Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Westercon 2011

Author Topic: Westercon 2011
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I just discovered that Westercon (West Coast Science Fantasy Conference) is going to be in San Jose over the 4th of July weekend, just 10 miles from my house. Does anyone know anything about it? (Is it worth going to?) The website wasn't especially helpful, and I only recognized one or two of the participants.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a regional convention, EmilyS, so it will be bigger than a local con, but not as humongous as a Worldcon.

I'd strongly recommend that if you go, you take someone with you, because it can be pretty lonely if you don't know anyone. That's not as much of a problem at smaller, local cons, but it really helps at big cons to have a buddy along.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it could be interesting since I live only a few hours away but I recognized only one name. Haven't read too many of her books but I remember seeing a bunch.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to a SF con, so for me the decision would be simple.
I see it's $40 for a weekend day. Not bad in the con world.
Plus, it's 10 miles from your house. That's crazy close.

I don't believe the famousness of the name matters. You might see something cool, or meet someone awesome, or listen in on a panel of someone who is better at paneling than writing. Nothing wrong with that, if you're there to catch it.

Plus, there may be freebies. Books or pens or stress balls shaped like brains. (I've gotten several of these over the years... some things just can't be explained.)

If you have the time and money, go. Seems the benefits could far outweigh the cost in time and money.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia McKillip's been around for a long time in the fantasy genre and has a hatful of awards and nominations. The Foglios produce "Girl Genius", and Phil has done a hatful of comics and illustration work prior to that. They are pretty high-calibre guests.

If there was a con of this nature 10 miles from where I live, I'd go like a shot.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to Westercon a few times when it's been held in Los Angeles. It's a full-scale convention (when I went it was running about 1000 attendees, which is a nice size in my experience -- big enough to have plenty to do, small enough that you can find people who interest you), with the usuals for guests, panels, art gallery, dealers room, and most important, fan parties!! If it's that close and you can go...

GO!!!!!!!!

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
San Jose is only about an hour and a half from me. Maybe I will go, but I am supposed to move that weekend.

I was going to Worldcon, got a membership and everything but I lost my job so the hotel and such became out of reach. Oh well.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia is the writer I referenced.. I should have said who it was... and the vast majority of the others I don't recognize. But than again half of the judges in last quarter's WotF contest I didn't recognize either.

Still could be fun if it was a bit closer to me.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.