Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Untitled Vampire Novel

Author Topic: Untitled Vampire Novel
BrigidMaryKemm
Member # 6138

- posted      Profile for BrigidMaryKemm   Email BrigidMaryKemm         Edit/Delete Post 
What follows are the first thirteen lines of my urban fantasy novel. I believe I have created some very atypical vampires.

Anyway. Here are the first 13 lines, Times New Roman font, 12 point. Thank you in advance for any advice or commentary.

---

There was a man in her car.

Rebecca shrieked and spun in her seat, feeling the quick initial rush of adrenaline. She had jumped into the driver’s seat quickly, a vain attempt to escape the nighttime November cold that had been making her sweaty gym clothes sting her flushed skin. There were no streetlamps in this part of the parking lot, and she hadn’t realized she had a back seat visitor until her eyes met his in the rear view mirror.

“Don’t be frightened,” he said softly, not moving. “I was just hiding. I won’t harm you.”

She was thinking all the big danger words that women her age were warned of: rape, kidnapping, carjacking. But as he met and held her gaze, she felt herself hesitate. His eyes were warm

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 23, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by BrigidMaryKemm (edited August 30, 2007).]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 

For me, the hook is in the character of the man in her car; down there at the bottom, when his eyes make her hesitate (I'm a sucker for character stories) and not in the first sentence, or even the premise of a man being in her car.

I can't see anything stylistically or grammatically that needs adjustment. The one thing I would suggest, and others might quickly disagree with me, is that you slightly alter the beginning events. Instead of starting out with a man being in her car (the hook-ish sentence, which wasn't the hook for me), her scream, and then retroactively describing Rebecca getting into the car, I'd like to have read it in actual chronological order.

I'd be readily willing to read a few sentences of a girl getting into her car at night (that situation alone presents a host of speculation, those 'big danger words' as you've said), and you segue into the fellow in the back seat quickly, so I don't think you need the 'punch' of the first sentence and then a backtrack.

That suggestion aside, these 13 easily make me want to read on. I don't think I can tackle your whole project right now, but if you find yourself still lacking volunteers after a while, I'd be happy to swap emails and talk about what you've done with your vampires. I've read a fair bit of vampire lit/fiction, so I may be able to help there.

Cheers

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrigidMaryKemm
Member # 6138

- posted      Profile for BrigidMaryKemm   Email BrigidMaryKemm         Edit/Delete Post 
Marzo, you're brilliant. Sometimes I'm blind with my own work. That whole paragraph is pretty unnecessary, really, and it's not important to know it *here*. It's fairly clear later in the scene that she was at the gym. Let me see how it works without it:

---

Rebecca shrieked and spun in her seat, feeling the quick initial rush of adrenaline.

“Don’t be frightened,” he said softly, not moving. “I was just hiding. I won’t harm you.”

She was thinking all the big danger words that women her age were warned of: rape, kidnapping, carjacking. But as he met and held her gaze, she felt herself hesitate. His eyes were warm and disarming, with faint lines of tension that were clear despite the limited light from a distant streetlamp. She knew she should jump out of the car and run, or grab the cell phone and call the police. Anything except just sit there and stare at him.

[This message has been edited by BrigidMaryKemm (edited August 23, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 23, 2007).]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. See, I feel the lack of that detail in this version. I didn't mean to suggest you should take it out of the beginning entirely, and while other readers might be happy seeing it later, I liked it earlier on, to be honest. I just meant it should be placed before she realizes the man is in her car, because saying 'there's a man in her car' and then backtracking to mention her getting into it felt a little anticlimactic. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

I felt that tidbit gave the scene a setting (a parking lot outside of a gym on a cold November night), whereas while this version might be a little better-paced, its context is a little less clear. That was an important atmosphere builder for my imagination. I could see her breath in the air, imagine the discomfort of clinging gym clothes. It also told me that Rebecca worked out at night, so it was a dash of character spice, as well. It may not have been 'necessary,' but it was a brief and welcome bit of orientation.

My two (four, now?) cents.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I like both versions. One thing I like about the first is that at the end of page one, the two characters are still locked together, via the incomfortable stare.

The second one is more lively at the beginning. But at the end, the characters are seemingly separating, giving the impression that the drama is over.

Perhaps to the end of the second version you could add something like: Then he reengaged her eyes, as if to give her a chance to change her mind.

You might have to trim something to make this fit into the first-13 mini-drama.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely prefer the first version. We need some semblance of time and place before we are thrown into the drama of the moment. The second version felt like a bit too much too fast.

Actually, the first felt a little that way too. I appreciate the hook, and it worked. But, it still felt a bit like going from 0 to 60 mph. I know this is a strange advice, but I'd like to see her walking to her car. I want to see her pulling her jacket close and fumbling through her purse for her keys. You can toss in a few ominous details, like, I don't know, a flickering street light over her car that dies when she is a few feet away, making it suddenly dark. Something like that. This is a novel, so you have a little leeway. By presenting something as mundane as having a girl walk to her car at night might seem boring, but I think it's the contrary, because we KNOW that something bad is going to happen. It gives a sense of dramatic tension. And I think that tension is enough of a hook in the first thirteen lines. Your intriguing character in the back seat of her car will only want to make us keep reading.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sephina
Member # 5596

- posted      Profile for sephina   Email sephina         Edit/Delete Post 
If you would like to send me the first 20 pages, a brief synopsis and a word count I could read that, see if you like my comments and then we could go from there.
Julie B.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrigidMaryKemm
Member # 6138

Thank you for all the comments. I put the offending paragraph back in, because you're all right -- now it's just too fast.

