Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Request for Partial

Author Topic: Request for Partial
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went to this meeting of the local chapter of the California Writer's Club last night. The speaker was an agent for a local agency. The agency had actually been recommended to me about a year ago by a published writer, but they don't take unsolicited queries except under certain conditions. One of those conditions is that they meet you at a conference and request the manuscript.

Long story short(er), I took a chance and emailed a query today on the strength of the club meeting. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? I've had rejections before.

I braced myself when I saw the return email in my inbox. I've seen that before and it's always been the same. Not this time. She actually asked to see the first three chapters. I can't say she sounded wildly enthusiastic, but she did ask for more. She did say it would depend on the writing and the characters.

I just finished giving those chapters a quick once over. Tomorrow, I'm going to change my ink cartridge and print out the first three chapters of BLOOD WILL TELL. I'm sure I need to write a short cover letter, too. It probably doesn't need to say much more than "Here are the requested chapters" and "Thank you".

Woo! This is a first.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great! Best of luck!
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you super good luck with this, Meredith. Way to go!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great move forward! Congrats, and here's to continuing success!

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats and good luck!
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! Congrats!

Be sure to write "Requested Materials" on the envelope so it doesn't get lost in the slush. And since your query is working, keep querying.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Be sure to write "Requested Materials" on the envelope so it doesn't get lost in the slush.

Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a synopsis ready in case she asks for that next, right?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
You have a synopsis ready in case she asks for that next, right?

Yep. Fingers crossed, although I'd rather she asked for more of the ms. I have a two-page synopsis. Fortunately, because those things take more than a day or two to write.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news, Meredith. Congratulations.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! congratulations Meredith! That's super news, keep us posted.
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Meredith!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Thanks. It's been sent. Now it's just wait and see some more. There seems to be a lot of that in this writing business.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy dance. I need to get better at networking.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Happy dance. I need to get better at networking.

Thanks. Believe me, you cannot possibly be worse at networking than I am. It just isn't possible. But desperation can be a pretty good teacher.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Meredith.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you beat me at "I went to this meeting."
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Oh you beat me at "I went to this meeting."

Okay, well you do kind of have to do that much at least.

Meredith
Member # 8368

Well, as of tomorrow, it will be five weeks and I haven't heard anything. Is this usual? I don't know what kind of time frame I should expect. Should I just wait and hope? Should I send a polite note to make sure that she got it? If so, what should it say?

(Ashamed to admit it, but despite Jamie Ford's good advice, I forgot to write "Requested Materials" on the envelope. I was making myself too crazy making sure I had everything right in the envelope. )

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited June 08, 2010).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.