Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Raenir’s Curse & Struggle

Author Topic: Raenir’s Curse & Struggle
Isaac Pavel Rozhdestvensk
Member # 8040

- posted      Profile for Isaac Pavel Rozhdestvensk   Email Isaac Pavel Rozhdestvensk         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first in what I hope to be a series of novels in a fantasy setting that I one day hope Wizards of the Coast will take interest in, the world is named "Tagnik'Zur" so far I have roughly 8 pages which 3 of which is my "forward" so to speak. I think I'll post 13 lines of what I consider to be the prelude and will update 13 lines to different chapters as people wish?

quote:

A fireball explodes in a spectacular display of pyrotechnics and force with chips and broken pieces of stone fly like shrapnel in all directions. However they halt their flight and fall harmlessly to the ground with a loud clatter. “Is that all you can muster!?” Bellowed the rather frail mage but possessing an amazing agility to move both swiftly and gracefully with nigh sign of tiring laughing maniacally casting as he moved. The other, a young female magician of great talent it would seem if one could discern such things with but a mere glance merely gritted her teeth and launched herself into hurried gestures and verbal casting racing against time itself but within seconds uttered the last syllable and with a forward gesture pointed at the frail mage with her brow furrowed in

This is merely a part of the prelude, the novel itself I wish to be about a brilliant Drow wizard named Raenir who will appear in the first chapter the novel is meant to follow the formulative events of his life and set the stage for his character of later works.

[This message has been edited by Isaac Pavel Rozhdestvensk (edited June 18, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 18, 2008).]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
I should leave out the glottal stop. Not many Westerners know recognise them, and it's seriously hard to pronounce that without using one anyway, so it's unnecessary. Maybe split it into two words? Tagnik Zur.

[This message has been edited by RobertB (edited June 18, 2008).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8040

- posted      Profile for Isaac Pavel Rozhdestvensk   Email Isaac Pavel Rozhdestvensk         Edit/Delete Post 
don't westerners make the sound daily?
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly
Member # 8034

- posted      Profile for Kimberly   Email Kimberly         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's what stands out in my mind... First, description of the older mage is a bit tedious. Break it up, he's talking and laugh and moving all at the same time and you're adding in how's he doing each. Also, is he frail or is he graceful? Pick. I get what you're trying to say, but the way you say it, it's not allowing a clear picture of him. I would suggest using the voice to imply his strength and use his description to imply the weakness of body.

Also, why is the female mage racing against time? The challenge posed by the older drow was to do it better, bigger, stronger. Not do it faster. And again, way too much description in there about her and what she's doing and why, break it up.

I will also point out something about drow, if you're going to set it in that universe. A male teaching a female is a big deal and to become a mage, no less. Females normally become priests, even those that show talent for the arcane. I don't know the rest (13 lines doesn't let me see her reaction really) or what you're planning, but generally went someone starts off like this, it sends up a big warning flag that says; 'this isn't going to be worth reading because the person is going to ignore drow society or is trying to create a Drizzt clone, but as a mage instead.' I strongly suggest that your back story as to why he's being allowed to do this be rock solid, or readers aren't going to accept the character as being real.

You don't have to state your reasoning right off the bat, but you do need to at least point out that this is an unusual circumstance and soon. Reassure the readers you know what the rules are and that the true explanation will come if they read on.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8040

First off its not to clear in the prelude as I typed it but neither mage described is Drow their both human. The drow in question Raenir won't be making a appearence until the first chapter.

Also Tagnik Zur is not Faerun while in my history the Drow were taken from Faerun they were taken sometime just after the Crown Wars but before the establishment of the Lolth worshipping Matriarchy. So the Drow are not quite the Drow, think of it as saying people are used to Italians today but while say someone writes a story about 'Italians' but used time travel to bring a bunch of Romans in but still calls them Italians does this make sense?

Also I am a fan of the sorta 'don't explain everything right away but drag it out slowly' school of writing so there's many things missing in these 13 lines that on its own is fairly confusing but there's no good way of explaining it without reading the whole prelude.

