Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » rewrite requests

Author Topic: rewrite requests
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a short story that I submitted awhile ago to a semi-pro market. I got feedback asking if I would consider rewriting it and resubmitting it.

The part that two of the three editors didn't like was that I didn't tell the story linearly. It starts in the middle and goes back and forth between past and present until it finishes in one final end. the suggestion was to tell it straight and send it back.

Anyway, with what I've mentioned, you can see that this would basically be a rewrite. Would many of you do this? I don't know if I really want to go rehash a story I already wrote.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the real question should be, will changing the story to please the editors destroy the story you wanted to tell? If not, then I say rewrite it and submit it again (but save the original draft in case they still don't want to publish it).

If they went so far as to ask for a rewrite, the story idea obviously is something they liked.

I suppose it is only something you can decide. I would at least try to the rewrite.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do it if either A) I agreed with the feedback or B) I was certain it would sell the story (and the money was more than beans. three digits at least...)

If I didn't agree with it or didn't think the story would sell to them even if I did rewrite it to their request, then nope.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Evoc's first question but also it would depend on who they were. Semi-pro sounds nice but some pay more than others and some, at least for me, have better reps than others. Or I might decided to do a new story while keeping the old as is. Maybe change the names in the old one and/or some of the setting so it's not too much like the new one.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I would. I agree with what the others said, don't get rid of the way you have it now, but see how it works the other way. If you really don't like it that way don't resubmit it and send your original somewhere else. But you might like it that way. It is still an exercise worth doing.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not?

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any short stories brewing right now, so I see no reason why I can't write it linearly.

Perhaps my jumping back and forth experiment is one that is best tried only once. I wasn't doing it just to be clever -- the story has two chunks of action with space in between that needn't be told. It seemed like a good way to tell it at the time but hindsight tells me otherwise.

I like the premise of it, so maybe it will be worth doing so just to restore it to normal.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Rewrites are not commonly offered, in my experience. It is of course entirely within the author's purview to decide not to rewrite.

I've had one (pro-level) rewrite request that I haven't yet found a way to accomodate within my vision for the story. On the other hand I've gone through three rewrite cycles (and need to do a fourth) for a semi-pro market.

Ultimately, your choice. If you can be happy with the rewritten story, I see no particular reason not to.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you love the market? Will the changes be something you don't mind doing?

If the answer to these questions isn't yes, well, there's your answer in my mind. You'll write other stories that might fit the market better. And it's only semi-pro pay, so is it worth spending a ton of time fixing something you don't feel is broken? If you do feel it's worth it, then do it.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
A rewrite request is one step closer to publication. Nothing is guaranteed, just like there nstafl. Sometimes, the hardest part is to know when to come the party. Too early and you get bored with the setup; too near the end and you already know what is going to happen. Sometimes, you can get the best of both world (see: Gateway by Fredrik Pohl).

As you replied that you have nothing else on your plate, so do it! At worst, consider it an exercise. Remember, an editor is the gateway to your paying readers; give them what they want and they will promote you.

Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.