Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » fantasy- Paladin (first thirteen)

Author Topic: fantasy- Paladin (first thirteen)
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my first post for a starting to a story

Andromoidus, arch mage, sat on a mountain meditating. He saw a wondrous view, a green valley, winding river, and rising sun. Birds from the valley sang serenely, and the sun bathed the wall of a small castle below in red. Andromoidus felt cold. He felt, despite the beauty around him, despair.
It was the visions. The Sight, the ability to see the past, present, and future, had shown him something that scared him.
The visions had been short spurts, only flashes. A man in red robes laughed, skeletons walked like living things, warriors falling like harvested grain, and finally the boy. Always the boy. The boy was what surprised him. He was

And here is my second one. I tried to convey a hook while still having a plot. tell me how i did.

Calder woke in a cold sweat. His sheets were drenched, and he was breathing heavily. He had been dreaming again. He closed his eyes to see the dream better.
He saw images of walking dead and flashing swords. A fire raged somewhere. A man in scarlet robes was laughing at… something. He saw himself, sword drawn, running away from something.
He opened his eyes sat immobile in his bed. He looked around the room again, the dorm he shared with three other boys. They all were sleeping soundly. He looked at the full moon outside his window. It was still the middle of the night.
He lay back in bed and tried to sleep again, but he

Also, i want to get some feedback on the name Andromoidus. My Brother doesn't like it, but I thinks it's pretty cool.
[This message has been edited by drake the thall (edited July 08, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by drake the thall (edited July 14, 2008).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Andromoidus, arch mage the Arch-mage , sat on a mountain meditating. He saw a wondrous view, a green valley, winding river, and rising sun. Birds from the valley sang serenely, and the sun bathed the wall of a small castle below in red. maybe I'm in short-story mode, but I thought, why should I care? The descriptions seem..tired and cliched: 'green valley', 'winding river' Andromoidus felt cold. He felt, despite the beauty around him, despair. I'm being told, when I want to be shown
It was the visions. The Sight, the ability to see the past, present, and future, you're tellin gme the same thing several times had shown him something that scared him.
The visions had been short spurts, only flashes. A man in red robes laughed, skeletons walked like living things, warriors falling like harvested grain, and finally the boy. Always the boy. The boy was what surprised him. He was This is where it starts getting interesting.

As it stands at the moment, I doubt I would read on. I might read on a bit further to find out about the boy, but you'd have to grip me very quickly.

So far, you're telling me, not showing me about a character I don't know anything about. Then a longish description of scenery which the character isn't noticing, and then the vision. The vision is quite hooky, but I feel I'm reading something which has been done before.

There's potential here, but as it stands, its not being realised. I hope this is helpful. Don't let it put you off!

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommose
Member # 8058

- posted      Profile for tommose   Email tommose         Edit/Delete Post 
[/QUOTE]Andromoidus, arch mage, sat on a mountain meditating.NOTE 1 He saw a wondrous view, a green valley, winding river, and rising sun. Birds from the valley sang serenely, and the sun bathed the wall of a small castle below in red.NOTE 2 Andromoidus felt cold. He felt, despite the beauty around him, despair. It was the visions. The Sight, the ability to see the past, present, and future, had shown him something that scared him.NOTE 3

The visions had been short spurts, only flashes. A man in red robes laughed, skeletons walked like living things, warriors falling like harvested grainNOTE 4,, and finally the boy. Always the boy. The boy was what surprised him. He was [/QUOTE]

NOTE 1: You need a comma between mountain and meditating. The mountain isn't meditating, Andro is. Since there are only eight words in this sentence, I might suggest something like "The Arch-mage Andromoidus sat on a mountain, meditating." - that said, "on a mountain" is a little awkward. On a ledge, on a ridge, impaled on the top?

NOTE 2 - To paraphrase Badger - So? This part is really wordy. You have me reading, what, 31 words, 2 sentences, that feel like "it was a dark and stormy night."

NOTE 3 "The sight" is a fairly standard mechanism. Again, I agree with Badger. You're telling me stuff. If your "the sight" is different from every other one, let Andro describe it to someone in dialog later.

NOTE 4 You have a problem with tense here. The man laughed, the skeletons walked, the warriors falling? To match, they should have "fell". I like the imagery of "harvested grain", but maybe something like "like grain to the scythe" is less clinical.

In all, your hook feels "formula". It's not bad to have a story that follows a formula. After all, formulae exist because they work. The problem is that with your imagery, the only foreboding I get is that I've read this before.

