Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Fantasy Novel: BirthSong

Author Topic: Fantasy Novel: BirthSong
ValleyPastor
Member # 5467

- posted      Profile for ValleyPastor   Email ValleyPastor         Edit/Delete Post 
The single silver note filled the workshop, sweetly shattering the stone silence of Jarom the luthier’s life for the first time in eight years. His breath caught in surprise at the unexpected but hungered for sound and his hands trembled so that he nearly dropped the newly strung kytaara. The thought of the instrument splintering on the stone floor and returning him to his deafness brought a knot in his gut and a cold sweat to his brow. He cradled it to his chest securely but tenderly, warming it like a lover or a mother with her newborn babe, his fingers gently tracing the graceful hardness of its perfect rock-maple neck and the smoothly polished curves of its body, eyes delighting in the intricate abalone vine-and-grapes inlay on the scalloped ebony fretboard and the sensuous contrasts of the deep-grained rosewood

First 13 of a fantasy novel in progress (at 25k words now). The protagonists are Jarom, a crafter of musical instruments who was cursed with deafness due to pride, and Adharine, A blind young woman, sold by slavers as a prostitute, who discovers she can sing. Comments on the 1st 13 are welcome, and I can send more.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say first, your summary intersted me.

As for My take:

quote:

The single [silver<--I can't picture a color note] note filled the workshop, sweetly shattering the stone silence of Jarom the [luthier’s<--it seems this title should be capitalized. Unless I mis-perceived it.] life[,] for the first time in eight years. His breath caught [in surprise<--not necessary, it's redundant in light of the next three words.] at the unexpected [Unexpected What?] but hungered for sound and his hands trembled so that he nearly dropped the newly strung kytaara. The thought of the instrument splintering on the stone floor and returning him to his deafness [brought<--suggest you substitute with: left, it clarifies past tense.] a knot in his gut [and a cold sweat to his brow<--unecessary]. He cradled it to his chest securely but tenderly, warming it like a lover[<--suggest you choose one metaphor-->] or a mother with her newborn babe[. H]is fingers gently trac[ed] the [graceful hardness of its<--too many descriptive words tend to muddle it. You don't need them, you set the feel accurately enough without them.] perfect rock-maple neck and the smooth[,] polished curves of its body[. H] eyes delight[ed] in the intricate abalone vine-and-grapes inlay on the scalloped ebony fretboard[. T]he sensuous contrasts of the deep-grained rosewood

If you clean-up some of the adjectives, adverbs, and participles, I would be totally emersed. The hook -- returning him to deafness -- is almost lost on the description. However, I like the emersion into PoV. Excellent! After a little cleaning, I would read on.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 21, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sesavage
Member # 5494

- posted      Profile for sesavage   Email sesavage         Edit/Delete Post 
IBs suggestions are solid; I would add only that the alliteration you've got going in this sentence:
quote:
The single silver note filled the workshop, sweetly shattering the stone silence

is rather distracting. How about: "The single note filled the workshop, shattering the silence."

I'm interested in this story and would definitely read more.

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lolo
Member # 5361

- posted      Profile for Lolo   Email Lolo         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this beginning. I agree with the previous suggestions. I would add that the 'silver' sound made me think of a bell, so that when you mentioned the stringed instrument I was confused. Also, you mention that Jarom thinks that if the instrument breaks, his deafness will return. I'm wondering if he can only hear this instrument, or if this one sound cures his deafness and opens his ears to all the other sounds? This doesn't necessarily all need to be in the first 13, but I'd want it to be made clear fairly quickly. It was a good hook, though; I'd definitely keep reading. I'll read the first chapter if you want; just email it to me.

Laura

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZellieBerraine
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for ZellieBerraine           Edit/Delete Post 
snicker...oh, alliteration in that first sentence. I like the word choice, very vibrant.

"unexpected but hungered for sound" - kinda awkward wording.

He's a lute maker/player but he hasn't played in 8 years?

He cradled it to his chest securely but tenderly, warming it like a lover or a mother with her newborn babe, his fingers gently tracing the graceful hardness of its perfect - Seperate this into two sentences at the comma.

like a lover or a mother with her newborn babe - I'd pick one image or the other instead of both.

body, eyes delighting in the intricate abalone vine-and-grapes inlay - Again, two sentences. (hehe, I do that ALL THE TIME...everything is part of the same thought so I hate "ending" it with a period")

FANTASTIC description. You've got the colors, shapes, textures, everything!

The phrasing is very smooth.

I'm not sure what is coming next, but the sample so far tells me that I'm going to enjoy the writing style.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first sentance. Maybe you could just break it down to littler chunks so it reads easy, but I really liked this bit. My suggestions? like this:

The single silver note filled the workshop, sweetly shattering the stone silence. It was the first time in eight years that Jarom the luthier had been allowed to hear it(OR "SINCE HIS CURSE HAD BEEN PRONOUNCED). His breath caught in surprise at the sound he had hungered for for so long, but never expected to hear again. His hands trembled so that he nearly dropped the newly strung kytaara.

maybe having a parallel between "mother" and "lover" is a little odd, but i knew what you meant both times. how about the way a freezing man hold a cup of coffee or a drunk cradles his first drink of the day? or a conisuier?? gently warms the snifter of brandy with loving hands?
later

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
The single silver note filled the workshop, sweetly shattering the stone silence of Jarom the luthier’s life for the first time in eight years.
Yah, that's just waaay too many "s". Plus three of them are adjectives and you've got an unnessesary adverb in there. I say, simplify.

