Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF Electronic Submission

Author Topic: WOTF Electronic Submission
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone submitted an entry electonically? I just did - my first ever to WOTF. I have never heard anyone mention this as an option before. I wasn't sure if this was something new or if I just seriously screwed up.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone said that it was starting with this quarter, philocinemas.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
The electronic submissions are new this quarter. Was it an easy process? I'm looking forward to submitting that way instead of going through the hassle of a trip to the post office.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
It was very easy. In fact it was so easy I thought I had done something wrong - like toss my entry down a virtual garbage chute or something.

Edited to replace "shoot" with "chute" - although the first may have been more accurate.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 13, 2010).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you include the title page with the document file then or do you just put that info in the email?
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

It has an area you check stating that the author's name is not included in the document, therefore I removed my cover page. You also are able to save your entry prior to submitting it - I kind of wished I had done that just to make sure I filled everything out right the first time through - my OCD has been in hyperdrive ever since.

I cannot remember being asked for approximate number of words, and now I cannot go back and check. If someone submits electronically in the near future, could you please let me know where that was requested - I don't think they would have allowed me to submit without that, but I just don't remember that question.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to submit through the post office so that I can make a ceremony of the send-off (my first to WOTF) and to avoid glitches that might arise from the contest's first live run with e-subs.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen,
I posted it elsewhere but it was just a line on a long thread. This was a good idea starting a thread of its own.

quote:
I'm going to submit through the post office
It was funny to read this because I had actually dismissed it as an option.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. Does anyone know how they are going to handle the word count issue? Will they just use their computers for the count or will it be the 73 page by proper format rule?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the 73 page by proper format rule for us newbies?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the short version...

If you format your story correctly (correct font, size, double spacing, and tabs), 17,000 words comes out to 73 printed pages. We had a hatracker whose story came out to be 10 pages more than that. She worked hard to get it under 17k but it came back as exceeding the word count.

But since electronic subs can be checked with a simple computer word count, I wonder if our hatracker story will now be good to go.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah I see. I read somewhere that if you have your manuscript in standard submission format, you should have 250 words per page. Using the 17000/73 rule comes out to about 230 words per page though. Yet I format 1 inch margins, 12 pt dark courier, double spaced, and I get an average of 220 words per page. Not sure why the difference. It may be my tab is too big, but I've no idea how to adjust the tab.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited August 23, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the amount of dialogue in the story.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Osiris,
Perhaps you are using more expensive words than the rest of us...

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Osiris, you can also turn off 'orphans' on your page break settings. That way the word processor won't force you to have whole paragraphs on the page, it will break them up at the natural page breaks and you'll get more words on the page.

Also, make sure that your spacing is 24pt.(for double) Evidently some programs default a little bigger.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
KDW has shone some light on how to do the electronic submissions. When you upload your story document, it apparently goes straight to her unfiltered, so don't include anything that mentions your name. That means no title page, and make sure you take your name out of the header. (She says Joni blacks out names in headers on print submissions but doesn't process the e-submissions.)

To read KDW's plea (and the myriad responses):
http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=xover&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture

Also, she mentions this bit:
"I just had a chance to visit with some of the WOTF judges at the Hollywood Awards. They all agreed that they dislike stories which do not tie everything up."

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
That's weird what everyone is saying about the word count. Courier New, double spaced, with one inch margins averages out to 250 words per page or 68 pages for 17,000 words. These other word counts is news to me (big shrug).
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I just had a chance to visit with some of the WOTF judges at the Hollywood Awards. They all agreed that they dislike stories which do not tie everything up."

Well, in that case, I'm not submitting the story I thought I was going to...

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.