Edit:

The history of it is that the Elves of Toril were offered a choice the power of Justice of the power of Might, the Gold/Moon Elves took justice but the Ilythiir took Might but were eventually during the Crown Wars casted down to the Underdark. In my world Dragons were originally the only sentient race but loath to kill other Dragons in their wars and fearing the devastation the most powerful ones crafted interdimensional portals that connected with different various worlds one of them connected to Ancient China on Earth and another one to the Underdark after the Crown wars and secretly stole a large chunk of people using some disaster (that they probably created) to hide the deed.

Thus we have a world were Drow of a sort are a major surface race but not completely corrupted towards evil yet so I can actually have some flexibility in how to protray their personalities.

[This message has been edited by Isaac Pavel Rozhdestvensk (edited June 18, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, and welcome to Hatrack.

My take:

quote:

A fireball explodes in a spectacular display of pyrotechnics and force [with<--[Huh?] chips and broken pieces of stone [to?] fly like shrapnel in all directions. However[,] they [halt their flight<--[Unneeded.] and fall harmlessly [to the ground<--[Where else would they fall?] with a loud clatter. [Indent new paragraph.]“Is that all you can muster!?” Bellow[ed<--[Tense violation, it switches from present to past.] the [rather<--[Does nothing for this sentence.] frail[,] mage but possess[ing<--[Back to present tense, in the same sentence.] an amazing agility to move [both<--[3 descriptions follow, but this word is unnecessary anyway.] swiftly and gracefully with [nigh<--[Archaic, particularly in this paragraph.] sign of tiring[,] laughing maniacally casting[Huh?] as he mov[ed<--[Again, tense.]. The other[What other?], a young female magician of great talent [it would seem if one could discern such things with but a mere glance<--[Confusing. Show this, or what makes the PoV think this, in a separate sentence or paragraph.] merely gritt[ed<--[Tense.] her teeth and launch[ed<--[Tense.] herself into hurried gestures and verbal casting[,] racing against time [itself but<--[Replace with a period and capitalize: W]ithin seconds [Add a: she] uttered the last syllable[,] and with a forward gesture[,] pointed at the frail mage with her brow furrowed in

You keep switching tenses. Your sentences are so long, poorly punctuated and filled with adverbs that they get confusing.(I cannot picture a frail wizard bellowing, "Is that all you got?") By the time I'm done deciphering the sentences, I'm not sure what's going on, other than there was a fireball that exploded harmlessly and that a young female magician made it happen. I don't know why. Put simply, I think your prose is getting in the way of your story.

Remember Arthur C. Clarke's advice (seems I'm paraphrasing this quote more and more): Our job is not to write so that the reader understands, it's to write so that the reader can't possibly misunderstand.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly
Member # 8034

- posted      Profile for Kimberly   Email Kimberly         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, yeah, that helps. I assumed that he was your main character, since he fit the short description of your main character. Might want to point out they are human when dealing with a world of mixed races.

And yeap, the part about drow before being drow makes sense. I can follow along with that.

Yes, a lot gets missed in 13 lines and yeah, it will always leave some confusion, but at the same time what you have is still tedious, like I said. Way too much description crammed into a few sentences, too much info at the same time. It's a good start, beginning with a mage learning fireball, but it feels rushed. As if their appearance is something unimportant or annoying and so you toss at the reader to get over with as fast as possible.

How exactly to change it up, I can't really tell you without completely destroying your style of writing. Try maybe having separate sentences for each thing they do. Start with him: He talks. He walks. He laughs at her. And expanding on each part with the needed description. Then have her: Get angry. Hastily start the spell. Point to him. Cast. And same thing there.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8040

Alot more was missed there What was actually occuring was a duel to the death between that older lets say Lich-like mage and the female battling for her life but I had written the prelude intentionally to only give this information out little by little. If you want I can email you the whole thing, includes my forward.
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to be a day for prologues while I like them generally, I'd skip this and see if there was any meat to the story. Here's why, in no particular order:

1) It ignores basic style constructs - i.e. sentances start new paragraphs.

