Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Request for Partial

Author Topic: Request for Partial
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I went to this meeting of the local chapter of the California Writer's Club last night. The speaker was an agent for a local agency. The agency had actually been recommended to me about a year ago by a published writer, but they don't take unsolicited queries except under certain conditions. One of those conditions is that they meet you at a conference and request the manuscript.

Long story short(er), I took a chance and emailed a query today on the strength of the club meeting. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? I've had rejections before.

I braced myself when I saw the return email in my inbox. I've seen that before and it's always been the same. Not this time. She actually asked to see the first three chapters. I can't say she sounded wildly enthusiastic, but she did ask for more. She did say it would depend on the writing and the characters.

I just finished giving those chapters a quick once over. Tomorrow, I'm going to change my ink cartridge and print out the first three chapters of BLOOD WILL TELL. I'm sure I need to write a short cover letter, too. It probably doesn't need to say much more than "Here are the requested chapters" and "Thank you".

Woo! This is a first.

Posts: 4377 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great! Best of luck!
Posts: 443 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you super good luck with this, Meredith. Way to go!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a great move forward! Congrats, and here's to continuing success!

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats and good luck!
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! Congrats!

Be sure to write "Requested Materials" on the envelope so it doesn't get lost in the slush. And since your query is working, keep querying.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Be sure to write "Requested Materials" on the envelope so it doesn't get lost in the slush.

Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 4377 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a synopsis ready in case she asks for that next, right?
Posts: 8523 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
You have a synopsis ready in case she asks for that next, right?

Yep. Fingers crossed, although I'd rather she asked for more of the ms. I have a two-page synopsis. Fortunately, because those things take more than a day or two to write.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news, Meredith. Congratulations.
Posts: 1607 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! congratulations Meredith! That's super news, keep us posted.
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for Meredith!
Posts: 962 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Thanks. It's been sent. Now it's just wait and see some more. There seems to be a lot of that in this writing business.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy dance. I need to get better at networking.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Happy dance. I need to get better at networking.

Thanks. Believe me, you cannot possibly be worse at networking than I am. It just isn't possible. But desperation can be a pretty good teacher.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!
Posts: 3682 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, Meredith.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh you beat me at "I went to this meeting."
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Oh you beat me at "I went to this meeting."

Okay, well you do kind of have to do that much at least.

Meredith
Member # 8368

Well, as of tomorrow, it will be five weeks and I haven't heard anything. Is this usual? I don't know what kind of time frame I should expect. Should I just wait and hope? Should I send a polite note to make sure that she got it? If so, what should it say?

(Ashamed to admit it, but despite Jamie Ford's good advice, I forgot to write "Requested Materials" on the envelope. I was making myself too crazy making sure I had everything right in the envelope. )

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited June 08, 2010).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.