to the reader that they are reading a flashback. Otherwise, I've seen it done a lot of ways including a stand-alone scene that seem to work just fine.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.