Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Elven Heritage (working title), fantasy, 13 lines

Author Topic: Elven Heritage (working title), fantasy, 13 lines
chinchillac
Member # 6185

- posted      Profile for chinchillac   Email chinchillac         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first 13 lines of chapter 1. I hope I did this right. A line to me is one full line of text across a page. Anyway, let me know what you think and I am also looking for anyone who is willing to read the whole thing, if someone has time. It's 17 chapters. Just let me know if you want the single or double spaced version.

It was the same dream again, but this was not like any other dream she had ever had. It was as if she had been pulled into another reality for the sounds of the insects and the feel of the grass under her feet and the smell of the wind seemed exactly the same. However, there were subtle differences that she couldn’t explain, a feeling that made her uneasy and wary all at the same time. Yet, she had been here before and the first time had frightened her for she had learnt the hard way that whatever happened to you in this place was also true in the waking world. She had told her father a tale of falling out of a tree to explain her broken arm, but she had the feeling that he hadn’t believed the tale as the truth. She sighed for she should be used to this after nearly six months,

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 24, 2007).]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrigidMaryKemm
Member # 6138

- posted      Profile for BrigidMaryKemm   Email BrigidMaryKemm         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, normally I hate hearing about a dream in the opening paragraph. I feel like it's a letdown: all this happened, and now you're telling me it was just a *dream*? Hear what I'm saying?

This doesn't really fall into that category: your protag is just talking about a dream, but I'm still not sure I like it right out front. I think there's too much telling in this first paragraph.

The broken arm part was interesting -- why not open with that? If you started your story with "She told her father a tale of falling out of a tree to explain..." it's going to hook me, because I'm going to wonder why she lied about a broken arm. THEN you can bring in the dream-world-carrying-into-reality drama.

I also think you could lose your sentence, "It was dark, but not just..." The next sentence starts with "The darkness," so it's pretty clear that it's, you know, dark, and adding "night" somewhere after darkness sets your scene aptly. A general tightening would do you a great service.

Really what I'm saying is that there's a nugget of gold in here, you just need to uncover it.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd break it up a little bit, just to give the reader some thinking room:

It was the same dream again, but this was not like any other dream she had ever had. (YOU CONTRADICT YOURSELF LATER BY SAYING SHE HAS BEEN HAVING THESE DREAMS FOR SIX MONTHS. YOU NEED TO FIND ANOTHER WAY TO DELINEATE BETWEEN THESE ALTERNATE REALITY EXPERIENCES AND REGULAR DREAMS).

It was as if she had been pulled into another reality(COMMA) for the sounds of the insects and the feel of the grass under her feet and the smell of the wind seemed exactly the same. However, there were subtle differences that she couldn’t explain, a feeling that made her uneasy and wary (I'M THINKING UNEASY AND WARY ARE REDUNDANT TOGETHER) all at the same time.

Yet, (WHAT IS THE YET FOR - SHE WAS UNEASY YET FRIGHTENED? I'D LOSE THE YET) she had been here before and the first time had frightened her(COMMA) for she had learnt the hard way that whatever happened to you in this place was also true in the waking world.

She had told her father a tale of falling out of a tree to explain her broken arm, but she had the feeling that he hadn’t believed (HADN'T BELIEVED HER, THEN YOU CAN CUT TALE AS THE TRUTH) the tale as the truth. She sighed(COMMA) for she should be used to this after nearly six months, but she never seemed to have any control over where she went in this place. It was if someone else was controlling this strange place and she was only a game piece to move around the board.

It was dark, but not just(I THINK YOU COULD LOSE THE JUST) the calm quiet of night. This darkness was threatening and it weighed upon the heart like a granite boulder. Kitriana (NICE NAME!) walked slowly through this darkness, her heart beginning to pound in fear as the dead leaves crunched and rustled under her boots.

Regarding the 13 lines thing, your did go over, but Kathleen will get you back on track. I've done it more than once. It's thirteen courier new lines in 12 point, as it fits into the message box. There's also a really good reason for this, although I can't remember it at the moment. I do know there's a thread that explains it all. Have Fun!

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 24, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Several really good reasons, in my opinion.

First, it helps to protect your first publication rights because it limits how much of your story is actually "published" online.