IE: A single note filled the workshop, shattering the unending silence Jarom had known.

Next sentence can describe the note (this would be a very important description if it's the first thing he's heard in 8yrs.

I picked out all the adverbs for you:

quote:
His breath caught in surprise at the unexpected but hungered for sound and his hands trembled so that he nearly dropped the newly strung kytaara. The thought of the instrument splintering on the stone floor and returning him to his deafness brought a knot in his gut and a cold sweat to his brow. He cradled it to his chest securely but tenderly, warming it like a lover or a mother with her newborn babe, his fingers gently tracing the graceful hardness of its perfect rock-maple neck and the smoothly polished curves of its body, eyes delighting in the intricate abalone vine-and-grapes inlay on the scalloped ebony fretboard and the sensuous contrasts of the deep-grained rosewood

All of them can be dropped, I'd say. The action or thought pattern usually says enough, you don't need the adverbs.

Hope this helped.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ValleyPastor
Member # 5467

- posted      Profile for ValleyPastor   Email ValleyPastor         Edit/Delete Post 
Updated 1st 13:

The single note filled the workshop, shattering the utter silence of Jarom the Luthier’s life for the first time in eight years. His breath caught at beauty of the unexpected yet hungered-for sound and his hands trembled so that he almost dropped the newly strung kytaara. The thought of the instrument splintering on the stone floor and returning him to his deafness left a leaden knot in his gut. He cradled the instrument to his chest securely but tenderly, warming it like a mother with her newborn babe, his fingers gently tracing the graceful hardness of its perfect rock-maple neck and the smooth, polished curves of its body. His eyes delighted in the intricate abalone vine-and-grapes inlay on the scalloped ebony fretboard and the sensuous contrasts of the deep-grained rosewood brought out by the wavering lamplight.

All were right about the alliteration at the beginning, and I cleaned up some of the adverbs, but not all. I went to one metaphor on the "lover" "mother" part, but I'm not sure there. Each one brings something different about his feeling toward the instrument.

LOLO: The instrument is, at this time, the only thing he can hear. Different sounds will return one at a time, and are important for the progress of the story. This is explained later in the first chapter. I will mail you the chapter. Thanks for volunteering.

Deb: Coffee wouldn't work. It's a drink native to South America, which this isn't. As for the drunk, I'd rather have more positive associations. lol

Pixydust: TY I did remove or change some of the adverbs, but some, I think, still help. Even you had to use one ("usually") to make your last sentence say what it needed to.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

The single note filled the workshop, shattering the utter silence of Jarom the Luthier’s life[,] for the first time in eight years. His breath caught at beauty of the [unexpected<--we knew it was unexpected yet] hungered-for sound[. H]is hands trembled so that he almost dropped the newly strung kytaara. The thought of the instrument splintering on the stone floor and returning him to his deafness left a leaden knot in his gut. He cradled the instrument to his chest securely but tenderly, [warming<--did you mean that it was cold? Suggestion: cradling] it like a mother with her newborn babe[. His fingers gently trac[ed] the [graceful hardness of its<--needed?] perfect rock-maple neck and the smooth, polished curves of its body. His eyes delighted in the intricate abalone vine-and-grapes inlay on the scalloped ebony fretboard and the sensuous contrasts of the deep-grained rosewood brought out by the wavering lamplight.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 25, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the unrevised first line much, muuuuuch better. When you're talking about music, you want to be descriptive; you want those details. And I get a very firm sensory image when you say a "silver note". I know exactly how I would imagine a "silver note to sound, and I think it's very evocative.

As to the alliteration, I think that a couple s's could go, but certainly some alliteration is acceptable.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
i liked the contrast between the silver note and the stone silence

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He cradled the instrument to his chest securely but tenderly, warming it like a mother with her newborn babe, his fingers gently tracing the graceful hardness of its perfect rock-maple neck and the smooth, polished curves of its body.
I promise, I'm not trying to be annoying about this, but I challenge you to cut these adverbs.

This is the thing is, an adverb is usually a symptom of a weak verb.

Like this:

Eric set the cup forcefully on the table.

Eric slammed the cup on the table.

or to make it more colorful:

Eric slammed the cup on the table with a loud crack.

Then there's times when you have the right verb, but you put an adverb anyway, thinking it's adding, when really all its doing is weakening the prose.

Watch your sentence:

He cradled it to his chest...

The "cradled" conveys the tenderness. The verb is telling us how he held it--it's a good strong verb. The adverbs only taking away from that by adding more for the reader to have to think about and process. And also, The "securely" is implied when you mention he is afraid of dropping it.

