Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » MythCon, Anyone?

Author Topic: MythCon, Anyone?
J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for J. N. Khoury   Email J. N. Khoury         Edit/Delete Post 
I was considering attending the Mythopoeic Society's annual conference called MythCon. I don't know much about this particular conference or group, but since I'll be in the city where its taking place with little else to do, I was intrigued.

Anyone know anything about MythCon and can give an opinion?

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't been, but I subscribed to the Mythopoeic Society journal for quite a while.

If you are a fan of JRR Tolkien and/or CS Lewis, and are interested in a more-or-less scholarly approach to their work, I'd recommend your checking it out.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the one in Dallas? I looked it up and it seems that this is one of those conferences that visits several cities.

I am attending a similarly named conference called MystiCon in Roanoke, VA (my hometown) at the end of February. David Gerrold, who wrote "The Trouble with Tribbles", will be a featured speaker. Brinke Stevens will also be there, but I would have rather seen her about twenty years ago. An artist named Randy Asplund will also be speaking.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for J. N. Khoury   Email J. N. Khoury         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is going to be in Albuquerque in July, so I think it's something different. I read that Peter Beagle, Christopher Tolkien, Neil Gaiman, and Ursula K. LeGuin have been guest speakers there before, which has gotta count for something!
Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds really interesting. Go, J. N. Khoury. I think you'll be glad you did.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

Thanks, I think I might. Just hate to spend money when you're not sure what you're getting, you know?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Yeah, I know.

Have you been to any other SF/F conventions? I ask because I'm wondering if you know what to expect, and how this might be different from some of the others.

J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

I haven't, and I know this one is not a writing con per se, but I thought it might be worth a try since I will be in the area with nothing to do while its going on. I suppose I could spend money on worse things, and I am a HUGE fan of anything labeled Mythopoeic. I was hoping to hear a firsthand account of someone who may have more experience with it, though.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I think it's more of a scholarly conference, with papers presented instead of author panels (though there may be panel discussions).

A regular SF/F con has gaming, films, people walking around in costume, panels, a dealer's room, an art show, filking (people sitting around singing songs made up especially for SF/F fans), and it's all pretty casual.

According to this, it has some of the regular con stuff, but not all of them.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

If anyone here has been, I hope they speak up.

I'd recommend that you talk a friend into going with you, J. N. Khoury, because cons are always more fun if you know someone. But I really think you should go. (The more I talk about it, the more tempted I am to go, come to think of it.)

J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

Well I just found out my favorite English professor just so happens to be going. What fun! And thanks for the link, that clarifies things a lot for me. I hadn't seen that before. You should totally come! I'd love to meet you!
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been years--at least twenty, probably longer. Probably mid 1980's, actually.

There were at least a few author readings. (Marion Zimmer Bradley, I think.)

And I recall one writing workshop, although I couldn't begin to tell you who ran it. It doesn't seem to have made a great impression on my memory. Then again, I just may not have been ready for it, either.

The only other thing I recall is the auction. I bought my first Randal Spangler prints, there. In fact, I think that's where I was introduced to his art.

As it gets closer, you ought to be able to find some sort of schedule of what's offered.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.