Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF...

Author Topic: WOTF...
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Some guy called Dustin Adams or something is a finalist this quarter. Anyone know him?
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget about Trina Marie Phillips!
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that dude... I'm wearing his underwear.

Ya, don't forget Trina. She and I are shooting for the rare combo you and Brad achieved.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of him, is he any good?
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
He's good, but she's a hack - doesn't stand a chance.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad I didn't enter. Sounds like terrible company.

Oh, and good luck to them both.

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited September 14, 2011).]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Well, hacks usually win, I hear...

Seriously good luck to you both.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!! I've got my fingers crossed for both of you.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's great! Good luck to you both!
Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope a hack can win, give me a shot one day.

BTW, take a look.

hatrack.

Hmmmm? Coincidence? I'm sure there's a conspiricy theory in there somewhere.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and good luck!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin and Trina?

That's fantastic! Congratulations on such an achievement. I really hope both of you snag a victory -- making my purchase of the next volume an even greater no-brainer.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
hatrack.

Hmmmm? Coincidence? I'm sure there's a conspiricy theory in there somewhere.

Perhaps, but if so it's been expertly suppressed...

anarresti
Member # 9614

- posted      Profile for anarresti   Email anarresti         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there have been some questions about the submission system. I received an e-mail today stating "Since this system is pretty new to us all, I thought I'd let you know that when you received the "thank-you for your submission" notice, that is your clue, that means you are in the computer and ready to be judged." So I guess I'm in for Q4 after all.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and good luck!!!!!
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
anarresti I received the same E-mail. Joni has a point but at the same time if I recall correctly and I may not, at least one person received the note she referenced but there was still no record of their story when they queried. So some people have wanted a definite "You are entered" E-mail.

Part of that may come from the fact that those who mail in a story get a "Your story is entered in Such and such quarter contest" postcard. So it's what they are used to not the short sentence they get when submitting Electronically.

And speaking of that I miss the bookmark WotF add. I didn't always get one but I have a small collection, which I use.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited September 17, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Axe and Genevive--congratulations to both of you!!! Too cool if you both make it in the same quarter.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations ^5

I'll order a signed copy...or is that too premature...

Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Teflonmail,

Definitely premature. I had two stories rejected yesterday. Sucked all the wind out of my sails.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Axeminster,
quote:
Definitely premature. I had two stories rejected yesterday. Sucked all the wind out of my sails.

I wouldn’t get too down about the rejections. I’ve received two rejections on the same story post WOTF (as you know) and I didn’t sell anything after my Q4 2010 finalist until the Q2 win (to be honest, that’s due to not submitting outside of WOTF, but I had some reasons for that).
I know for a fact that even Brad Torgersen, who has been steadily accumulating sales since WOTF, has had a few rejections and can’t get into certain markets at the moment.
All that a WOTF finalist tells you is that you have the talent. It doesn’t earn you sales, but it tells you you’re good enough to get them. No one gets a finalist without being good and it’s not a fluke.

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
No sign of my name anywhere, and I've heard nothing since the "thanks for your submission" response on July 1st. I suppose I can cling to soem faint hope that my entry got included for Q4 instead...

Congrats to the several names I recognise (and, hey, congrats to those I don't)!

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wannabe
Member # 9510

- posted      Profile for Wannabe           Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted back in April or May electronically. They said I was in. Never heard a word since. My name is definitely not on that list. Do they guarantee notice of rejection?
Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
You're supposed to get notification no matter how you place, but it sounds like quite a few people heard nothing at all this time around. At this point, all the HMs, semis and finalists have been announced. If you're not on the list, it was a rejection.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wannabe
Member # 9510

Is it possible it was put into the next quarter?
Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if you sent your story in April or May. That is smack in the middle of third quarter. If you're concerned about whether your story was received, you can e-mail Joni and ask.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wannabe
Member # 9510

Thanks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.