Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » OSC suffers mild stroke

Author Topic: OSC suffers mild stroke
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
From the front page of Hatrack:
quote:
OSC suffered a mild stroke on Saturday 1 January 2011. He is now back home, retraining his brain so that the fingers of his left hand strike the keys he's aiming for. He will not be responding to most emails because his typing time must be devoted to finishing his fiction. But he is grateful for your good wishes and he promises not to die with any series unfinished.

For the foreseeable future, OSC will not make any public appearances or undertake any travel. Since his speech is unimpaired, he will still conduct radio and recorded interviews.

Scott, if you're looking at any of this, I wish you a speedy recovery and future good health. I think we all know that a little setback like this won't keep you down. Feel better.

And since we probably don't say it often enough; thank you for setting up such a wonderful resource in Hatrack. Lots of learning is going on thanks to you. And I thank you personally for last summer's Boot Camp in Utah. My writing has grown immensely since then. (Trina - Sandfishing)

Here's to you! Get well soon!

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostdog
Member # 9343

- posted      Profile for lostdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Please, take care and get well.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Get well soon!
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Our thoughts are with you. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I will add my well wishes too Mr. Card, in case you might read it. Only know you through some of your novels...I need to get the book on writing, but I appreciate this site a lot. Just might be the best writing site I've been on.

From what was stated on another thread I hope you still are suppose to make a full recovery.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Get well, soon.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card, I owe you a great deal for your fiction, this site, and writing advice you have provided over the years. Please take care of yourself. May your wife or children bring you a lime yogurt and listen to whatever stories you feel like telling (if that's not already a part of their routines).
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto!
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Our prayers are with you. You are truly an inspiration to aspiring writers.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
My best wishes on a full recovery, OSC. Your books remain near the top of my list for some of the best books I've read, and I hope and pray you'll have many years ahead of you of writing and guiding novice authors.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
A speedy recovery to you.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you a full and speedy recovery, Mr. Card.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes!
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and good thoughts for you and your family.
And thank you for all you do through this site and in your work.
Get well soon.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Get Well Soon.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if he doesn't read our well wishes here, he knows. He's been updating--as he can--on Facebook, and our sentiments here are multiplied there.

He'll be entertaining us for a long time yet.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I first discovered Orson Scott Card through audiobooks, which eventually brought me to Hatrack and later to one of his writers' camps. These efforts in helping aspiring writers have made an indelible difference in my own writing, and for that, I owe him immense gratitude.

Mr. Card, if you do read this, I hope your full health returns to you quickly and that you will take good care of yourself during your healing time. You have touched many lives for the better, and we look forward to you continuing to do so.

Chuck Moore

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Scott,

My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. I so enjoy reading your stories, and your great and persuasive articles as well.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
You've been a wonderful influence on my own writing endeavors, Mr. Card, and this site has been a Godsend in helping my writing bloom. I've enjoyed the comraderie and the people I've met here in the Writer's Workshop and can't thank you enough for creating this site that is the best writing forum online bar none.

Here's wishing you a full recovery with many great years ahead.

Ginger Karns

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to hearing that you've fully recovered.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Dear Mr. Card, as my ever correct wife has pointedly pointed out, 'Ditto' just will not cut it to express my best wishes for your speedy recovery. As a fellow LDS'er, I should know better (even if I was in a hurry).

So, after removing the splinters of the 2 X 4 she used on me to convey her point, I do pray for a speedy recovery for you and peace and strength for your family to be with you through this trying time in your life. This is all temporary, i.e., all things will pass.

God bless and Godspeed.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I will also add my well wishes and hope for a speedy and full recovery. We have a tradition of saying misheberach, a prayer for health, that I hope you will not object my including for you in my daily prayers.

May the One who was a source of blessing for our ancestors, bring blessings of healing upon Mr. Orson Scott Card, a healing of body and a healing of spirit. May those in whose care he is entrusted be gifted with wisdom and skill, and those who surround him be gifted with love and trust, openness and support in their care. And may he be healed along with all those who are in need. Blessed are You, Source of healing.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[This message has been edited by History (edited January 05, 2011).]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very sad to hear about this. You're a great inspiration to me, Mr. Card. I wish you the speediest of recoveries.

Jon

[This message has been edited by Gan (edited January 06, 2011).]

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
My best wishes for someone whose influence upon the field is staggering.

Nick T

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited January 06, 2011).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Think of the opportunity to retrain your brain any way you want! New brains for old, that's our motto.

Oh, and get well soonest.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

- posted      Profile for TaoArtGuy   Email TaoArtGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered myself a writer for a long time, but it wasn't until I came across your writings and took your class, Scott, that I really grew up as a writer. Not just from your fiction but in your reviews, essays, and acknowledgements, it seems like everything you write shepherds other writers. Your worldwatch essays once got me through a particularly hostile rhetoric class.

Heal.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
Please get well, and be careful.
Prayers and best wishes to you.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you a speedy recovery! Don't strain yourself.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, do get well. And finish the next Pathfinder book please!
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems he's keeping a good sense of humor about it. No surprise there. Here's the latest - from Uncle Orson himself.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2011-01-06.shtml

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Yeah, I just saw that movie. I guess I wasn't in the mood.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I too feel the thumping heartbeat when I reach down for something. Scary stuff.

So you are not only an inspiration for my writing, but for my health as well.

Here's looking forward to hearing you're back to full strength!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't this be in "Grist for the Mill"?

Best wishes to Mr. Card.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's fine here.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, rcorporon, but on the other hand, none of this would be here if it weren't for OSC.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cynicalpen
Member # 9378

- posted      Profile for cynicalpen           Edit/Delete Post 
At least he seems to be fairly optimistic and it was a "mild" stroke, on a scale of strokes.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.