Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF - What???

Author Topic: WOTF - What???
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the first time I started reading this forum I noticed mention of "WOTF" quarterly crit groups. To this day I am still not sure how it works, how to submit, what gets submitted, and anything else about it.

If anyone would like to fill me in, for my personal doh moment, I would appreciate it.

Also, this would be a good topic for anyone else who would like to know more about it.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
[raises hand]

Are we even allowed to post WOTF stories on HT?

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to "Hatrack Groups" on the main page and click on which WOTF quarter you are interested in. You then request to participate. The entries are critiqued through emails. Nothing specific is posted in this forum.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I thought about waiting for someone who has been a lot longer than me to respond but since I am the first here I will start. You may get some repeated responses and some that will explain things more throughly.

Some of the first posts in the WotF groups may explain what you are missing. To answer both of you, you get a critique by E-mailing the story to the person who is willing to crit it. Crit short for critique. On hatrack you only post the first 13 lines of a story or novel. There is a forum for short stories and another one for novels. Sometimes a person may post a very short excerpt they are having problems with but that is usually 13 lines or less also.

If you are still confused wait for one of the people who can explain things better. There are hatrackers who do a better job of that.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Ah, I found it.

Thanks philo and LDWriter2.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
PS if you also wanted to know how to submit to WotF

go to http://www.writersofthefuture.com
and click on the contest button, it's a page or two of rules but they're easy to understand.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

I know all about submitting to WOTF there's to know, I was just unsure whether or not WOTF stories get critiqued on HT (as it appeared not to be common practice).

MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, that helps.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
@foste I think the big thing is they don't want the judges knowing who wrote what. As long as your not putting the story up for the public to see you should be fine.

Here its just people emailing back and forth no different than if you have a live workshop where you live at looking at each others stories. Even on the WOTF forums a few people have asked about crit groups and some of the responses were to check out sites like hatrack and critters and other online workshops.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to post your first thirteen of your WotF story in the Fragments section, you can. Just make sure you don't say it's for WotF and don't post it with the official title that you're going to submit with.

As far as the WotF critique group, they're great. Each quarter we usually end up with two groups out of the one big one. For your first draft, you send it to everyone in your half of the group. For the second draft, you send to everyone in the other group. This way, you always have fresh eyes on the piece.

At the top of the posting for the crit group, there are dates, self-imposed deadlines that we try to follow. But if you can't make it, no one is going to stop you from sending it out for crit whenever you get it done. In fact, having it staggered sort of helps with the workload. So if the dates seem hard, don't sweat it too much.

And of course, plan on critiquing everyone else's stuff in return. That's where people finishing in a staggered manner sort of helps. But the feedback you'll get here is excellent. It also gives a wide range so you can get a clearer picture of how people are perceiving your piece. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The groups were started by those who are trying to enter every quarter until they win. Generally, one is started every quarter. They will post a thread for those who are in for that quarter, with the dates they are shooting for to have a first draft by. It doesn't seem to ever work out like it's planned, but you can usually get a 1st and 2nd draft critique if you get in early enough. People will tell you when they are ready to critique and when they are ready to be critiqued. Nothing to it.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What is HT?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
HT obviously refers to "Ha Track," which was Orson Scott Card's little in-joke in providing a "laugh track" to his Alvin Maker series.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.