Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » opening paragraph (fantasy novel)

Author Topic: opening paragraph (fantasy novel)
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
In his book Orson says that the first paragraph is free, I've seen that expression quoted on this forum a few times. In quite a few books I've read they start off with a paragraph that isn't in the same POV as the rest of the book. I thought I'd post a paragraph I was thinking of using at the start of my WIP and see what you all thought of it. I'm as much interested in comments about whether opening with a paragraph like this is a good idea as I am in critique on the paragraph itself. Incidentally the rest of the novel is being written in 3rd person with two POV characters.

The sun disappeared below the horizon and darkness fell on the planet. However, the black of night was short lived, soon two moons appeared in the sky. First to appear was the smaller one which shone red swiftly followed by the larger which was a pale yellow. They shed beams of conflicting colour on the surface below. Since the creation of the world these two had waged an endless battle night after night, but the battle of their lights was merely a reflection of something else. For since the beginning of time the two gods of this world had played the game of war, with the inhabitants of the planet as their pieces. It was an endless contest between two equally matched combatants, and the only losers were those mortals whose lives it claimed.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.
  • There are some grammar issues. There are some commas missing.
  • Colors don't conflict as light, they blend. Even opposite colors mix. The key is that they are light. Most of the time, when opposite colors mix they become muted. From using different color lights for photography, I can tell you that they don't appear as two separate colors. Unless an object blocks one beam from another (dual lighting), they will mix. If they are blocked, then the light plays on the object from each side in a different color.
  • For[,] since the beginning of time[,] the two gods...played the game...inhabitants...as their pieces. Does this sound cliche to you?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 24, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • discipuli
    Member # 3395

- posted      Profile for discipuli   Email discipuli         Edit/Delete Post 
    the passage is a bit cliched and could be better worded .
    Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    MrsBrown
    Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
    Discipuli, could you suggest something constructive to help make it better?

I thought the “free” part is supposed to be the first sentence, not the first paragraph. Am I wrong, folks?

If you want to keep the free opening, I suggest starting with the last two sentences (and maybe condensing them down to one). Then tie it into a scene and setting, preferably introducing the MC (main character).

Its fine to let us know this world has two moons and what color they are, as a start to setting the scene, but I would suggest that they not be directly linked to the gods, unless there IS a direct link that you care to explain.

Here are your sentences rearranged, with suggested deletions in [brackets]:

[For since the beginning of time] the two gods of this world [had] played the game of war, [with the inhabitants of the planet as their pieces. It was] an endless contest between two equally matched combatants, and the only losers were those mortals whose lives it claimed.

The sun disappeared below the horizon [and darkness fell on the planet]. [However, the black of night was short lived, soon] two moons appeared in the NIGHT sky. [First to appear was] the smaller one [which] shone red swiftly followed by the larger which was a pale yellow. [They shed beams of conflicting colour on the surface below. Since the creation of the world these two had waged an endless battle night after night, but the battle of their lights was merely a reflection of something else.]

The transition is clunky (nonexistent), but I didn’t want to mess with it any more than I have
    You need a comma after “red”. I added NIGHT.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    wbriggs
    Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
    OSC does say the first paragraph is free.

The sun disappeared below the horizon and darkness fell on the planet. However, the black of night was short lived, AND soon two moons appeared in the sky. [PARAGRAPH.] First to appear was the smaller one which shone red swiftly followed by the larger which was a pale yellow. They shed beams of conflicting colour on the surface below. Since the creation of the world these two had waged an endless battle night after night, but the battle of their lights was merely a reflection of something else. [HUH?] For since the beginning of time the two gods of this world had played the game of war, with the inhabitants of the planet as their pieces. It was an endless contest between two equally matched combatants, and the only losers were those mortals whose lives it claimed.

This paragraph could be improved by a little rearrangement:

Since the beginning of time the two gods of this world had played the game of war, with the inhabitants of the planet as their pieces. NEITHER EVER WON, AND the only losers were those mortals whose lives it claimed.

I was going to say then we can get into the stuff about the moons...but maybe not. The problem with the moon stuff for me was just that I didn't have a reason to care. If this were a movie, it would make a beautiful scene for opening credits, but since we can't actually see it, I think you'd do better to skip it.

So I think maybe telling us that the two gods play this war will be enough background, and then we can get to in-the-moment action.

A note about "first paragraph is free": yes, you can violate POV in paragraph 1 if it helps. Does it help? Maybe. Depends on what's about to come next.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    DebbieKW
    Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
    Minor nit:

quote:
    The sun disappeared below the horizon and darkness fell on the planet.

Darkness doesn't fall on a PLANET except, perhaps, during an eclipse. One side of a planet is always facing the sun and is therefore in the light.

I don't have anything new to add besides that.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    InarticulateBabbler
    Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
    Following wbriggs's train of thought:

From (planet's name's) creation, (name and name) warred against each other in the night sky. The two gods were equals, so only the mortals ever suffered. (First God's Name) lent his/her name to the swift, red moon that rose first. The second, bearing (Second God's name) was much larger and pale yellow.

(MC) wandered (the terrain) in the mottled light of the dual moons.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Max Masterson
    Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
    Thank you for all your comments. babbler's last post seems to me to be what I was trying for, but I think briggs is right about not needing the moons. I do tend to think of my opening scene as a visual thing (probably from watching so many movies) but my only purpose in having this paragraph was to let the reader know that the novel is actually about a fight between the two gods using champions. I know this in itself is a cliche idea but I'm hoping the way i use it won't prove to be too cliche.

thanks again.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.