Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Research

Author Topic: Research
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any web sites with realistic information on spacecraft propulsion? Not just the easy to find NASA stuff but the realistic but still theory stuff. What I'm trying to figure out is this. Let's say that a group of governments decided to fund a mission to the nearest system that may have a planet in the habitable zone. If enough money were thrown at cutting edge science, could we really achieve, say 50% the speed of light or better, making the journey maybe 15-20 years round trip? Crazy I know, but we all know there are people who would sigh up for it. Quite likely one or two reading this post I bet. I read a little about Laser Sails, anyone know about this?

Thanks in advance, Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Try the space propulsion guide. Information on Ion Drives, Solar Sails and Laser Propulsion systems.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, tnwilz, nice "seeing" you. To help answer your question, go to your local newstand and pick up this month's edition of Popular Science - there's a decent article that addresses this (over 4 full pages, not including pictures).

There was also an episode of The Universe a couple of years ago that addresses this. You might find it on YouTube. I have it, but that's not going to help you much.

Also, here is an article in Wikipedia that might point you in the right direction.

Good luck and don't be a stranger (in a strange land).

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited February 26, 2011).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I almost forgot - I also know of a website where you can get distance projections with time dilation factors based on speed - if your interested.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I'm interested -- would you post the link here, philo?
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.php
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Here you go: http://www.cthreepo.com/lab/math1.shtml

One thing to consider is that there is relatively no resistance in space, so once you get there, if you still have propulsion, you will be able to experience a constant increase in acceleration. I would suggest a fuel source that can be "scooped" (ionized atoms or particles), so that you don't have to stop and mine asteroids or planets. You will need a constistent supply of fuel for when you slow down or make tiny maneuvers to avoid objects; however, at close to the speed of light, I'm not sure how far you'd be able to see ahead - I read about that a long time ago, but I don't remember how that works. The Universe episode also addressed using something, maybe electromagnetism or even a gravity bubble, to keep from blowing up when you hit tiny objects.

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what the aim of your story is, but exceeding light speed is quite common in science fiction (often referred to as warp speed or other popular terms).

If you are writing about humans in the not-too-distant future, just go ahead and assume the 50%+ light speed is achievable -- it passes the suspension of disbelief. Fuel type and quantity becomes a barrier if you want to get technical (something I personally don't care to get into).

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, philocinemas! Duly bookmarked. Yum!
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to make trips outside the solar system within the reasonable lifespan of a human being, you sort of need to break the known rules of science. I wouldn't call it "warp speed" because everybody already associates that with Star Trek, but I think you're more than fine making up your own rules for space travel, at least so far as breaking the light speed barrier goes.

Most people I've read recently talk about some sort of "jump" where you don't really exist at any of the points in between where you are and where you want to go. Be careful about what the rules are for a jump, how it affects the people inside the ship, the immediate area outside the ship, and the constraints about where you can and can't jump, and you will be fine.

Fun things to think about with this method:

1. How do you prevent jumping into a star/planet/debris/etc?
  2. How do you even get where you want to go? Remember that "maps" as we think of them on Earth wouldn't be all that useful; planets and galaxies are constantly moving at very high speeds relative to one another. If Earth and Planet X are moving apart at 1/10 the speed of light, does it get progressively harder and harder to jump between them? Does it become impossible at some point?
  3. Does jumping effect the living organisms on board a ship?
  4. How close can you get to your target? Would you often have to fly the distance between Jupiter and Earth after you jump? You'd need quite a bit of fuel & speed to do that.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
If you want to make trips outside the solar system within the reasonable lifespan of a human being, you sort of need to break the known rules of science.

This is not true, mimcd. Due to the effects of time dilation, one can travel to a star 27 lightyears away, and back, at a graduated acceleration, topping at 99.999% the speed of light, and only age 13 years. Everyone else will have aged about 60 years. A one way trip would obviously only age a person 6 1/2 years. This was the whole premise of Ender's extreme age in Speaker for the Dead.

Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
# How do you prevent jumping into a star/planet/debris/etc?

I don't. My hyperspace field makes a rather large hole when it exits or enters realspace. Needless to say it's bad form to do so while still docked. It gets the insurance adjustors all in an uproar.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.