Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What authors/books inspire you?

Author Topic: What authors/books inspire you?
chalkdustfairy
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for chalkdustfairy   Email chalkdustfairy         Edit/Delete Post 
When I hit a wall with a project I pull out a favorite book/author to remind me what I love about writing. Here are some of my favorites. Who are yours?

Diana Gabaldon, Garrison Keillor, L.M.Montgomery

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
Graham Dunsten Martin got me hooked on the idea of writing as a kid, but J.V. Jones' novels kicked my butt into gear and really got me going.
Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, Lois McMaster Bujold. Hands down.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guess
Member # 9085

- posted      Profile for guess           Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Jordan for the breadth of his series. I like the way he has ideas and legends from all kinds of different cultures then blends them together.

wheel of time is from hinduim
the dragon is a christ like character
taveren comes out of alot of religions
seanchen is a culture similiar to east asian cultures in the past
twists on the king arthur legend. Artur Hawking Paendrag and the sword in the stone, the stone is a fortress and the sword is a magic weapon.

stuff like that. He didn't stick to one set of legends or cultures in his world. I also like the depth and the layers of his writing.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Thomas Burnett Swann, and J. R. R. Tolkien remind me how good writing can be.

Others, who I won't name, remind me that I think I can write better than they can, no matter how interesting their stuff is.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Isaac Asimov and Octavia E. Butler.

In middle school, Asimov made me believe that I could write. Little did I know that his straightforward style that made me believe that was not nearly as easy as he made it look.

And more recently, Wild Seed made me want to take my writing to a new level. I saw how much more I could be doing and I think my writing has deepened because of it.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
George R. R. Martin, Steven Pressfield. If you lose hope that you will master all the details needed to tell a tale, look up to these guys. There are other authors but right now I can't think of any.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, Alastair Reynolds, William Gibson, and JRR Tolkien.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Zelazny and Dorothy Dunnett.

Two more disparate writers it would be hard to find.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
We go through these lists every so often. I have listed a great many in the past, but I'll try to be brief here:

• Robert R. McCammon
  • Haprer Lee
  • George R. R. Martin
  • Robert E. Howard
  • Orson Scott Card
  • Brandon Sanderson
  • Kevin J. Anderson
  • Conn Iggulden
  • Steve Perry (the writer, not the singer)
  • Robert Heinlein
  • Robert Silverberg
  • Brent Weeks
  • Bernard Cornwell
  • Robert Low
  • Robert Ludlum
  • Brian Lumley
  • Dean R. Koontz
  • John Sandford
  • Patrick Rothfuss
  • John D. MacDonald
  • Robert Jordan (particularly his older stuff)
  • Jamie Ford
  • Jay Lake
  • John Scalzi
  • Aliette de Bodard
  • Mary Robinette Kowal

Though, in all honesty, I'm much more inspired by my fellow up-and-coming authors, fellow forum-mates who are questing for originality and those I've seen go on--through hard work--to success.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ray Bradbury, Orson Scott Card, Tracy Hickman, Howard Tayler, Luis Sachar.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chalkdustfairy
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for chalkdustfairy   Email chalkdustfairy         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else find it interesting that very few of these names were duplicated?
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
J.R.R. Tolkien: I realize a lot of people don't like the way he writes and think his characters lack depth. I think his writing is beautiful, he created the single most rich and detailed fantasy world, and indeed the most beloved story in history, and to me his characters are like old friends. In many of the most stressful times in my life, in moments where I've felt lost, I go and read the Lothlorien portions of The Fellowship of the Ring. Galadriel always gets me back on track.

Ursula K. LeGuin: A Wizard of Earthsea is one of my all time favorite books. The School on Roke and its Nine Masters, along with LeGuins use of language have had a huge effect on me, as a writer and as a person (she's one of the writers who comes up most frequently when I put my stuff in the "I Write Like" thingy.)

H.P. Lovecraft: Huge influence on me as a writer especially. He's another one I know a lot of people today don't care for his style, but its the vision that counts. Interestingly in "I Write Like" little of my fiction comes up as him...but most of my blog posts and the like do. His influence on speculative fiction can't be overstated. Nobody does weird like him.

