Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Opening of "Vanquish Azrael" a sci-fi novel.

Author Topic: Opening of "Vanquish Azrael" a sci-fi novel.
WetherbyOwl
Member # 4967

- posted      Profile for WetherbyOwl   Email WetherbyOwl         Edit/Delete Post 
For now, just some feedback on these lines would be fine.

-. . . Opening E-mail . . .-
- . . . Displaying . . .-

To: StarkE.@NET/AUTHORITY/FEDBRNCH/SEC.gov

Target is coming. You cannot fail.

-Connection Aborted-

Down a cold and darkened hallway a scientist stood alone, waiting.
The lobby was plain, yet spoke of considerable wealth. Marbled floors, white walls. Austere lamps highlighted an enormous chandelier hanging from the ceiling. No carpets. All straight lines and clean cut architecture. All white.
The serene silence was broken only by the slow ticking of the clock and the low chatter of the secretary’s keyboard.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's view on cinematic POV: cinema does it so well. But what print can do for us is get us into people's heads. Writers may be tempted to start cinematically, but it'll usually work better if instead they go deep into someone's POV.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening email badly shook my interest and presented serious plausibility issues. The remainder didn't work for me.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColinCohen
Member # 4945

- posted      Profile for ColinCohen   Email ColinCohen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the e-mail -- I think you should just start with "Down a cold and darkened hallway . . ." and then add something that will suck us in.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WetherbyOwl
Member # 4967

- posted      Profile for WetherbyOwl   Email WetherbyOwl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I'll try a re-write and post it in a day or two.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.