The you say:

...his fingers gently tracing...

You've implied the tenderness, and the love he feels for this instrument, you don't want to be repetitive--this is what this adverb, "gently", does. It's only repeating something you've already said, just in a different way. When he's "tracing" I see that he'd do it gently. You don't have to tell me that.

Noah Lukeman explains it really well in his book, "The First Five Pages". Chapter 2 is all about adjectives and adverbs. The whole book is excellent, though. I still go back and skim through it sometimes.

And I think our Bold Babbler found some good points too. I second his post.

Hope this helps a little more.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Like several others, I like the first sentence better with a description of the single note, but I also can't imagine what a 'silver' note is. The only images I come up with are clearly not the ones you're trying to convey. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact I used to play a stringed instrument. *shrug* Perhaps you could describe the note with a different word, like: sweet note, shimmering note, some-non-S-word note. Heck, if you used 'golden note,' I'd figure that you are referring to how precious the note sounds to him plus imagine a feeling of warmth to the note. So think about using another word. I like 'utter silence' just fine, by the way.

I second pixydust on getting rid of those three adverbs. They aren't needed and only slow things down.

Babbler makes some good points about the new version (as always), but I'd say that I, at least, didn't know that the note was unexpected--in this version. We know that he hasn't heard anything in years, but he could have known that this instrument would break the silence. I like the qualifier that it was unexpected.

Just my opinions.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ValleyPastor
Member # 5467

OK Here's try 3:

The single [golden] note filled the workshop, shattering the stone silence of Jarom the Luthier’s life for the first time in eight years. His breath caught at beauty of the unexpected yet hungered-for sound and his hands trembled so that he almost dropped the newly strung kytaara. The thought of the instrument splintering on the stone floor and returning him to his deafness left a leaden knot in his gut. He cradled the instrument close to his chest, warming it like a mother with her newborn babe. Gentle fingers traced the graceful hardness of its perfect rock-maple neck and the smooth, polished curves of its body. His eyes delighted in the intricate abalone vine-and-grapes inlay on the scalloped ebony fretboard and the sensuous contrasts of the deep-grained rosewood brought out by the wavering lamplight.

After going back and forth, I'm leaning toward my original "stone silence."

Golden is in brackets, because im not sure. another possibility I'm looking at is: "Like a ray of silver moonlight, the single note . . . " or something like that.

Adverbs are gone.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

My take,

quote:

The single [golden] note filled the workshop, shattering the stone silence of Jarom the Luthier’s life for the first time in eight years. His breath caught at beauty of the unexpected yet hungered-for sound and his hands trembled so that he almost dropped the newly strung kytaara. The thought of the instrument splintering on the stone floor and returning him to [his<--don't need.] deafness left a leaden knot in his gut. He cradled the instrument close to his chest, [warming it<--Don't need.] like a mother with her [newborn<--only need one-->babe]. Gentle fingers traced the graceful hardness of its perfect rock-maple neck and the smooth, polished curves of its body. His eyes delighted in the intricate abalone vine-and-grapes inlay on the scalloped ebony fretboard[.<--Need a mental breather. Suggest:T]he sensuous contrasts of the deep-grained rosewood [were] brought out by the wavering lamplight.

I'd be willing to read on.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 28, 2007).]

ValleyPastor
Member # 5467

Not all babes held by mothers are newborn. As a daddy of 9, there is a special feeling to the newborn, even if you've held eight others.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

No, but all Newborn's are babes.

Likewise, Babe is a baby. When he cradles it like a baby (though it's really an instrument), it doesn't matter whether he cradles it like a newborn or a babe, but newborn babe sounds redundant. To me.

That's what I was saying. And, that is why I called it a NIT.

Anyway, that's My take. <shrug> Take it or leave it.

PS - I'm a Daddy of four. I know what you're talking about.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 28, 2007).]

nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a good idea I think, but there seems an awful lot about the guitars - it almost reads like a cut from a guitar sales catalogue. I wanted to know more about the MC. The details of the guitar can be sprinkled in while the story moves forward. The MC has my immediate attention and I'm curious as to why he went deaf and then suddenly regained his hearing. Think you could cut some adv. and adj.'s also.

"smoothly polished" - redundant

"graceful hardness" This grates on me. Why not something like
"graceful lines"

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
The interaction sounds more like a lover than a mother with child. With that choice in mind, it actually sounds a little incesestuous to me, to use the mother-child angle!

I have no problem at all with a silver note.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ValleyPastor
Member # 5467

MrsBrown: "The interaction sounds more like a lover than a mother with child. With that choice in mind, it actually sounds a little incesestuous to me, to use the mother-child angle!"

Which is why I'm still not sure about dropping one of the similes. There are elements of both in his feeling toward the instrument. It is his "baby," the result of his labor, and there is a protectiveness there. Yet, in his deafness, the pleasure its sound brings is better expressed by the "lover."

[This message has been edited by ValleyPastor (edited May 30, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.