Ray Bradbury: I read "The October Country" every October. As I've gotten older there are some things about him I've come to...not like as much both in terms of his writing and his ideas but his style is amazing and "The Jar" will always be one of my favorite short stories. Big influence on my style (I once had a story rejected for being too much like Ray Bradbury, supposedly.)

Stephen King: Inventor of the horror novel and one of the bestselling writers ever. Sort of like the illegitimate love child of Lovecraft, Bradbury and Tolkien.

Simon Logan: One most folks probably haven't heard of. When I found his Industrial fiction, it was like someone turned on the light in a part of my mind that had always been there...the feelings, the atmosphere, but he gave it definite form. Some of my stories are directly inspired by his work...in a way. Sort of like he showed me what was possible and I began doing my own thing with it. He also gave me a little help in getting started submitting.

There are many other influences, but when someone asks a question like this these are the ones that spring to my mind. It may be off topic, but I'm also very strongly inspired by Anime and Japanese storytelling in general.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
If I am being completely honest, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but Stephenie Meyer. It's not because I thought her writing was wonderful or even the books (though I did enjoy them) it was that she was someone I could relate to.

My husband had been bugging me to write for years but I was too scared and a little in awe of authors. But reading Stephenie's website and learning that she was a stay at home mom who hadn't written before with little kids and lived in Arizona like me, I thought, if she can do this then so can I.

I'm not going to list all the other authors that inspired me because they've already been listed.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
satate, I read all of the Twilight series and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm not much of a romance fan but I must confess I found Meyer's style interesting. I could see where she tried to do something, where she failed to do something else. I learned plenty.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm a late arrival in the OS Card camp... He shot way up to the top three of my picks with Enders Game and Enders Shadow.

Octavia Butler just blew me away with Wild Seed, Genevive. Blew Me Away!

I've just completed the fifth Jim Butcher, 'Dresden Files' story. Great storytelling, lots of fun.

I will forever have a soft spot for Rudyard Kipling, Herman Melville, Jules Verne...

Dare I throw RA Salvatore's name into the mix? Kinda DnD'esque but what a cool ride. He is one of my favorites on the lighter side of things.

My newest self appointed assignment for reading is; C.J. Cherryh. Anyone familiar with her? Any recommendations for her works?

Doug

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone else find it interesting that very few of these names were duplicated?

I sure do, I'm surprised the only author I listed that others did as well was Tolkien. Thats a given, but I thought more people would be into Gibson and Reynolds.

I also expected Stephen R. Donaldson to be mentioned at least once Oh look, I just mentioned him. Some more names for me:

I enjoy Vernon Vinge as well as Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveR
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for SteveR   Email SteveR         Edit/Delete Post 
George R. R. Martin is an excellent scene crafter
Chris Barzak is great with mood and intricate layering
Orson Scott Card is an excellent storyteller
Stephen King is an interesting blend of genre and non-genre
Karen Joy Fowler manages such delicate recipes
Kelly Link is a blast of new genre
Octavia Butler was a treasure; I'll never forget reading "Bloodchild" in OMNI back in the day. It was that good.

There are many others, but these come to mind right now.

My wife, Susan Urbanek Linville, is my favorite of all :-) (Biased? Me?) I admire the way she writes so simply, yet manages an emotional punch nearly every time I read her work. It's all about story with her. I guess we admire what we have difficulty doing ourselves.

Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveR
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for SteveR   Email SteveR         Edit/Delete Post 
C. J. Cherryh was my favorite author at one time and I adored her Downbelow Station series. How she manages to write scenes with tons of characters and yet not confuse me, is impressive. I'm less thrilled with her later work - it may just be that my tastes have moved on, though. She remains a very good writer.

Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash was like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day when I read it. Amazing, glib, wonderfully imagined. He's in love with his voice, however, which put me off subsequent books. I'm told his Baroque Cycle is well worth reading and I'm working through Anathem now. It's a wonderfully complex world, but as much as I admire Stephenson's grant imagination, I find myself wishing he would cut his page count down a bit before publishing them.

Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.