Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How Long is a "Short Story"?

Author Topic: How Long is a "Short Story"?
elilyn
Member # 9426

- posted      Profile for elilyn   Email elilyn         Edit/Delete Post 
How long or short is typical for a short story? I have an idea for one, but just want an idea of what to shoot for so I can flesh out the story-line a bit more.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Without looking up one of the charts that can be found around the web, I'll say this:

Up to 1000 words - Flash Fiction
1000-5000 words - Definitely a short story and will fit in almost any short story market.
But technically, 1000-7500 words is considered a short story.
At 8000+ words you're in novelette territory

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
For the Hugo and Nebula Awards, the following word counts apply:
Short Story: up to 7499 words
Novelette: 7500 to 17,499 words
Novella: 17,500 to 39,999
Novel: 40,000 to infinity and beyond

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on your market, which means you should know your intended markets' submission guidelines.

But I'll agree with Genevieve--5000 words is imminently more sale-able than 7500 or 10,000, simply because the number of markets that will accept your story decreases exponentially as your word count rises.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Eric is old school, I'd thought I was the only one that would get a 2001 reference.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, wait - that wasn't a Toy Story reference?
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
There should be as many words in your story as there need to be to tell the story you want to tell.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Tchern is absolutely right. That said: I once wrote a 25K-word story that alpha readers helped me cut to 2.5K. That, as it turns out, was too short as told: I need either to rewrite or add to it. But my point here is that, when I wrote the 25K, I thought every single word was necessary. Turns out they weren't.

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to write a story within a certain word count. I think every story can be told many ways, some longer, some shorter, each with its own unique power and grace.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elilyn
Member # 9426

- posted      Profile for elilyn   Email elilyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your insight. I just wanted an idea so I could pace myself when writing. Seems like you all know your stuff.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine told me, 'When you write a story, start at the beginning and when you get to the end - stop.' I've always found that to be helpful.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.