Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » One More Time... ? or !

Author Topic: One More Time... ? or !
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
In my WIP, the following dialog is said in emotional rage and at the most crutial point in the story. Everything hangs on it. I want to express that rage. It must be there strong and powerful. Most people would say it's a question instead of an exclamation and should have a question mark instead of an exclamation point. But if I do that, I'll lose all the power this piece of dialog must have to carry it off.

Comments?

“How can you say that after what he’s done!” Julie glared at the bloody pulp of Degan’s face and listened to him wheeze through a crushed nose.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the tone of the dialog and the surrounding context speaks for itself. This is a good thing. Use the question mark, the exclamation mark is implied.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternatively, it's not unknown to use both, with the question mark preceding the exclamation mark (or, if you really want to be cool/flashy/edgy/whatever, you can use the Interrobang - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang).
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I will second what genevive42 said.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with genevive. Alternatively, you can use the question mark in conjunction with a dialog tag.

"How can you say that after what he's done?" Julie screamed...

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I should've added that Degan's injuries are due to Julie beating on him. So her actions do define her rage.

And screaming is just not her style.

Right now I'm in favor of the question mark but enjoying everyone's comments .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Sound like a rhetorical question to me. Strictly speaking it probably should have a question mark but I would think a bit of artistic licence wouldn't go amiss. It certainly reads more urgently with the exclamation mark.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
How about both?

The question mark after "...say that" and move the rest of the dialogue to the end of the paragraph with an exclamation mark. IMHO, it gives pause and stronger drama.

Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with just the question mark. The angry tone of voice should be obvious from the dialog itself.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Degan's injuries are due to Julie beating on him. So her actions do define her rage

See, this is how good the line and set-up are. This is exactly what I assumed had happened in the scene.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The exclamation point has lost its power over the years, much like certain words you can't say on TV. I blame overuse. Also, I am of the opinion that I shouldn't have to wait till the end of the sentence to find out its tone. You really don't need it.

How dare you incite the interrobang‽

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken S
Member # 9010

- posted      Profile for Ken S   Email Ken S         Edit/Delete Post 
I say go with the question mark. Trust your reader to pick up the tone from the context and dialogue.

I would also try and keep it simple. If I'm reading something great...I tend to skip over stuff like "Julie screamed" because I already know she's screaming.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think the most important part is that the emotion you want *make sense*. If it is clearly the emotion the reader would imagine himself having in that situation, the reader will tend to read that into the situation without any help. Of course sometimes the character knows something that the reader doesn't yet, then the words and mannerisms have to carry that message.

I don't think relying on punctuation to convey feeling is a good idea; it's not really different than using adverbial modifiers on dialog tags (he said angrily), and considerably less clear. Use punctuation to convey the way the speaker is speaking. If the speaker is using a questioning tone of voice (rising in tone) then end in a question mark. If the speaker is using a loud tone of voice which invites no response, use an exclamation, or maybe a period. So in the passage, I'd suggest exclamation point.

This, I think, can be thought of as a kind of manifestation of "show not tell". Don't *tell* the reader the speaker is angry (by decorating dialog tags or some other such trick). If the description of the words, tone, and body language of the speaker doesn't convey what you need to convey, do more describing.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Since, it seems, almost everyone has joined in I figure I would add my thoughts even though I agree with a couple of people.

A question mark is okay since the emotion is there in other ways. There is no question that she is angry.

I would add though that I have been told by more than one critiquer that using both a ? and a ! is amateurish. I don't what editors think of it just what I have been told by more than two people.

I have heard in one interview by Lemoniny (Or whatever her-his name is) and read comments by other pros, that when it comes to dialogue, the best way is just to write She said, "...." Or Insert name said"...." and let the dialogue give the sense of emotion.

I think in your case it's shown already.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
To my eye there's a difference in tone.

“How can you say that after what he’s done!”
This is nearly shouted, there's anger behind it, but it doesn't seem to require a response. It's the speaker boiling over, not an answer being demanded.

“How can you say that after what he’s done?”
This puts a sense of a response-is-expected from the addressed party, and I hear it delivered in a less-strident tone.

“How can you say that after what he’s done?!”
This lies somewhere between the above in vehemence, and expresses mixed feelings on the part of the speaker.

“How can you say that after what he’s done!?”
This just doesn't work visually. Unsureness comes before demand, not after.

And if I encountered an interrobang in a printed work, I'd assume it was ?! as a printer error.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.