Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Notitleyet_13v2

Author Topic: Notitleyet_13v2
Adversity
Member # 8111

- posted      Profile for Adversity           Edit/Delete Post 
Second Version of the intro for a dystopic sci-fi novel im in the editing process for. Would love and welcome any feedback.

also, im aware this is slightly cliche death scene. please tell me if it is an ineffective cliche.

I held her in my arms. Her head lolled back. She wasn’t holding it up anymore. Her arms were carelessly strewn to either side, like she forgot them. She coughed. Her chest expanded with the effort to breathe. “No…not… die.” The words gurgled, like she was talking underwater. Crying, the tears slid back into her hair while her eyes tried to focus. Not dying, wasn’t important anymore. She was gone and everything she wanted or needed went with her. That’s death.
Maybe I should have wiped her tears, said something comforting or even answered back, but I didn’t know what to say to a stranger dying in my arms. I know she wanted to live. I could see it in the way she struggled to breathe, but I hadn’t known what to say to that. Until I saw her struggling, I hadn’t

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 25, 2008).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Her head lolled back. She wasn’t holding it up anymore.

I think this is redundant. If her head is lolling, she isn't holding it up anymore.

quote:
like she forgot them....like she was talking underwater
I find it better to just to say that her arms were "lying at her side, forgotten" or that she spoke through the gurgling, (if her lungs are filling with blood, you can say her voice drudged through the sludge of her blood filled lungs.) I think the analogies are too close together.

quote:
Crying, the tears slid back into her hair while her eyes tried to focus.
Again, this reads as redundant to me. "crying, the tears" might read better as just "her tears," or "she was crying. Her tears"

quote:
Not dying, wasn’t important anymore.
I don't understnad this part. But I don't know the rest of the story.

I pretty much like the rest. I think it's interesting and I would definately keep reading. Its written to where I'm able to get a pretty good picture of it.

[This message has been edited by Reagansgame (edited August 25, 2008).]

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adversity
Member # 8111

ReagansGame: Incorporated your suggestions rewrote 1st paragraph

REWRITE P1:
I held her in my arms. She moved her head trying to look at me, but she couldn’t hold it up any longer and it lolled back. Her arms were carelessly strewn to either side, forgotten. She coughed. Her chest expanded with the effort to breathe. “No…not… die.” The words gurgled as if she were talking underwater. The tears slid back into her hair while her eyes tried to focus. Not dying, wasn’t important anymore. She was gone and everything she wanted or needed went with her. That’s death.

question: I am trying to indicate her head was up at one point, please let me know if the change expresses that?

question: the 'Not dying, wasnt...' references the fact that she says she doesnt want to die, how might that be clearer?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

- posted      Profile for Palaytiasdreams   Email Palaytiasdreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Take the comma out "Not dying wasn't important anymore"

I like that sentance by the way.

Pal...puttin in her two cents

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adversity
Member # 8111

pal, so true it was a dead comma walking.
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah-hah!

I got it!

She says "not dying."
And he says.....

I like it! I see it in black-and-white. Will there be vampires with tommy-guns in this one? I'm hooked. Now what happens?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolarStone
Member # 3524

- posted      Profile for SolarStone   Email SolarStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the part where the dove flies up into the rain, hightlighted by the first ray of sunshine in days. No, not poking fun, just recounting the Batty death scene in BladeRunner. Why? Well, because it worked...because I cared about Roy Batty by that point. To start off with it would've come off as melodramatic pap. Having it start off with the death scene and move right into flashback is the only way it could've gotten worse.

“…She tried to look at me, but her head lolled back” would work. The whole turning her head trying to look is way redundant, like saying “He grabbed her with his hands” or “She thought in her mind”. Unless the dude has multiple arms or a prehensile tail it should just say, “He grabbed her. Ditto for, “She thought”. Everyone thinks with their mind. Hey, no male-bashing either all ye of the dirty minds. Anyhow, in an effort to be too exact when it’s unnecessary the reader will at first think their attention is being drawn to common things because there is something worth paying attention to, something unusual. Then, once they figure out it’s just the author trying to be dramatic, they get annoyed. “He walked in and sat down.” I didn’t have to say he turned the knob or what color the chair was…or that it was a chair. You assumed it. But if I say, “He carefully turned the knob to the right until the door clicked open…” there better be something cool or deadly on the other side of that door.

Having her arms strewn and forgotten evokes visions of them being severed. If that’s the case, then cool. My kind of book.

How ‘bout starting off with the event that resulted in her death? A little lead-in and WHAMMO, carnage! A brief vignette should do…

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adversity
Member # 8111

SolarStone: Yes, yes I do have a problem with redundancy. I really do.

I cant let you get to know this character, because her death is only important as a flashback haunting the MC. When she dies, she is still a stranger to the MC, although severed arms did sound like a great scene too. That being said, it drives the point home that she doesn't deserve a melodramatic death scene, even if I think their fun.

ReagansGame: Unfortunately people die softly in dystopia, think Soylent Green, or I would add vampires with tommy-gun b/c how hysterically freaking cool would that be!

P1 REVISION:
She died in my arms. Her last words were that she didn’t want to die, but by the time she finished saying them it was too late. Not dying wasn’t important anymore. She was gone and everything she wanted or needed went with her. That’s death.

Check this out and let me know if its a little closer to home anyone!

Reagansgame
Member # 8149

Hey, I love a good Tarantino beginning.

Oh my, she's dying and that's not important. Why! Tell me what happened now, please.

Starting in the thick of it is always good, but I must say there are plenty of us who love to see the result then solve the mystery for ourselves and watch it all come back 'round. I don't know, maybe it's cheating. My novel starts in present day, which is a prison cell or chatting about his innocence with the shrink and the whole thing is essentially a flash back.

And if you're really good at it, you can have reader so sure from the opening scene that they know exactly what is going to happen, that you can blow them away with a good plot twist at the end.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.