Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Three quarters of the Triangle

Author Topic: Three quarters of the Triangle
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Re-write further down.

This is the beginning of a fantasy series for girls aged eight and above. I've only gotten chapter one and a page or so of two done. Any comments would be welcome. It was read by a couple of gilrs in the age group it was intended for and recieved well, but I'd apreciate any thoughts. It's about three girls who discover they have magical powers. This scene, in fact the whole first chapter is set evelen years ago and sets up the series. I'd like to know if it's worth continuing. Thanks for any comments. Any readers of Ch1 (4400 words) would be very apreciated.

The pavement sparkled with frost and left a crust on car windscreens. Black ice lay in wait for foolish late night travellers. In windows, twinkled many-coloured lights. Happy Christmas flashed red and white; to send joy and seasons greetings into the cloudless night.

Matthew held tight onto their hands. The sharp wind stung their faces, little hands were red raw and frozen.

“Where are we going daddy?” she asked. She looked up with round, blue eyes; water streamed down her cheeks.

He looked down at his daughter. Ten minutes earlier, he’d hurried them into their overcoats and pushed Barbie Wellingtons onto their tiny feet. In his haste, he had forgotten to pick up their gloves and scarves.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited August 18, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
The pavement left a crust on car windscreens?

Maybe you should replace "and" after "frost" with something like "that also"?

Also, I'd put the part about the little hands being red raw and frozen right after the hands are mentioned in the first place. Something like:

quote:
Matthew held tight onto their hands, red raw and frozen. The sharp wind stung their faces.

Finally, don't say "she asked." Give her name. Matthew does know what her name is, right?

Edited to add:

What she asked should be written this way:

quote:
"Where are we going, Daddy?"

[This message has been edited by Corky (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me start off by saying that I enjoyed this - there is a good sense of place here (clearly England with the "Happy Christmas" sign) and for some reason it made me feel good. Now, for the rest...

"The pavement sparkled with frost and left a crust on car windscreens" reads as if the pavement is leaving the crust on the cars, not the frost. There's actually a bit of duplication going on in the first paragraph - twice you mention ice (black ice and frost) and twice you mention flashing lights. Also, the semicolon after red and white is out of place.

There are a whole lot of impersonal pronouns going on here too. Their, she, her. Also, their is plural, but using she later makes me think there is only one little girl, because it doesn't differentiate between the two of them. Give these girls some names, especially if the story is going to be about them.

The last sentence is about twice as long as it needs to be. I don't care, and it doesn't matter to me, if it was ten minutes or forty seven minutes ago you dressed them. The tense in this sentence jumps around a bit too.... Don't jump into the past to show him forgetting to pick up gloves and scarves, show him realizing that he's forgotten them. The difference might seem small, but it's the difference between cumbersome and clear.

I find it hard to dislike this story, but there are a lot of technical issues here. "Water streamed down her cheeks" is a bit out of place, and the sentence following it doesn't really explain it. The grammar is a little sketchy at times, and there are an awful lot of fragments. Maybe take the time to brush up on your Strunk & White (or whatever acceptable substitute you've got) and give this another whirl. There's promise here - though I just can't seem to put my finger on what it is exactly.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The pavement sparkled with frost and left a crust on car windscreens.

I could see frost leaving a crust on car windscreens, but I think whoever paved over these cars is going to get fired tomorrow.

quote:
Black ice lay in wait for foolish late night travellers. In windows, twinkled many-coloured lights. Happy Christmas flashed red and white; to send joy and seasons greetings into the cloudless night.

Matthew held tight onto their hands.

It would help to know whose hands here.

quote:
The sharp wind stung their faces, little hands were red raw and frozen.

“Where are we going daddy?” she asked. She looked up with round, blue eyes; water streamed down her cheeks.

My advice: don't be afraid to name characters. I think reader would connect with her a little better if they knew the name.

quote:
He looked down at his daughter. Ten minutes earlier, he’d hurried them into their overcoats and pushed Barbie Wellingtons onto their tiny feet. In his haste, he had forgotten to pick up their gloves and scarves.

If you're writing for eight year olds, I think you need to focus a bit more on grammatical simplicity.

For Example: "In windows, twinkled many-coloured lights." This could be reworked to something more linear, like: "Coloured lights twinkled in windows."

As for the descriptions, I think it would benefit if the descriptions focused around the characters. I thought this was in a car at first, since windscreens were mentioned. I don't know how the windows fit into the scene. Where are the windows in relation to the characters? Where are the characters? Where is the black ice? Are they driving on it or walking on it?

However, the descriptions are vivid enough to give a good image, it's just a disjointed image at this point.
I also felt that "water" streaming down her eyes was a bit vague. Is she crying, or are her eyes watering from the cold?

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
The pavement sparkled with frost and left a crust on car windscreens (COULD BE: FROST SPARKLED ON THE PAVEMENT AND LEFT A CRUST - EASILY FIXED). Black ice lay in wait for foolish late night travellers. In windows, twinkled many-coloured lights (CONSIDER MULTI?). Happy Christmas flashed red and white; to send joy and seasons greetings into the cloudless night (IT RHYMES!).

Matthew held tight onto their hands (I HAD THE IMPRESSION FROM YOUR INTRO THAT HE WAS HOLDING THREE LITTLE GIRLS HANDS, WHICH WOULD BE CROWDED. YOU MIGHT WANT TO MENTION HOW MANY CHILDREN THERE ARE). The sharp wind stung their faces, little hands were red raw and frozen (THIS IS NICE!).

