Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Snapper is in snapping distance... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Snapper is in snapping distance...
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
The semi-finalist position has been going strong for quite a while and it's the only category that receives a critique. I believe the general position of the contest is that a finalist story is generally a "pro-level" story. This is often true, as Marina has demonstrated quite ably with her IGMS story.
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick T:
The semi-finalist position has been going strong for quite a while and it's the only category that receives a critique. I believe the general position of the contest is that a finalist story is generally a "pro-level" story. This is often true, as Marina has demonstrated quite ably with her IGMS story.

Aw, thanks Nick.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick T:

I kinda assumed that if SFs got one so would finalists even though I didn't think they needed one because they were already pro-level so in that case I would think there would be a good chance they would sell to someplace else, which includes the three here.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to sell something "pro".
Or semi-pro.
Or to sell something. [Wink]

My naive reasoning after writing my first novel was to build some pro-cred with short story sales to possibly draw the attention of a capable agent for my proposed novels.

Now nearly three years later... >sigh<

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Bob, I know you tend toward longer stuff, but consider writing a few flash length stories. The flash market is pretty good and you've proven you're at pro level.

I've got five sales, all flash, one pro. Was a huge relief to get it, let me tell ya.

If I had more ideas, I'd be cranking out the flash.

For as much as we study the craft, and we're told to write, write, write... coming up with ideas is just as necessary, just as much a test of a person's talent as actually constructing the story. Sadly, I'm sorely lacking in the idea construction department. It's my Achilles leg.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, axe.

After my novel, I wrote and sold two flash pieces back-to-back in rapid succession.
E.g. http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbwriters/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=004168;p=0&r=nfx#000000

I thought "Hey! This short stuff is easy." (oy!)

I then went on to write longer speculative fiction since I agreed with a published fantasy author who stated: "Your writing skills weren't as obvious in the flash fiction--clearly you could tell a story, but the style was necessarily more streamlined."

I do prefer the longer short form, more room to play and have fun, but I've been stuck here ever since.

Flash is like a "quickie". [Wink] At my age, I prefer something a bit more.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.