Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Space Math

Author Topic: Space Math
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I was writing a star travel story and found this resource. It is primarily for science fiction writers - there are articles and other links as well.

www.cthreepo.com/lab/math1.shtml

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely marvelous. Thank you.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell that calculator is accurate. Personally, I still prefer to calculate everything myself. Might be interesting to put something like this on my blog page.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited October 05, 2010).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
What an intriguing concept...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Not all the calculators seemed to work for me, perhaps because I use a mac (or am stupid).

I did note that they have a forum--where they post rejections slips! AND MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT THEM--including editor's names (although not the poster's name!).

http://forum.cthreepo.com/index.php?board=5.0

I consider that very unprofessional.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 07, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably a java script based calculator. I don't know how that works on Mac.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure, so I hope someone here can answer this question. It regards the website that skadder linked to. In a post he says that if an editor writes it in a letter then it is fair game (I am paraphrasing).

The way I understand copyright is if I write anything whether it is a story or just ramblings, that is copyrighted to me. If I send that story or ramblings to someone else, maybe like an editor to publish in a magazine, or just to my sister, that writing is still copyrighted to me.

So here is the question, if an editor sends me a rejection letter, isn't that letter copyrighted to the editor, and I shouldn't post it or try to sell it? Or maybe since he gives full credit to who wrote it, then the copyright doesn't apply?

Just something I was wondering when I read that post.

Thanks

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything that one writes is not automatically copyrighted. Otherwise, one would not have to acquire a copyright upon official publication. Even if something is copyrighted, a portion of it can still be reproduced as long as proper credit is given to the author. With those letters being as short as they are, I doubt a copyright could prevent someone from reproducing the entire letter as long as proper credit was given and there was no opportunity for profit.

When a significant portion of something is initially presented on the Internet in an open context, such as here, it can be considered first publication. This does not automatically copyright the piece, but instead provides support in proving authorship. The real problem arises when a publication does want to publish and copyright something, and they find out it is already available for free on the Internet.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Apparently, the administrator of Resources for Science Fiction Writers browses this site. He responded to your post, skadder.

Here was his response:
http://forum.cthreepo.com/index.php?topic=25.msg29#msg29

To be honest, I hadn't even noticed that he was posting rejection letters, or if I did, I moved on to something else of interest without thinking much about it. I do find it intersting that people find out what is being said here so often. What do they do - Google themselves or their sites every day? Or do you think they are regular but silent visitors?

DerekBalsam
Member # 8471

- posted      Profile for DerekBalsam   Email DerekBalsam         Edit/Delete Post 
Good find, useful for quick-and-dirty stuff. Usually I would work it all out myself anyway, but then I like math.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider it unprofessional because it is correspondence and not intended for publication.

If someone takes your correspondence and publishes, they may have a legal right to do so (I don't know the law), but I think the act is morally flawed-whether you dislike the comments or not.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 07, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.