“Where are we going daddy?” she asked (WHICH SHE?). She looked up with round, blue eyes; water streamed down her cheeks (WERE HER EYES WATERING FROM THE WIND AND COLD OR WAS SNOW MELTING ON HER?).

He looked down at his daughter. Ten minutes earlier, he’d hurried them (THEM WHO? HIS CHILDREN?)into their overcoats and pushed Barbie Wellingtons (THIS WAS ITALICIZED, AND I WONDERED IF THAT WAS BECAUSE YOU MEAN THEY ARE BARBIE-THE-DOLL STYLE WELLINGTONS? IF SO, YOUR FONTS PROBABLY HAS THE TRADEMARK SIGN SOMEWHERE, AND WELLINGTONS IS NOT COPYWRITED, SO THAT WOULD NOT NEED TO BE ITALICIZED ANYWAY)onto their tiny feet. In his haste, he had forgotten to pick up their gloves and scarves.

Darklight, everything i saw looked pretty minor, and I would read further to see what this forgetful dad is doing on Christmas eve with his chillykids. I would be glad to read, and if you like, I have a 7 year old girl and a couple of slightly older boys I would be glad to read to and shoot you their comments. Let me know if this would be helpful!

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Plus, I really liked the title and would probably read a while just to see if the writer was really as clever as the title indicated!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging replies so far!

quote:
I could see frost leaving a crust on car windscreens, but I think whoever paved over these cars is going to get fired tomorrow.

That's the funniest comment on this huge faux pas I've got - the result of a hasty rewrite due to taking out sections of this scene that needed exterminating - any Daleks around?

For some reason I have yet to discover, I wrote this scene without naming any of the characters. I added in the father's name because I didn't to be told to 'give the characters names!'

quote:
I HAD THE IMPRESSION FROM YOUR INTRO THAT HE WAS HOLDING THREE LITTLE GIRLS HANDS, WHICH WOULD BE CROWDED. YOU MIGHT WANT TO MENTION HOW MANY CHILDREN THERE ARE

Quite right. There are only two in this scene, the third is yet to be born - which is kind of the point of this chapter! Needs clearing up.

Thanks for the offer to read, deb. This whole chapter needs a good re-write I think before I send it out, plus it's too long, as its about one tenth of my projected total word count for this story. I'm away for a few days after tomorrow, when I get back, I'll edit, then repost and send to anyone that offered to read. Again, this critique has been great, thank you

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited August 11, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Here's the re-write. I've edited the chapter and it's ready if anyone is willing to read. Thank you again.

Frost sparkled upon the pavement and covered car windscreens. Black ice lay in wait for those late evening travellers. Matthew Trent held tight onto his two little girls’ hands, red raw and frozen. The sharp wind stung their faces.

Fairy lights twinkled in many windows and in one, a red Happy Christmas sign flashed on and off.

“Where are we going daddy?” three-year-old Aithne said. The cold night stung her eyes; water streamed down her cheeks.
Matthew looked down at her. He realised he had forgotten to pick up their gloves. “Don’t let go of my hand, we’ll be there soon.”

“But where daddy, where are we going?”

He gripped their tiny hands tighter than ever, hoping to keep them warm.

nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

"...red raw and frozen." Raw from what? I've been in numbingly cold weather - never been raw from it. Actually here "frozen" might be replaced by "numb". Flesh near/at frozen is going to be blue/white or even black - not red.

Anything wrong with "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Christmas"? Matter of taste here - just that to me "Happy Christmas" seems way too P.C.

"...water (tears) streamed down her cheeks."

"But where daddy, where are we going?" For me the story starts with this sentence. You may be starting a little too early. I would like to see the conflict played up stronger.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
"Black ice lay in wait for those late evening travellers."

I'm not sure who you mean by those. I almost suspect that you mean the father and girls, though they seem not to be getting into a car. If you don't mean anyone by 'those', I'd suggest deleting it.

I'd suggest giving "red raw and frozen" a sentence for itself. Tagging it to the end of a sentence reads oddly to me.

I'd also suggest removing "hoping to keep them warm" from the end of the last sentence. If it was just, "He gripped their tiny hands tighter than ever," it would seem more like a response to the girl's question, showing possible anxiety of the father's and up the tension.

Other than that, I get a good sense of the setting, time, and there is intrigue of where a father is going late at night with his two daughters, but is the father going to be the POV character for the whole book? It seems a girl is and if so, maybe this should be from her POV.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks for the replies. nitewriter, it does seem I'm starting the scene a little early, but I want to get a sense of scene here, and its VERY important that its Christmas.

Hunter, the father is the POV character for the first chapter, after that, he and the mother 'dissapear' and the story skips ahead eleven years to when the girls are grown.

Again, thanks for the comments.

debhoag
Member # 5493

i'd be very happy to read. Send away!
ixis
Member # 5928

- posted      Profile for ixis   Email ixis         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the first and second drafts. There's a musical quality to your sentences. Feel free to send me a copy.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I'll should have it on its way to you very soon. Thanks for the offer to read.
chinchillac
Member # 6185

- posted      Profile for chinchillac   Email chinchillac         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, good description of the Christmas winter scene and how everyone is cold. My question is-who is Mathew, the father and whose hands is he holding-give the daughter a name. Nice little suspense with him suddenly taking the kids out in the cold and not telling them why.
Chastity

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.