Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writer's of the Future trigger challenge

Author Topic: Writer's of the Future trigger challenge
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a few members ask me about the when, what, how, and if of this years challenge.

This year we're going all out. I am working on a prize that will surpass our past prizes. Don't have any judges yet, but a copy of the antho will be the minimum we will have for a prize.

Last year Ms Birch's story in our contest was named as a finalist in the WotF contest. Several stories over the years found homes in the publishing world, so the quality of work this in house contest generates is top notch. So everyone get set.

All I have is a trigger for the contest, Twelve Seconds. What ever you come up with that trigger is up to you. The only restriction is you cannot plagiarize Tina Smith's winning story (very unlikely, so don't worry about it).

I am open to suggestions on when and how long the contest should run. Help on a word count ceiling would be appreciated. I am leaning toward 4000 words - remember, reading and judging your fellow contest-ies is required for this contest - so you let me know. More? Less?

I'll post for more information as soon as I get some.

Added note for She Who Must Be Obeyed

Thank you for moving the previous post to the other thread but Grist for the Mill is way too low brow for Nick - and that will be the only time I will mention him in Writing Discussions (unless he goads me - hard to ignore a natural goader like him).

To the rest of you...

Last year, we produced a finalist in the contest from our trigger challenge - lets do better this time. With a new coordinating judge, the contest has become wide open. The prejudices and allowances KDW had, Dave does not. This years antho doesn't even have the token Australian previous anthologies had - very unusual.

Looking for opinions and insights!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I could put my hand up for the position of token Aussie.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
David Wolverton, I've noted, has his own subjective preferences. He's longer on craft and shorter on storytelling of the raconteur manner: more action-adventure, less summary and explanation, and more fantastical motifs, for a few differences between him and Ms. Wentworth.

Wolverton's not as averse as a visceral reaction to any use of the term "orb" either, and metaphorical "stygian" and "obsidian" usages. I wonder if Wolverton has a word or term that he's as especially loathe to read. He's not as fond of Golden Age rivet-and-chrome plausible science and technology science fiction, though, for which Wentworth had a powerful passion.

Wolverton favors conflict resolution outcomes, classic Aristotlean comedy. Wentworth's strongest reading preferences were for tragically beautiful outcomes, classic Aristotlean tragedy, though she rarely encountered them as coordinating judge.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper,

I'm happy to act as a final judge again, if only to violently disagree with your opinions, ideas and continued existence.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
I want in! I do! I do!

What are we doing again? [Wink]

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Good news! I have elicited the help of this years Gold Award Winner - Tina Smith. She has agreed to act as the finalist judge for the competition, as well as providing us a signed copy of the latest anthology

Writers of the Future Vol 29.

So once again, put on your thinking caps. This years trigger will be Twelve Seconds, and we have a tentative word count ceiling of 4000 words (any objections?).

The official start will be coming soon but if you want in, you will be expected to help judge and crit. The contest gets a fair amount of participants, but not to worry. The work load will not be that great.

It will be an anonymous competition. The primary goal is to get you to write and to receive some valuable critiques.

Past WotF trigger contest entries went on to be published. It may be the most successful challenge that has been throw at hatrack.

So get ready. The game is on!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snapper:
Good news! I have elicited the help of this years Gold Award Winner - Tina Smith. She has agreed to act as the finalist judge for the competition, as well as providing us a signed copy of the latest anthology

Writers of the Future Vol 29.

So once again, put on your thinking caps. This years trigger will be Twelve Seconds, and we have a tentative word count ceiling of 4000 words (any objections?).

The official start will be coming soon but if you want in, you will be expected to help judge and crit. The contest gets a fair amount of participants, but not to worry. The work load will not be that great.

It will be an anonymous competition. The primary goal is to get you to write and to receive some valuable critiques.

Past WotF trigger contest entries went on to be published. It may be the most successful challenge that has been throw at hatrack.

So get ready. The game is on!

Just one thing, well two.

4,000 is good for a work load the challenge but would is this too short to be good for the contest?
(Redid this sentence because it didn't come out the way I pictured it)

Second that is a very nice prize but this year they have calendars also,

I had myself pretty much talked into participating because of the prize even before I knew Tina would sign it, but I was reminded of something yesterday so I changed my mind.

Have fun Should be quite a few good stories here.

[ April 26, 2013, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering about the timeline: how long do I have to come up with a viable idea and submit a first draft?

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Good question, Grumpy. Looking for input on that. I am considering making the deadline at the end of May.

Will that work for you all?

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
A month for 4000 polished words?
Sounds good.

That's cool of Tina to do. She is awesome.

I'm in. Now, need to start thinking of a story.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

I've already got the milieu worked out and what the Twelve Seconds refers to. However, like axeminister, I still have to come up with a story. [Cool]

Phil.

snapper
Member # 7299

The contest has officially opened!

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbwriters/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000227;p=0&r=nfx

snapper
Member # 7299

bump
snapper
Member # 7299

bump
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's the deadline!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.