Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » video that shows planets compared to the moon

Author Topic: video that shows planets compared to the moon
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
For any scifi writers trying to get a visual of how big some of our planets are compared to the moon, check out this video. I thought it was fun.

http://vimeo.com/19231255

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 05, 2011).]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat video. Can you imagine what the tides would be like?
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime you click on this site there is a different video.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What philocinemas said. I just clicked on it and saw that the video is about the year of the rabbit, not about the moon and planets.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Ok - I retitle this thread to" automatic writing prompt generator"

Sorry

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a very informative video on how to make glass eyeballs for eye-loss victims. I watched for a minute or two, trying to figure out how the planets fitted in - that would have been one big eye socket.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

...and one big glass blower!!!
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I've changed the title, based on your "suggestion," Wordcaster, but I'm still a little nervous about keeping the link (or even this topic) around, because there's no telling what video will be there when someone follows the link.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 05, 2011).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

http://vimeo.com/19231255 this is the specific link to the video originally posted.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

Kathleen,

If there is a fear of inappropriate or perhaps just irrelevant video links, feel free to do with this topic as you wish

My incompetence is exposed! (Or as my boss says, "my incontinence" -- no one has the heart to tell him he's thinking of the wrong word).

Thanks evoc for the correction.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Nah. I just edited your original post to show the correct link.

I'll go change the title again.

MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a similar video with different stars. It started with the Sun and then continued to ever larger stars found. The biggest star was all over the screen with the Sun as a tiny dot in the corner.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
That was neat, thanks for the link.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!

Lis

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty neat, although I wish they'd shown a few more of the planets.

I've got a story where the world is circling a gas giant, so it's a big part of the sky a lot of the time. Interesting to get perspectives on those sort of astronomical oddities.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a section of Carl Sagan's Cosmos that starts with something on Earth and zooms out until the whole of the known universe is visible.

Before that, in Clarke's The Lost Worlds of 2001, there's a description of a movie, "Man is the Measure of All Things," which starts out with Da Vinci's classic drawing of a man, and leaps out an order of magnitude several times, until it reaches the ends of the universe. I don't think it was ever filmed---the book consisted of what was cut from the novel of "2001,"---but it seemed to me at the time that the scene in Cosmos was inspired by it...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My incompetence is exposed! (Or as my boss says, "my incontinence" -- no one has the heart to tell him he's thinking of the wrong word).

Maybe not... does your brain leak?

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

I love Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Has anyone heard the Autotune song with Carl Sagan called "The Sky Calls to us"?
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

Just had a thought while I was watching an episode of Stargate.

If planets are all different sizes (not even close to earth) and same thing with stars, wouldn't aliens be completely different sizes too?

Perhaps it wouldn't make for great science fiction if Earth got attacked by aliens who left footprints as big as the Great Lakes. I am reminded of universes like Star Wars and Stargate where nearly every species they come across is somewhat related in size to humans instead of a futuristic Gulliver's Travels or Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

And then, gravity would be completely different on each planet in a given universe. I'm waiting for the episode of Stargate where they walk through and are knocked to the ground, unable to stand up under their own weight.

Sorry for my random drivel. Maybe I should save it for the next Star Trek convention (do they still have those?).

Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the whole concept of Stargate is that the universe was seeded by aliens, the Goa'uld, and those people the SG-1 team meet are all Human ancestors. That's why the planets and people are relatively similar. Works for the TV show/movie too.

[This message has been edited by Smiley (edited February 25, 2011).]

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.