Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Stealing the Gospel?

Author Topic: Stealing the Gospel?
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently reading a great book set in a secondary world with wytches and magical items and the like, when the author used a great line. It was such a good line, I looked it up.

Turns out the line is often attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, so my admiration for the author's skill shrank a little.

Now I know that the bible has been a major source of inspiration for all of Western lit, but this lifting of a line from a saint (although it is doubtful the saint ever said or wrote the actual line) doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not offended by this on a religious level. If authors want to have good characters showing good Christian values and ideas, I'm fine with it. I guess I feel that the author should have reworked , reworded, or recreated the line instead of just copying it.

Any thoughts about this?

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
To get a better feel for the context, can we know what the line is?
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary use words.

It was spoken in the book by a man who believes in one god which is a rarity in the secondary world the author created. The man's belief is obviously derivitive of a Judeo-Christian faith with enough differences so that it isn't Christian.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be honest - this does not bother me. I've read many books, can't remember specifics, where authors have used a phrase from another writer, religious or secular, as a sort of "tip-of-the-hat" to that writer.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, if something falls under copyright laws, one should be very careful in doing this.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
It being in dialogue makes a big difference to me. If the secondary world is a derivative of the real one - so it had its own St Francis, for example - then this wouldn't bother me at all. The character could very well be quoting St Francis consciously.

If however the narrative makes this point as part of authorial intrusion, I'd get very annoyed, mostly at the overtness of the intrusion and a little at the author (*apparently*) trying to make a quote without an attribution. Likewise, if the secondary world has no tie to the real world (so there's no St Francis to have made the quote) I would be just as bothered as if someone in a horse & cart milieu was told to "step on it" (a subject we discussed not long ago, iirc).

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

Nope, no St. Francis. Perhaps the author is trying to hit the reader with the Hammer of No Duh that the faith of the people who believe in the one god is based on the Judeo-Christian beliefs.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Let me add that people have used phrases from Shakespeare so often in literature for the past 400 years, without crediting him, that the phrases are now part of our common language.

The same is true for Benjamin Franklin within the last 200 years.

Since St. Francis lived 800 years ago, I would not be surprised if several of his maxims have become commonplace in our language.

JSchuler
Member # 8970

- posted      Profile for JSchuler   Email JSchuler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a well known quote, so I doubt the author is trying to pull a fast one. It would be like trying to claim "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" as your own. People would just laugh at you.
Posts: 388 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's an allusion, which is allowed, but I agree, bahooher, that it would have been much, much cooler for the character to have expressed the idea "in his own words" so to speak.

That way, the allusion would have been more subtle, and the speaker would have seemed more original in himself (because unless the character knew who St. Francis was and was deliberately alluding to him, it does make the writer look like a cheat).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.