Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » PARIAH COMPLEX query

Author Topic: PARIAH COMPLEX query
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a summary of my novel for inclusion in query letters. I spent all morning (and part of the afternoon) working on this stupid thing. It almost seems harder to write than the novel itself was. What do you guys think?

Chaya Mazar is an inmate in Baranwal International Penitentiary, a concentration camp deep in the jungles of Brazil where the United Earth Parliament incarcerates the half-people of the world, the people with physical or mental handicaps. In the violent world of Baranwal International Penitentiary, Chaya falls in love with another inmate and secretly marries him. When she discovers she is pregnant, she finds herself in an impossible situation: if the whole people find out, they will execute her, her husband, and their unborn child for the crime of daring to create happiness in their carefully constructed hell.

Roland Cruz is a young man in the Free Eastern Democratic Republic, one of the few remaining pockets of resistance to the worldwide oppression of the United Earth Parliament. Roland discovers in himself a miraculous ability: he can heal people of any and all ailments. Eager to serve humanity with his gift, he heals all who come to him. He restores lost limbs, cures blindness, and makes half-people whole. When his gift fails him in a moment of crisis, though, he discovers that humanity does not easily forgive a failed messiah.

When the United Earth Parliament troops invade Roland’s home village, Roland is awarded half-man status by a grenade blast. The conquering force ships Roland off to Baranwal International Penitentiary to live out the rest of his days with the other half-people. Disillusioned with humanity, Roland vows never to heal again. When Chaya learns of Roland’s miraculous gift, he becomes her last desperate hope to get out of Baranwal and give birth to her baby. Before he will save her, though, she has to heal his bitterness against humanity.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
i like it quite a bit, WW, but would suggest that you clearly define half-people vs. whole people right up front. i.e. the world has been divided into two groups: "half-people", those who are physically or mentally handicapped, and who are forced to live in huge camps exiled from mainstream society, and "whole-people" who consider themselves above the tortured souls of blah blah blah.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. You get the idea across with (mostly) an efficiency of words, and everything I've seen says that's what's needed. And it makes me want to read it (always a plus, yes?).

The one big problem I see is the multitude of long names of government entities here. I don't think they're all necessary. You've got "Baranwal International Penitentiary" in there three times (and an additional "Baranwal"). Any way to shorten or abbreviate that after the first mention?

Same for "United Earth Parliament." And I'd suggest removing the phrase "the Free Eastern Democratic Republic," (the comma too) as it's also a mouthful and its name is less important than the fact that it's a resistance entity.

So does his gift fail him before or after the grenade blast?

Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
you could use acronyms: FEDR, BIP, UEP. You could even get creative and change the names a little, so that the acronyms mean something. FRED, BOP, URP.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

Heh, I'd steer away from FRED. Sounds like the name of a cheesy sentient computer in an 80's movie.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
You have plenty of time in the novel to explain how Roland Cruz came in possession of his gifts, but in the query, the agent/editor may want to know right away. If you don't explain this, the gift may be assumed to be a singularity in the world, and therefore too contrived.

If you don't have an explanation for the gift, consider assigning a cost to using the gift (aside from the political punishment), which will make it more interesting.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Thanks a ton everybody. I appreciate you guys taking time to help me. Great, useful feedback from all of you.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, but I do like the title. I want to read it!
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this too, although agree with the comment about acronyms.

Good work. Synopses are usually the hardest part. Have you also written a 25-word premise? I find these invaluable to include in the cover letter itself, so that the synopsis can be included on a separate sheet. Basically, you'd need to strip the whole story down to its elements, so that X (hero) must overcome Y (complication/character development) to fulfil goal Z (quest). It's a wonderful exercise in restraint and really clarifies the whole story to a prospective editor.

Cheers

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

The new version:

In the world of Pariah Complex, an oppressive world government has divided humanity into two types of people: the half-people, or people with physical and mental handicaps, and the whole people. The whole people are privileged while the half-people are locked away in a giant work prison deep in the jungles of Brazil. Chaya Mazar, a half-girl, is a new inmate in this prison. In her violent new world, Chaya falls in love with another half-person and secretly marries him. When she discovers she is pregnant, she finds herself in an impossible situation: if the whole people find out, they will execute her, her husband, and their unborn child for the crime of daring to create happiness in their carefully constructed hell.

Roland Cruz is a young man with a miraculous ability: he can heal people of any and all ailments. When his gift fails him in a moment of crisis, he discovers that humanity is not eager to forgive a failed messiah. Disillusioned with humanity, Roland vows never to heal again. When Roland is awarded half-man status by government troops invading his village, he is shipped off to live out the rest of his days with the other half-people in prison. When Chaya learns of Roland’s miraculous gift, she places her last desperate hope in him. Roland becomes Chaya’s only chance to become whole again so she can get out of the half-people prison and save her unborn baby. Before Roland will save Chaya, though, she must heal his bitterness against humanity.

I haven't worked up a 25 word summary. Do you find that really useful? I'm just putting the 2 paragraph summary into the body of the query letter.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited January 06, 2008).]

LCastle
Member # 7363

Oooh, this is much better. Cleaner, more character driven, but the setting and plot come through.

Just a couple of nits:
- I'm not sure "awarded" is the word you want to use when Roland is assigned half-person status. Not much of an award.
- And two sentences in a row in the second paragraph beginning with "When x does y, etc.."

isaac.madsen
Member # 2766

- posted      Profile for isaac.madsen   Email isaac.madsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. After reading the new query, I'm really interested. I read the first one awhile ago, but had since completely forgotten about it until I came back on the site. You'll have to let us know when it gets published.

Just one question. Are we speaking of a literal Hell (as in the place) or figurative?

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.