Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Metamorpheism-Second Revision

Author Topic: Metamorpheism-Second Revision
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
"I," said the elf messiah, "seek only a good place to die."
The Bodhi Tree responded to Asjarra by reaching inside the knothole of its right eye with a prehensile branch. It withdrew a hookah made from the wood of the crucifix upon which Christ had died, which had, in turn, been made from the Bodhi Tree. The pipe was full of bubbling Holy Water and psychedelic fig leaves. The Bodhi Tree breathed in, exhaled, and was about to reply when a huge apparition obscured the sun. It was the color of outer space, and loomed over the Gardens of Enlightenment like a black hole god. A Sawscythe vibrated in its fist. It was the Anti-Buddha himself, and he had come to slay the Bodhi Tree.
Grabbing his thaumaturgical broadsword, Godblade, and his incandescent morning star, Lucifer, Asjarra leapt to his feet.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 04, 2008).]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aetheric
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for Aetheric           Edit/Delete Post 
This still doesn't read right. It sounds completely disjointed to me.

"I," said the elf messiah, "seek only a good place to die." - strong opening

The Bodhi Tree responded to Asjarra by reaching inside the knothole of its right eye with a prehensile branch. - still good, I'm still with you here

It withdrew a hookah made from the wood of the crucifix upon which Christ had died, which had, in turn, been made from the Bodhi Tree. The pipe was full of bubbling Holy Water and psychedelic fig leaves. - ?? why is this important enough to mention in the first paragraph? what does it have to do with Asjarra? Hookah, yes, full of fig leaves, yes but why mention the wood of the true cross? This almost sounds like you're trying to mix two different styles of storytelling - normal narrative or whatever, and mythological style a la the Bible.

The Bodhi Tree breathed in, exhaled, and was about to reply when a huge apparition obscured the sun. It was the color of outer space, and loomed over the Gardens of Enlightenment like a black hole god. A Sawscythe vibrated in its fist. It was the Anti-Buddha himself, and he had come to slay the Bodhi Tree. - again, mixing styles. It reads awkwardly.

Grabbing his thaumaturgical broadsword, Godblade, and his incandescent morning star, Lucifer, Asjarra leapt to his feet. The Bodhi Tree closed its bark eyelids and drifted into a meditative trance. - why is this guy thinking about the names of his weapons?

this still doesn't read right to me overall. lots of telling, not enough showing.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adversity
Member # 8111

- posted      Profile for Adversity           Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting too, but I like the other revisions about the elf better. It feels like you are changing the story to be about the tree now...unless I am reading it wrong.

If that's the case, shouldnt the whole new Mv3 be about the tree and then the elf as associated with the tree.

justathought

Adversity

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
still liked the first one better. Too much stuff coming at me at once in the first 13 lines on this one.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I don't know how far along on the novel you are, but if you are still in the process of writing it, I would not get too hung up on the first 13. Sometimes the scene you orignally start with will be different by the time you are done writing the book. And also, as you write the novel, your voice, and style will tigten which will make it easier to settle on an approach for the first 13.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone. Looks like I'll be sticking with the first one, or at least a modified version of it. Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.