Second, 13 lines is the first page of a properly formatted manuscript (12-point courier font). So you are giving readers the same "first page" you would give an editor. This means that readers can tell you if they would want to turn the page, so you have some idea of whether or not an editor might want to turn the page. If the editor doesn't want to turn the page, your story can be rejected without further reading.

Third, we have to set a limit on how much of this website forum is taken up by story text, and the 13-line limit makes sense for that, too.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
This has promise as an idea, but what you written so far is confusing to follow.

It would help to lessen the confusing details if you’d simplify the sentences a bit.

You are taking too many words to get a simple idea across.

And...your statement doesn’t make sense. It was the same dream again but not any other dream she had ever had. If it’s the same, if she has dreams like this a lot, why is this one not like any other dream she had ever had?

Redundancy – he hadn’t believed the tale as the truth – !
We don’t learn anything concrete about this latest dream. Has she been pulled into yet another (a third) reality this time?

The sounds...seemed exactly the same...as what? As her real world? Or as before in these dreams?

Too many vague words. She should be used to “this” – to what?

Is the problem here a logical inconsistency in the flow of your thoughts?

Using your words, I tried to cut out some of the extra stuff and put in some concrete images in place of your vague terms like “this.”

It was the same dream again. She had been pulled back into that other reality. While this time the sounds of the insects and the feel of the grass under her feet and the smell of the wind seemed exactly the same as before, there were subtle differences that she couldn’t explain. A feeling that made her uneasy and wary all at the same time.

She had learnt the hard way that whatever happened to you in that place was also true in the waking world. Once, when she told her father a tale of falling out of a tree to explain her broken arm, he hadn’t believed her story, not really. But there was the arm, broken.

And now this. She sighed. She should be used to these bumps and bruises after nearly six months.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chinchillac
Member # 6185

- posted      Profile for chinchillac   Email chinchillac         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, everyone. Thanks for the information. Sorry about reposting a second one of these, but when I clicked on the forums, I didn't see my first post and thought it didn't work. I'm still getting the hang of how to move around this website. Sorry about going over the 13 lines, but I've had people try to explain just what 12-point text and curier print stuff is, but I just don't understand it. I thought I counted 13 lines, but it must've been more. Does anyone know how to explain this print stuff to some who is blind? This one was originally double-spaced and unjustified. Do I need to make it into single-space and justify the text? I checked the font and my screen reader says it's in Times-New-Roman, whatever that means.
I'll try to fix the sentences better. I guess I put a bit more description in because I can't see and I want people to get the story through as many colors, and descriptions as possible.

Chastity

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

interesting factoid: people do not normally smell in dreams. I don't remember exactly why, but it has something to do with the distance of the olfactory portion of the brain from the dreaming portion. So a dream where an intense smell is part of the experience would be a very unusual dream, or possibly da da da not a dream at all.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

chastity, what kind of screen reader do you have? what is the easiest way for us to format comments for you to read?
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chastity,

Were you ever able to see, or were you born blind? That might help us to explain things to you more clearly.

Meanwhile, to explain the font thing. There are different visual styles for the letters of the alphabet and we call them fonts. The old typewriters used Courier font, while newspapers and books usually use Times Roman. The 10 pt and 12 pt refer to the size of the letters. (pt is short for 'point' and it's the quaint old size measure that printers used when they typeset books and newspapers by hand.) 12 pt is larger than 10 pt. Times Roman is a very 'dense' font and that's one reason newspapers use it: you get more characters per line than Courier for the same size font. That's because the Times Roman font allows the letters to snuggle up to each other, all nice and friendly, while Courier makes them keep a certain fixed distance from each other because it was designed for typewriters and their limited mechanics.

That means you should set your wordprocessor to the Courier font with a size of 12 pt. In Word that's Courier New, same thing. The length of the line needs to be six inches, unjustified (or 'ragged right').

When you enter text onto the Hatrack website the text box you write in is designed to display just 13 lines of courier 12 pt. If you go over the limit the scrollbar to the right becomes active: you can move it up and down to scan your text, but you only ever see 13 lines. I have no idea how, without sight, you navigate a website designed for sighted people. Do you have a way of knowing if the scrollbar has become active?

For Hatrack these are single spaced lines but for a submission to a publisher they'd be double spaced.

Oh, one more thing: if you're typing into the text box live, make sure you keep a copy. If anything goes wrong or like me you forget to put your password in, it forgets it all and gives you a nice clean blank text box and you have to type it all over again.

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited August 25, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.