Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Naming issue

Author Topic: Naming issue
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I am tearing my hair here.

Yesterday I finished my short story THE SHE-DEVIL and now as I am reading my beloved Heroes Fantasy Quarterly, what do I find?

A story which features a character named Galen. Just like my MC.

What should I do? I plan to send my story to HF so maybe I should change it...

Help...

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited January 15, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited January 15, 2011).]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd lose sleep over that one.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for J. N. Khoury   Email J. N. Khoury         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much so long as your MC isn't named Harry, Frodo, or Luke... who cares? If you were writing a novel, and another novel in the same genre had the same named MC that might be cause for more concern. With a short story, I wouldn't sweat it.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun fact: A boy named Harry Potter uses magic against an evil wizard in a 1986 movie called Troll.

Foste, you can find similar names (in origin, usage, or sounds) on Baby Names World. Heroic Fantasy Quarterly might assume that you don't read their recent issues, or that other Galen story might needlessly influence their reading of your story. If you can quickly find an acceptable replacement for your HF submission, then I suggest you do change it.

I wouldn't worry about changing the character's name for another market, though.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Lead time on an accepted story is long enough that it shouldn't be a problem. Meaning that you may have to wait months before you see your story in print once they buy it.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose you are all right. I just have the stupid feeling as if someone snatched the name right from under my nose.

Thanks!

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Factually, Galen was a Graeco-Roman physician of the second century.

Fictionally, Galen was the name of Peter Woodward's technomage character in the "Crusade" TV series (SF/F fans may be most familiar with this one).

There are writers called Galen Beckett, Galen Kindley, Galen Holcomb...

I wouldn't worry about it unless you genuinely want a unique name for your character, in which case come up with something, Google it, and repeat the cycle until Google is stumped

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
change a letter.

Instead of Galen, make it Galan or Galin or Galon. They are sound similar to the eye, less chance of being recognized. My spell check accepted Galen but not the other three. It must be a common, accepted name.

The worst worry would be if your story had the same plot situations as the story you read. Names are not a problem

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, my brother-in-law's last name is Galien.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not worry about it either for most of the reasons alread mentioned.

Besides how many people in real life share the same name.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Associations-with-the-name are quite a problem. Just yesterday I started a new story (more on that later in the next "Did You Write?" installment.) I was going to name my (female) lead character "Dana"---then couldn't get the (male) actor Dana Andrews out of my mind. I changed it to "Dane," of which said name associates in my mind with a (female) lead character in an old SF story, but, though I'm aware of other Danes (male, female, or subdivision-of-humanity), doesn't carry the same burden.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.