The hook also feels passive. Andro sat. Ando saw. Andro felt. Andro was scared.

I'd suggest that you rework the hook by showing us a sight at the very beginning. Show us his horror, don't tell us that he has it. Have the vision invade his meditation.

I want to like this. You have a nice way with imagery. I'd just want you to involve me more in the story, in the hook.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
There’s strong potential here if you make some changes. Keep at it, post another attempt below and see what additional comments you get. The boy is your hook.

quote:
Andromoidus, arch mage, sat on a mountain meditating. Is he meditating about something, or just enjoying the morning? He saw a [wondrous view, a cut; we know its a view, and wondrous is telling, not showing] green valley, winding river, and rising sun. At first I thought this might be what he was meditating about, but then realized it is his physical location. You could condense all this description and use words that aren’t quite so generic. Birds from the valley sang serenely, and the sun bathed the wall of a small castle below in red. At this point I want to see what he sees right now; a vision intrudes on his sight, and he is no longer looking at the valley. Andromoidus felt cold. You could cut the next four sentences. He felt, despite the beauty around him, despair.
It was the visions. The Sight, the ability to see the past, present, and future, had shown him something that scared him.
The visions had been short spurts, only flashes. Play out this next scene instead of just listing elements of it; if they come in flashes, show us what he sees as he sees it.A man in red robes laughed, skeletons walked like living things, warriors falling like harvested grain, and finally the boy. Always the boy. The boy was what surprised him. He was

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited July 02, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the beginning of a story with a description of a scenery, preferably nature. I once swore on that, now I simply can't take it.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
heres a thought. what do you think of the name andromoidus? my brother's friends don't like, i like it, but it does seem long.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aetheric
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for Aetheric           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to read that about three times to work out how to pronounce it. As a name, it need changing just so it is readable. Shorten it maybe? What does the mage call himself, if everyone else calls him this long name?

One of my characters has a longish name, but those familiar with him call him Archie. Maybe give the mage a nickname, to avoid using such an elaborate name.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the name "Andromoidus" fine. However, I would not have kept reading your first selection. I liked the second one much better, even though it was still formulaic. Here are some suggestions:

- "He opened his eyes [and] sat..."
- "He looked around the room again [- it was] the dorm..."
- Vary your sentence structure some:
Bob woke... His sheets were drenched... He had been dreaming... etc.
Awakened by a [snorgleblower], Bob found himself in... The chilling dampness permeated his sheets... He had been dreaming...
(This is just an example - SUBJECT > VERB > DIRECT OBJECT works for the first paragraph but becomes monotonous if done throughout the text)

With a few changes, I would keep reading your second selection.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 03, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake the thall
Member # 8042

this is a rewrite of second post-

Broken Sky woke in a cold sweat. His sheets were drenched, and he was breathing heavily. He had been dreaming again. He closed his eyes and it was still there.
Images of walking dead and flashing swords. A fire raged. A man in scarlet robes was laughing at… something. He saw himself, sword drawn, running into the dark. The sky was blocked out by a huge shadow.
He opened his eyes lay shaking in his bed. He looked around the room again, the dorm he shared with three other boys. They all were sleeping soundly, except for Calder. Calder was his best friend, and was standing by Sky’s bed. Even though he wore a blind fold, he was staring toward Sky. “You were screaming.” He said quietly.

And here's another shot-

Broken Sky sat down in his seat. He slumped forward onto his desk. It was magical theory, the most boring class, in his opinion. He watched as the teacher explained something to the class for the tenth time. He looked down at his hand and concentrated on creating sparks.
A slight shimmer, nothing else.
A kid across the class caught his attention. It was Calder, he could tell from the blindfold. No one was sure why he wore it. Calder smiled, and sent up a shower of red sparks. The teacher looked around distractedly and blinked a lot. Sky could barely stifle a laugh, but it wasn’t very enthusiastic. He was still in basic magic, even though he

I like the name Broken Sky, it sounds like one of those people from the movie hero.
unless it is from the movie hero. can't remember.

[This message has been edited by drake the thall (edited August 04, 2008).]

Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the first version in the first post. The name Andromoidus didn't sound right to me. It immediately made me think of a robot or cyborg. I would definitely change the "oid" part, but that's just my opinion. The last line, about the boy, came off kind of bland, especially when compared to how rich the text had been to that point. I would suggest applying an adjective or two to keep the style and flow consistent. Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.