Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Tense for my novel

Author Topic: Tense for my novel
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the first chapter of my novel and I have a question about tense.

It is being written in 1st person, present tense. I have two main characters and they are alternating views after every chapter. My concern is confusing the reader with the switching of 1st person POV. Third person may seem easier, but I've envisioned the novel being in 1st.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geronl
Member # 9156

- posted      Profile for geronl   Email geronl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just make it clear with chapter headings or something right at the start of each chapter that shows which character it is.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Present tense is hard for me to get through for something as long as a novel. I've only encountered it once, and it was so distracting that I had trouble remembering what I had just read. But that might just be me.

And if you're really in love with using first person for two characters' POVs, then experiment with it and see what happens. But it's not the norm and might be a hard sell if you try to get the novel published.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written two stories in first person present tense and while they work, for some people they feel awkward. Some people reject anything written in this tense. I would recommend that you reconsider writing an entire novel in present tense. Why not first person, past tense. You'll find a lot more people to be accepting of it.

As far as switching pov, as stated, just make sure it's clear whose pov you're in right from the start of the section.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I second what geronl said.

I know a lot of people are not huge Twilight fans here, but Breaking Dawn has a first person POV switch from Bella to Jacob. I think Meyers does this extremely well. It is very clear whose POV we are in, and the Jacob sections don't read anything like the Bella sections. You can really see their distinct personalities in the narrative.

It might be worth checking out if you want to see how something like this has been done before.

ETA. I've read a lot of first person present tense lately. It annoys me in the beginning, but once I get into the book, I don't notice it anymore. A good example is The Hunger Games.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited July 17, 2010).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I also always thought I hated present tense, but I just read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson, in present tense all the way through the novel, and it never bothered me once. It worked perfectly for that story.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really like present either, it creates a bit of cognitive dissonance for me "this line is happening now, even though that last line was also happening now, but they clearly couldn't have happened at the same time." but if it's right for the story go with it. There are many people who don't think that way. And it's not a deal breaker for me it just bothers me.

My go to advice in this situation is re-write a scene in the other way and see how you like it.

You can do first person with different characters just, as has been said, put their name right at the top, over the chapter title. No worries.

I'm a little worried that you say you are asking about tense then ask a question about POV. Tense is past/present/future. POV is 1st/2nd/3rd. (One of these days I'm going to write something in 2nd future tense, just for fun.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

- posted      Profile for JSchuler   Email JSchuler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also always thought I hated present tense, but I just read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson, in present tense all the way through the novel, and it never bothered me once. It worked perfectly for that story.

Heh, I read Snow Crash all the way through and never (consciously) noticed. But, now that I think about it, I see why he went that route. It works quite well there, giving the novel an immediate feel that fits with its action-oriented storyline. I felt like I was reading a summer blockbuster movie, as opposed to a book.

Posts: 388 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for your replies! Don't be worried, I guess the question was both toward tense and POV. A couple of books ago I read The Hunger Games and the author does it in 1st person present tense, I believe that's why I've been throwing around the idea of writing my novel that way.

Like one of you said, why not write it all in 1st person past tense? Now wouldn't that mean the narrator would be telling the story from the very beginning of the novel and in the end being "where he was at the start". I haven't really thought about doing that...

Another option would be to have someone read this first chapter, no critique just an opinion on tense and POV, if anyone is interested let me know. Thanks.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Both first person and present tense are considered more difficult writing styles. More experienced (code name for more published) authors have greater success with these styles.

With first person, most newer writers get tripped up with overusing personal pronouns, such as I, me, we, and us. There begins to be a sort of monotony unless done very well, and the story has the potential to get lost within this POV.

With present tense, many find themselves either slipping back into past on occasions or hitting brick walls where the story can't be effectively progressed in this tense. This is largely due to the fact that as the author speaks, everything that has happened previously then becomes the past. With two speakers, this could potentially cause you some trouble.

Both of these are perfectly good styles; they are just more challenging in various aspects. They will most likely also garner greater scrutiny, which might not benefit a first novel.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

Do you believe 1st person past tense will have less scrutiny on a first novel??
geronl
Member # 9156

I always seem to mix up past and present tenses in my stories' first drafts.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
For what its worth, as a reader I rarely notice things like tense (or POV for that matter) at all. I'm too concerned with the actual story.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geronl
Member # 9156

or I'll tend to narrate or sometimes I swerve too far and make a part all dialogue.

"What does that measn?"

"An extended part of a story with nothing but characters speaking"

"Sounds a little strange"

"Oh, it definitely is"

AmiraDay
Member # 9154

- posted      Profile for AmiraDay   Email AmiraDay         Edit/Delete Post 
OlsenOlsen, I would like to read the first chapter of your novel! I am new to the forum and just finished the first chapter of my own story.I'm always really nervous about my own stories especially the beginning because it sets the tone for the rest of the story. Reading yours, I would have something to compare to, and you would have critique. Also! I'm very curious about the present tense! If you would like me to read it, mail it, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me reiterate that there is nothing "wrong" with either one of these writing approaches. THEY ARE ONLY MORE CHALLENGING.

First person make narration especially difficult. One thing you must remember is that the only things that can happen in the novel are either from direct experience or heresay. If there is something happening in the next room or across town, the narrator won't be able to know it, unless he can see through walls or has visions. Now, this also holds true for close third, but there are more ways around it with that POV, which can often involve changes in POV character. This is less easily pulled off in first.

There are some great stories written in first; one classic is The Great Gatsby and one recent that comes to mind is The Historian, which uses multiple POV characters spread across time - and Elizabeth Kostova, the author, was a first-time novelist. I believe the key is to continue to focus on other characters versus the narrator (this seems to be something consistent in well-written first person stories).

There are also some excellent present tense stories - Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union (written in present tense) won the 2008 Hugo and Nebula awards. However, he used a 40's pulp style that worked well in present tense. Also, a little tidbit about the story is that Chabon originally wrote it in first person POV and then went back and completely rewrote it in third.

One suggestion I would make is to find an author who writes in a similar style to your own and emulate his/her approach (POV and tense). The other is focus on the story structure and multiple characters.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.