Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Hatrack stomps WOTF with two winners.

Author Topic: Hatrack stomps WOTF with two winners.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya done me proud boys and girls. Gina and I sat as proud as can be at another great awards show. So I picked up two of the 26th anthology and if y'all want to put on some kind of brief writing contest I will send a pre-release copy to the winner.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Oops, stoopid IPhone.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited August 29, 2010).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll throw a contest if you like. I have my copy on the way so I don't need to win another. Let me know if you have any criterea. I can put a trigger together easily.

Thanks Tracy.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

btw, who and what won?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I don't mind Snapster, whatever is popular and productive is cool with me. Everyone has different interests and styles so a broad trigger would probably be best.
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Who won what?
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Laurie Tom won the gold award (and $5000) for "Living Rooms." Brad looked amazing in full military dress. Adam was watching online (his schedule wouldn't allow him to attend, but he still gets his award) and texting me on the Iphone to jump up and down so he could see me, haha. June Scobee was riveting and talked for about thirty minutes. She shocked us all in relating the story down to the last seconds and watching the Challenger explode from the control tower to the day her son grew up to be a commander and fly the missing man formation over the Cowboys stadium in F16's. Four Jets coming in low and at the last second one jet breaks away and Dick's son goes ballistic straight to the heavens. Wow, Gina and I both in tears. June paused and collected herself several times and we were all rooting for her. She's an amazing woman who took tragedy and made something good out of it. Check out her Challenger program. Brilliant evening.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Oh wait you meant who won from here. Well the one and only Brad R. Torgerson with his story "Exanastasis" and Skadder aka Adam Colston for his story "Not in the Flesh." Both now published Writers of the Future winners. You have to have the anthology to read those stories so enter Snapsters little contest and if you win you get a free pre-release copy mailed to you. Congrats to both our Hatrackers.

Tracy

snapper
Member # 7299

No. I meant the gold award. Okay, this is what I have in mind....

For those of you that want your own copy of the Writers of the Future Vol 26, complete with fellow hatrackers Adam Colston (aka skadder) and Brad T Torgenson (aka Brad T Torgenson) award winning stories, then join in the upcoming contest. A few ground rules...

Write a story (length to be determined) based on a trigger (I have one in mind already but waiting to reveal it).

For those that participate, you will need to be a judge as well as a contestant. You will be required to read all entries (unless I get a lot, then we'll devide them up) and pick your favorites (but not your own). The one that gets the most votes gets a copy of the book, sent to you by the gracious Twinlz (I got that right Tracy?)

I would like to start this contest on Sept 1, the day I plan on revealing the trigger, but I would like a little help on a few things.

1) What would be a good upper word count?

We have done 1000 words and 2000 words. the longer the count, the easier it is to write. Longer word counts means more work for judging. I am thinking a 4000 word max. sounds good, but if we get 10 entries, that could mean a 40000 word judging assignment. So what should the word max be?

2) How long to write?

A month sound about right?

3) How long to judge?

That one we can determine later once we find out how many entires we get but an idea might be nice for Tracy's benefit.

Stay tuned. Details and trigger will be forthcoming soon...

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited August 30, 2010).]

tnwilz
Member # 4080

You are correct sir.
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Yummmmm; my interest is piqued!

Lis

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and CONGRATS to Skadder and Brad!
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveR
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for SteveR   Email SteveR         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to Brad and Skad.

The contest sounds great. 4000 words would be fine with me.

Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Brad and Skadder!!!
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

As my wife pointed out 'Not in the Flesh' was rather apt title in the end, as I watched the award ceremony, but wasn't actually... oh, you got it--I'll stop.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited August 30, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
If it gets too large, you could always split the voting/critiquing into two or three groups, having the top 1, 2 or 3 from each group making it into the finals. (A bit like what they did when the WOTF groups administrated by Writer Dan got too big.) The finals can then be decided by a second round of votes/critiques (or by the two WOTF winners here, if they have not submitted a story into the competition).
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I won't be submitting to the competition--I get 12 copies of the book for free!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder & Brad... Excellent. Very good action both of you. Congrats for a well deserved victory... hard earned!

I would love to participate.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you both
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys know I don't necessarily approve of WoTF...but congratulations are in order nonetheless. So congrats, both of you.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
That challenge sounds like fun Snapper.

Congrats Skadder and Brad.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Megagrats to the both of you. Sure, I'd be down for a contest.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations you two! And definitely count me in on any contest.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats again - I'm in, even though I already have a copy on order. I wonder how much it would cost to have it flown halfway around the world and signed by our two celebrities. - Robert?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
My 'final word' on Writers of the Future:

http://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/the-value-of-writers-of-the-future-looking-back-at-my-time-with-the-contest/

=^)

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody, please read my post, it literally says it all.

What a week! And what a book! Wow!

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveR
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for SteveR   Email SteveR         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great post, Brad. Thanks for writing it.
Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Fantastic job Adam and Brad. Congratulations!
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Philo has suggested something that has peeked one of our authors interest.

Adam Colston has offered to sign the winning copy for the hatrack contest (check the challenges forum). Brad would you be willing to do the same? We will have some logistical problems. Tracy will need to send it to one of you and they would have to send it to the other author, which in turn will need to send it to the winner.

Of course, this will require a lot of cooperation and a bit a faith on the reliabilty of two national postal services (as well as a bit of cash spread around), but winning a book with two future best selling authors signatures in it would be sweet.

johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of you!!!!
Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

How about this. Snapper is running the 'contest' right? Snapper, you send the book to skadder, who then sends it to me, and then I send it back to Snapper. Then snapper sends it to the winner.
skadder
Member # 6757

Ah, but the book is in Los Angeles with Tnwilz (Tracy). He picked up at the awards. The cheapest route is Tracy to Brad, then to me and then I will post it wherever.

But I'm easy. I have to send it (likely) overseas which ever way you cut it--I don't mind at all.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 01, 2010).]

skadder
Member # 6757

Or Tracy could send it to me and I'll send it to Brad?
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Just IM your address Adam and I will send it off on its long journey around the world.
skadder
Member # 6757

I've emailed it to you.
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks, John.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.