2) It's contradictory - the mage is "frail" but bellows and moves "swiftly and gracefully" without tiring.

3) Magic doesn't seem to have a price - see note above.

4) Long sentances that tell me nothing and/or are the author intruding. Ex - " . . .of great talent it would seem, if one could discern such things . . .

5) No hook. This is a standard mage fight. I don't know or care about the people or stakes and I have a horrible feeling that this will turn out to be a practice drill.

It's probably too early for you to get meaningful feedback as well. I don't generally comment on things that are this preliminary but wanted to before this went too far along.

Why do you have a prologue? Are you starting in the right place?

Maybe you are. Maybe you need the prologue but be careful about using one and make sure it's amazing if you do.

I'd suggest stating with Raenir and just telling his story.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8040

in D&D a feat you can take is "Aschew material component" any mage of sufficient level will for most spells not require spell components.

Also even if there isn't much to the story as of yet at least I can learn proper english grammar.

Nextly, this event takes place roughly 10-20 years before Raenir enter's the story. Its foreshadowing of something that will happen later.

Also maybe I don't know what 'frail' means but I'm trying to give the appearence of someone appearing very old but still having a surprising inner youth/strength.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure you can take that feat in D&D. There is also a wonderful bag that allows you to pull out just about any mundane item you need. It works in D&D but not so much in stories.

Most fantasy readers want magic to cost something. If it doesn't have a cost why isn't everyone using it and why aren't those who can dictators? Lobbing fireballs works to an extent for YA but not for an older audience. Even Harry Potter had to go to school to learn how to do magic and some magic physically exhausted him.

Frail means fragile.

If the POV has the time to observem he/she/it can tell me about his white hair, liver spots and wrinkles.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8040

I'm basing it on D&D 3.5 Edition mechanics as a base for how magic will/should work.
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to take a stab at two things, and neither is intended to offend....

1. Isaac, is english by chance your second language?

2. If this is a D&D book or D&D based/inspired, perhaps the conventions common to Forgotten Realms/R.A. Salvatore are what you're aiming for here - limitless magic, races that are predefined in terms of relations, abilities, etc. In that sense (pleasing the target audience) these conventions, contrary as they are to some of the advice we all pass out here, are acceptable.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8040

da, however I wouldn't say magic is 'limitless' in a D&D setting its a learned art that for early practitioners is a tiring exhaustive process but for those experienced and practiced in it they're power can at epic levels seem god like. Its hard to tell in fact impossible to tell in these mere 13 lines the plot the story or even they're level aside from a loose guess at the minimal level to cast fireball. However in the prelude they quickly cast some level 7,8 and 9 spells. The two dueling are not beginners.
Member # 8040

However where Magic in my world would differ from standard D&D is its theory, basically while a wizard casting fireball in my world would on the outset seem no different in Faerun however it is different in theory and I would later in the book detail this.

Basically think of it if when writing a math question but as you write the equal sign the paper freezes and shatters? Magic is equivalent to high mathematics in my setting makes virtual no difference game play wise but will have some nice and believable magibabble as food for thought.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Is your story in a D&D world? Or is it in one of your own creation? D&D worlds are copyrighted, and stories set in copyrighted worlds are against the rules here.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8040

It is not based in any published WoTC campaign setting but a setting of my own creation.
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

Magic being high math would be an interesting system.

As SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED has noted though, be careful with borrowing spells from D&D or faerun or any other system are copyrighted. The "fireball" isn't per se but say Tensar's Floating Disk and the like would be.

Worry less about the magic system comments since the system can't be explained in the 13 and more on the substantive comments.

And write it. Stop obsessing about the beginning and move on. When you are done, then obsess. Too much self editing and self-doubt can kill the story before you get a chance to write it.

Member # 8040

hmm could I perhaps replace frail with 'frail looking'?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.