Wren, I did have a lot more like that before -- her walking to her car, how cold it was, fumbling for the key, etc. But after reading just about every post Miss Snark has written on her website (misssnark.blogspot.com), I felt I needed to jump into the action more quickly.

Here are the ORIGINAL 13 lines, so you'll see the problem.

---

Rebecca Hanson never locked her car doors. In this day and age, she knew she should, but her car was old, with no bells and whistles, and more than its share of rust spots. She never left any valuables inside, so the threat of theft was no big deal. When people would criticize her decision, she defended herself by saying that it was safer, as she could get away more quickly in the event someone was chasing her. She also said that if the car was stolen, she would get more out of the insurance money than the car was even worth. Rebecca would even joke that she might as well leave the keys hanging in the ignition, but she never did.

It was a cold clear night in November when Rebecca was leaving her local gym. After her workout, she was only wearing a light

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 24, 2007).]

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Your right. The original (which is your last post) doesn't work.

I think the detail I need from it can be worked into the first first 13 you posted. That version and its rewrites would get me to go a page or two in.

Maybe reorder the first a bit:

Your words (mostly) but my order:

Rebecca jumped into the driver’s seat (in) a vain attempt to escape the (cold November night) that (made) her sweaty gym clothes sting her flushed skin. She never locked her doors. The car was old, with no bells and whistles, and more than its share of rust spots. (She put it in gear and looked in her rearview mirror).
Rebecca shrieked and spun in her seat, feeling the quick initial rush of adrenaline.
She was thinking all the big danger words that women her age were warned of: rape, kidnapping, carjacking. But as he met and held her gaze, she felt herself hesitate. His eyes were warm and disarming, with faint lines of tension that were clear despite

Okay that might be 14 but you can trim it. Now I have a time and a place and I still get the hook which for me is also his response.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I see your point about the original. It does make it a bit more exciting to get to the action quickly.
That said, I think kings_falcon's arrangement of the opening pretty much gives me what I was looking for.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrigidMaryKemm
Member # 6138

All right. Last try, I think. You guys have provided an IMMENSE amount of help.
----------

Rebecca flung herself into the driver’s seat, a vain attempt to escape the nighttime November cold. Her sweaty gym clothes stung at her flushed skin, and she fumbled with the key to start the engine and get some heat going. Her eyes flicked to the rear view mirror.

She thought all the big danger words that women her age were warned of: rape, kidnapping, carjacking. But as he met and held her gaze, she felt herself hesitate. His eyes

baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that last version is a nice balance between the two. If you want someone to read the whole thing, send it my way and I'll try my hardest. Even if I can't do the whole novel, I'll comment on some of it. I've also written a vampire m/s, so it'd be good to see what other people are writing ;-)

Adam
xxx

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chinchillac
Member # 6185

- posted      Profile for chinchillac   Email chinchillac         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm not that much for the reuglar, bloody, gory vampire stuff. However, I like the part about the man in her car and her fear about what he is doing there. I do think there might be a couple of places were commas are needed, but I'm not possitive on it.
Chastity

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
it's funny how getting the beginning nailed helps the rest go better. Smooth sailing with the rest! (also, does this hint just a little to anybody else of Zipless Erica Jong? Taking a chance on a stranger?) Maybe I should ask if anyone else is old enough to be reminded of EJ?

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 26, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Since it seems you are going for a tense scene, this needs to be tightened up a bit. Prune out some of the passive stuff - which would give you more space for action/tension words.

"...with the key to start the engine and get some heat going."
Ok, we all know that once the car is started, the heat is going on - we know it is cold, so the bit about getting the heat going is extraneous.

"Don't be frightened," he said softly, not moving. "I was just hiding. I won't harm you." (WHEW! That's good to know. For a moment there I thought there was some danger, some conflict, and that a story was about to break out - but guess everything is A-ok) Seriously, give that line some more bite - it is too weak. What's more it seems stilted, It's hard for me to believe a line like that in this situation.

"She thought all the big danger words that women her age were warned of rape, kidnapping, carjacking. But as he met and held her gaze she felt herself hesitate." This is not convincing to me. A woman with a stranger in her backseat is going to run, or scream, fight, maybe reach for a gun - but I can't even imagine that in such a situation a woman is going to take a mental inventory of all those "danger" words.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited August 26, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited August 26, 2007).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
Nitewriter:

SPOILER ALERT: Whilst it may not be clear in the opening 13, it makes sense that the character hesitates at this point. Later in the novel we discover that the man in the back is a vampire and can affect people's emotions, particularly through touch. So this bit does actually make sense, with that in mind.

Adam
xxx

[This message has been edited by baduizt (edited August 26, 2007).]

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.